SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New P238 came with broken night sight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New P238 came with broken night sight Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Got it about a month ago, have been busy so no time to address the issue.

One of the rear night sights is dead. Must have been that way from the factory as the sights show no signs of being dropped on.

Called SIG, they gave me two options:

1. pre-paid shipping back to the factory for them to replace it. Wait time is ~3 weeks.

2. they can send me a rear sight and I can take it to a shop to have it installed. I'll have to pay for the service, though.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement. Would've thought QC would've caught this.

Other than that, the pistol is nice and the wife likes it. It's the SAS model, got her an extended magazine and installed an ambi safety for her since she's left handed.

Posts: 13108 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
Sucks it happened. Could have happened during transit or at the dealers shop. I have seen a fair share of boxes getting dropped and things breaking by accident, hard to put blame directly on Sig.

Send it back for the fix and life goes on.

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: "I'll have to pay for the service, though."

I don't think that would cost much. And could be done while you wait. I don't think SIG sights the gun in – they just center the sight in the dovetail.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not the first time I've heard that happening! I hate sending a gun back .......probably cost you about $25 if you have it done. Be careful though,I sent a Sig 250 to a "reputable" gunsmith because I had the same problem a dead night sight and he did something to the nickel finish and it screwed it up and he ended up Ceracoating the slide to fix the blue smudge. It looks ok but I liked the nickel finish better.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Tritium gas is enclosed in a glass vial and Tritium is a radioactive isotope of Hydrogen the gas with the smallest molecule size in existence. Which means it can leak through fissures that require the use of an Electron Microscope to be visible. The "average" lifespan for containing the Tritium in these glass vials is 5 years but that is just the "average". Means in some cases they can last 10 years and in others only a few weeks. What I am saying here is that Sig or any other firearms manufacturer isn't going to use an Electron Microscope to inspect every Tritium vial, if they did they would have to add about 3000 dollars to the cost of each pistol. Of course if you happen to have an Electron Microscope in your back pocket next time you are shopping for a gun I am sure the gun shop will allow you to inspect what is visible with your electron microscope.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5646 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Maybe send only slide? Cheaper. They would only center the sight.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
You mean you can't install the sight yourself???

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post