SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pistol Caliber Carbine?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol Caliber Carbine? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a Glock pattern AR9...pretty good.

I have a SIG MPX 8"...REALLY pretty good though I admit that it's not a carbine.

I'm now mulling over a Kalashnikov KP9 AK-style sub-gun...something kinda sexy about the thing having a magwell sized for a 9mm mag rather than an oversized magwell for 7.62x39 and some kind of insert. Generally it's been well-reviewed and received. Gun Jesus loves his.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I didn't care for the Scorpion myself. Even less a fan of the longer carbine configuration; I'm more fascinated with sub-guns instead of PCCs however. I know the Scorpion works well but the ergonomics kinda sucked for me. And they really capture that platicky feel (as opposed to a 'polymer' feel; there IS a difference), which for me wasn't a good thing. Okay price point; a Ruger PC9, however weird-looking, is just better priced. Plus I got LOTS of Glock mags already.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
About a year ago, I bought my first braced pistol (BTE 9mm AR platform) and SBR'd it. The stamp only took a month to arrive. As pleased as I've been with this SBR, I bought a B&T GHM9 Compact and I'm going through the SBR process on this now. Both are very compact and fun to shoot little 9mms, that I'm planning on suppressing some time in the future. I understand that getting stamps for those is more time consuming, but I think it'll be worth the wait.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As to PCC, I own two(2) of them. Both are MP5 clones(BW5FS, Z5RS), and I really enjoy them. My nephew has the Scorpion, and he loves it. I do not own any suppressors, as they don't call out to me. Now full auto, that is a different thing!!!

Life is short, and if you have the coin, then step into PCC World. You can always bail out if you are unhappy, but most do not.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
A suppressor needs to be 9 mm and the diameter fit the handguard. That means you cannot use a 45 caliber suppressor because the diameter may prevent it from fitting in the handguard.

Huh? While this may be true in some cases, it’s not true in all cases. Both the Obsidian 9 and 45 have the same 1.37” diameter.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Forgotten Weapons channel on You Tube just released an article on the CMMG Banshee 9x19 carbine. It has a good explanation of the radial delayed system. Coming up - they take it to the range.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine why forgotten weapons is working on the CMMG. I don't think its reached that stage in its lifecycle. I know some are sensitive to the blowback bolt on these things (I'm not) but it definitely reduces that. Not like its now an MP5 or MPX but its less. at the cost of fully proprietary.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
I love my ACP9.

Is it as good as a 5.56....no

Is it quieter, cheap ammo, low recoil and more than good enough for my HD set up. It sure is.

I love that I only stock 1 ammo.

147gr FMJ and HST. Covers all my basic need with a consolidated, available and affordable ammo set.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Stag Model 9. It is crazy fun to shoot. Yes 9mm ARs kick a bit more than you would think due to the blowback system and heavy bolt, but not that much. I had a Ruger PC 9 and it was ok, but definitely not better than my Stag. I use the Stag for PCC in USPSA and it is just a blast to shoot. I might get one of those Palmetto State Armory
AK-Vs if I get some FU money. But try PCC. And get that revolver. You can always use one more.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
I had a Camp9.Funnest little rifle I've ever owned.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
quote:
Originally posted by bnz42:
They are fun to shoot, and the ammo is cheap.

Succinct but true. I’ve had two “MP5s”, an MPX and now a CMMG Guard.

As someone who has all three of those, how does the Guard compare to the other two? After two disappointing experiences with straight-blowback PCCs, I'm considering an MPX, PTR 9CT, or a CMMG RDB build. The CMMG build would be the cheapest, and easiest as I already have a bunch of ARs, but I don't want to spend money on another gun I am not happy with. Trying one out would be best, but I don't know anyone locally who has one, so I'm looking for all the knowledgeable first-hand opinions I can get.

The radially delayed blowback is definitely softer shooting than straight blowback but not as soft as the MP series, either MPX or MP5.

I dislike blowback and after having two of the softest shooters in the series, I love my Guard.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input! Decisions, decisions...Big Grin

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
The big question you have to ask yourself, what is your level of interest in a pistol caliber carbine? Is it enough to justify the added expense and dedicated mags ?

That is a good question. One I'm trying to answer with all the info on this thread. Thanks to all who have posted! Helps me process the options...

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Multiple questions are being asked by the OP.

1) Scorpion as a PCC. Yes , a lot of after market support, upgrades , mags , etc. Very good bang for the buck.
2) Host for a suppressor. Yes, have to be careful of the Scorpion model--some come with fake flashhiders to make the barrel length legal. Also, you need to make sure the suppressor will fit in the handguard. Pistol vs SBR vs Brace, it becomes confusing.
3) Suppressor--yes on it's time to get a suppressor. A Trust may add another month to the wait but it allows another person(s) to use or possess the suppressor. A legal document that governs who "owns" the suppressor. See HeavyD post on Trusts in the classified. A suppressor needs to be 9 mm and the diameter fit the handguard. That means you cannot use a 45 caliber suppressor because the diameter may prevent it from fitting in the handguard.

Overall--CZ Scorpion is a great 9 mm pistol or pistol carbine or carbine. Feel free to ask other questions--a daunting process but worth it. You have to increase your 9 mm bullet weight to make suppressed shooting quieter, (115--->147).

Thank you. Very helpful.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deleted...oops, I forgot that I already posted to the thread. I blame it on the Covid-induced cabin fever.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ruger PCC 9mm to just with my Silencerco Octane 45HD. I use Glock mags with it since I have a couple of Gen 2 19s, one suppressor host. I wish the carbine was a little quieter with the suppressor but no regrets.

Carbine at 14:23

I also have a Ruger 77/357 and just got a Marlin 1894CSBL (both .357Mag). I would definitely pick the Marlin to keep out of all of them. Awesome gun, lots of fun. I’ll probably get it threaded for the suppressor.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty heavily invested in PCCs. My latest purchase was a HK SP5 to go with the Zenith Z-5RS that I SBR’d a couple of years ago. Also have SBR CZ Scorpion, CMMG Guard (9mm), and a LWRC SMG-45. Have some 16” guns (Scorpion Carbine, RRA LAR-9, MPX carbine, Tavor, and older school stuff), but since I got into SBRs and suppressors, I rarely shoot the long barrel stuff any more, other than the Tavor.

Lots of great options today, including PCC conversions that use standard unmodified AR lowers combined with special mags like the 9mm endomags or CMMG 5.7 conversions.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hollywood_shooter
posted Hide Post
I have a PCC I built up from an 80, but it's Glock mag.

I don't really understand why no one makes an 80 lower that is p226 based.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb with a Sig X-Six protesting that decision."

Posts: 125 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: November 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
I love my ACP9...

Please identify that Brace Adapter....Never seen one like that! Cool

I've searched all the usual purveyors of B&T hotness and can't seem to find it anywhere!

ETA - Found it --> https://customsmithmfg.com/sho...connectors-low-mount

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhracecraft,

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I only have one, a Ruger break-down PCC in 9mm, and really enjoy shooting it. It accepts Ruger, or with the included mag well, Glock magazines. I plink with it almost as much as my .22's.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Marlin of yours is beautiful, photoman.

I'm eyeing both the CZ Micro and the Ruger PC Charger. The CZ is more expensive and has a worse trigger, but the Ruger is nose-heavy and supposedly has significant POI shifts due to the removable and non-free-floated front end.

I want to like the Ruger more, especially when considering leaving a suppressor on, as the takedown feature would really accommodate that.

Anyone here use the Ruger PC Charger and experience either odd balance issues with the gun, and/or significant POI shifts?