SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield TRP vs TRP Operator
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield TRP vs TRP Operator Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

It's decision time. I am finally ready to order my new 1911. I was sure I was set on the "plain" TRP in . 45acp but now I have noticed a couple of differences (besides the rail) in the TRP Operator. The Operator is 3 oz heavier and listed as having a "bull barrel with fully supported feed ramp and 1 piece NM guide rod".
Is there any downside to these "upgrades" for range and competition with occasional CCW?
I know feed ramps and guide rods are of particular interest to 1911 gurus but I don't know why.

Can anyone provide any insight?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruce,

Of those features, the fully ramped, supported barrel would be the only upgrade that I'd consider useful.

The full length guide rod, in theory, prevents "spring-over" or "coil jump," in which the spring could bind against itself in the traditional 1911 with a half-length guide rod. Depending on the rod, some can be a pain in the butt to take apart, and the screw-together type do have a habit of unscrewing under fire.

The coned barrel, or bushingless barrel, is said to increase accuracy, but that's debateable. Lockup is tight, when the slide is fully forward and the barrel is held fast; as soon as the barrel unlocks, it's not. The same can be said for a barrel bushing on a conventional 1911; the bushing adds additional places for play, and thus a decrease in accuracy. Some novel ideas have come along, like spherical bushings, but overall, a well fitted 1911 barrel bushing lasts the life of the pistol and will provide excellent accuracy. A heavier coned barrel might have a reduction in harmonics, though I don't know how significant that is on that short a barrel anyway.

The TRP has an excellent reputation and for a production 1911, does come with nice features. It's not a bad choice. It goes without saying that for a few dollars more you're into the "semi-custom" market," and for about the same price point you can have some good makes like Dan Wesson, too. I don't think you'll go wrong with the TRP, and you'll be hard pressed to break it.

I believe one is for sale in the classifieds, or was, recently.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Both are capable of sub 3” groups at distance. The TRP has a 2-piece guide rod while the TRP Operator has a 1–piece guide rod. Both guns have Tritium night sights. The TRP has fixed Novak combat sights, the TRP Operator has a full adjustable rear sight. I found the TRP to have a better balance in the hand between the two. If I where to edc, I would the TRP due to its better balance. Good luck with your process.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I think I will go with the TRP, since it uses the barrel bushing set up. I am looking for a very traditional 1911 so that fits the bill.
I'm going with Springfield over something like a Dan Wesson because I can get a discount through work.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I think you’ll be happy with it
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I think I will go with the TRP, since it uses the barrel bushing set up. I am looking for a very traditional 1911 so that fits the bill.
I'm going with Springfield over something like a Dan Wesson because I can get a discount through work.

Bruce

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Neither. I just can't deal with the cheese grater front straps on them.

Give me 25 LPI any day.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Neither. I just can't deal with the cheese grater front straps on them.

Give me 25 LPI any day.

Bob

The 10mm Operator has more of a fish scale front strap checkering. I like the look. It grips pretty well (in the LGS).

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bruce

If you're wanting the more traditional 1911, then yes, the standard TRP gets the nod.

However, IMHO, the Operator is a significant upgrade package...bull barrel and 'buried' adjustable sights in particular. The rail is also a bonus, but you'll need new holster(s) if you don't already have ones for railed 1911's.

IMHO, this may be one of the best 'shooter' 1911 'package' guns out there, especially for the $$. I really like the gray version.

One YT review...the catapult throw Roll Eyes nice to know it can take it, but again Roll Eyes

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmnyOfCiaUs

ETA...another vid:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61NYHMT7ms0

Boss

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Boss1,

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Then there's the TRP Operator in 10 mm with a bushing/barrel and standard GI guide rod/spring set up in case you wanted more decisions to make. Big Grin

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there any downside to these "upgrades" for range and competition with occasional CCW?

Depends on the competition. Unless things have changed recently, the coned/bull barrel would keep you out of Single Stack in USPSA and CDP in IDPA.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Interesting point. I will have to look more into the rules.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love my TRP. Fantastic pistol. The first time I picked it up I thought the front strap was WAY too sharp. After I shot it a bit either it or my hand broke in and now I prefer it to all my other 1911s. It definitely isn't slipping around in your grip. Ever. And if you need to grate some lemon zest for a tasty beverage and can't find a grater, Springfield has you covered.

I'm not a fan of rails or adjustable sights on a 1911, but I admit that I am something of a traditionalist. It took me far longer than I would like to admit to warm to beavertails...

Both are top of the line for production level guns. Either is an excellent choice, it just depends on what your preferences are.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I went TRP. No rail was desired. Accurate. Reliable. Hard to beat for the price. Replaced the guide rod abortion with a standard GI. No multi-piece or full length guide rods for me. I tried them - for me, simple is better.

As others have mentioned, the 20 LPI on the front strap was an annoyance - and in truth was why I sold it.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
All this talk about cheese grater front straps is making me consider a stainless model (maybe soften the sharp edges) or a 10mm TRP Operator with the tamer, fish scale checkering.
The Loaded 10mm model would cost me about $350 less. No front strap checkering, at all. I like the rear sight but am not a fan of the fiber optic front.

I do prefer the sights on the 10mm TRP to the sights of both the 45 TRP and the 45 TRP Operator.

Bruce

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
If you decide to go 10mm, use the Wilson Combat 9 round magazine (47NX).
quote:
All this talk about cheese grater front straps is making me consider a stainless model (maybe soften the sharp edges) or a 10mm TRP Operator with the tamer, fish scale checkering.
The Loaded 10mm model would cost me about $350 less. No front strap checkering, at all. I like the rear sight but am not a fan of the fiber optic front.

I do prefer the sights on the 10mm TRP to the sights of both the 45 TRP and the 45 TRP Operator.

Bruce

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I went ahead with ordering the TRP standard model in 45acp. Black-T finish. I may change the sights to the type with a rear ledge but other than that, I think it's perfect.

Thanks for all the input.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
Excellent move; great pistol!

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 796 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I just today found out that the ETA for my TRP is "between 6 and 12 months".
I didn't think I was buying a NFA item! Darned gun panics...

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
6 to 12 months? That sucks. There are a couple still on the shelves around here. HKs and upper end production 1911s are about ALL you can still find on shelves here right now. Well, that and revolvers.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had both and prefer the original non rail TRP.

Posts: 31 | Registered: October 23, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post