SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Just One Doesn't Cut It - Update with Range Results
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just One Doesn't Cut It - Update with Range Results Login/Join 
posted
I have a birthday coming up this month, so my wife and I headed to the Nation's Gun Show at the Dulles Expo Center in Northern Virginia. I had a few candidates in mind -- CZ Scorpion Evo, Ruger Super Blackhawk .454 Casull, etc. Still not sold on the pistol caliber carbine (unless you go the SBR path) and no single action .454 Casull Rugers to be found.

Ended up with my wife buying me a SIG P226 Legion SAO. Apparently, I'm unable to resist the SIG goodness. The seller had three. All the triggers were good, but one was just a bit crisper, so I ended up with that one. Nothing fits my hand quite as well as the P226, particularly the Legion.

They also had a SIG P238 HD with the nickel PVD finish. The P238 is my favorite "micro-compact" .380 (to use SIG's latest description) to shoot. I believe this model has been discontinued by SIG, and I've seen it on clearance sale online. I prefer the nickel finish to the new models natural stainless finish.

We headed home with just the Legion, but the P238 was calling me, so I returned to pick it up at close to the lowest online price.

I'll be interested to see what difference the extra 5 ounces the stainless steel frame adds over the allow frame when I next head to the range. I set the SIG emblem black wood grips aside and installed Hogue G10's with the Chain Link texture (black/gray).

It is a real blessing to have a wife that understands the SIG addiction. On the other hand, I'm understanding of her David Yurman addiction.

Range report to follow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MagnumU,

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday, indeed!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Well, she's definitely a keeper! Nice job on that SAO Legion. I need a freind who has one so I can try it. Dang it. You're Dulles not Dallas. Big Grin

I have the 238 HD and prefer it over the alum frame 238. I believe you will see a fair difference in recoil. Be careful though as my wife is trying to make the 238 HD her own...

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely a keeper. She's trying to make my favorite SIG her own -- a P229 Sport in .357 SIG.

I'm hoping I'll be able to use the P238 HD's lower felt recoil to help new, recoil sensitive shooters move up from .22.

I like your signature line -- it reminds me of Depeche Mode's "Policy of Truth."

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Legion...and your wife.

I'm not a believer in the mission statement of the HD 238 variant, but if it works for you I suppose congratulations is also in order there as well.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Wow great birthday gifts.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I like your choices. I have similar – P226 SAO (X5 Comp) and a P238. I treated my X5 to a Robert Burke action job. Quite a wonderful trigger now.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't think I'd carry the P238 HD (I have a P238 SAS for that role), but I'm hoping it will be a good practice pistol for the range.

I was leaning to the Glock 42 for some time, but am coming back to the P238.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Just about the same thing happened to me a few years ago... but for the David Yurman thing.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fine examples of craftsmanship in stainless steel. They look great together!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:

They also had a SIG P238 HD with the nickel PVD finish.

I thought the HD was a stainless model?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The current HD is stainless, with "natural stainless finish." The discontinued one I picked up is stainless with a Nickel PVD finish.

posted Hide Post
^^^ Thanks, we need PIXS! Big Grin

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fine examples of craftsmanship in stainless steel. They look great together!

Thank you sir.

I have an all stainless P220 that goes with these, but I've yet to find matching grips that fit.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excam_Man is right, here is a picture of my new P226 Legion, P238 HD Nickel, and for grins my P229 Sport.

Finally, since no picture is complete without a blade, a Gerber Commando II.

posted Hide Post
While it's not the best picture, comparing the one above to the one from .38supersig, shows the subtle bronze / gold tone that the Nickel PVD finish adds.

posted Hide Post
Did they make the P938 in that nickel finish??

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never seen one. A quick internet search shows it was in the SIG catalog in 2015 and a lot of the discussion threads say they weren't seen in the wild. Unless I've missed something, there isn't a stainless frame P938 in SIG's current catalog.

Maybe a steel frame P938 couldn't compete with the compact 1911 based 9mm.

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday to you

Congratulations on the new Legion
quote:
Definitely a keeper. She's trying to make my favorite SIG her own -- a P229 Sport in .357 SIG.

I'm hoping I'll be able to use the P238 HD's lower felt recoil to help new, recoil sensitive shooters move up from .22.

I like your signature line -- it reminds me of Depeche Mode's "Policy of Truth."

The P229 Sport is one of my favorite SIGs as well. You might just have to go find another to buy.

The P229 platform and the 357SIG cartridge just go together

My Ex used to monopolize my P229 Sport Stock.
She is gone, but I still have the firearm Smile

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep an eye out for them at the local gun stores. Saw one in .40 S&W last year, but decided to pass on it. If .357 SIG conversion barrels that worked with the compensator had been available, I might have jumped at it.