SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 misfeed issue.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 misfeed issue. Login/Join 
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted
I have a mid-90's P220. I am not the original owner, so I have no idea how many rounds have actually been through the gun. I have put many thousands through it myself.

Lately, after years of rock-solid service, it has begun failing-to-feed on the last round of the magazine. The round will be at a relatively sharp angle, such that the nose of the bullet is hung on the roof of the chamber. The round will drop free of the chamber when I drop the mag to clear the pistol. IOW, it's not jammed solid.

I though it might be the mags, but it happens with SIG mags without the dimple, SIG mags with the dimple, Mec-Gar mags, doesn't matter. It's not every single time, but enough that it's a significant annoyance.

I know I have never changed out any springs, so might this be related to the "many thousands of rounds?"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: g8rforester,

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd start there. Doesn't work, move on to something else on the pistol.
Does sound like a magazine issue though and if it worked good before with the same magazines....

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Maybe the magazines need a good cleaning, or the springs may be getting weak.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
As others have said, start with the springs.

IMO, the mid 90's P-220s are as good as it gets. They may not have rails, they may not have tails, but they are as good as it gets.

Please let us know what you find.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Has the breech block roll pin been changed since you've had the pistol?

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I would first try replacing the recoil spring. I replace my Classic line SIG recoil springs every 2500 rounds, but the last time I looked, the factory recommendation was every 5K.

But as parabellum suggests, the breechblock retaining pins should be replaced as well, if it's been more than 5000 rounds since they were.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Has the breech block roll pin been changed since you've had the pistol?

I have not. I was unaware that was a thing. I'll start with that and the springs.

Thanks all.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post