SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tell me about the SIG P225A1 besides it’s a P239 in drag.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about the SIG P225A1 besides it’s a P239 in drag. Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
Any gotchas, issues etc. likes? Dislikes? Anybody with experience with the original and this?

Thanks much,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
It's awesome. I owned the original P225 also but prefer the A1. For me the grip felt better and the trigger guard was less crowded.

Sold the original and never looked back.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
It is a great, accurate pistol that just plain fits nicely in the hand and balances perfectly. Mine is a tack driver and the nicest handling/feeling single stack 9mm I've ever shot. Soft shooting and excellent trigger too. If you are pretty certain to get one also check out gunmagwarehouse.com for the cheapest price on the spare mags $19.99!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I've got the racing stripe version. I need a taller front sight something fierce. Other than that, it's got what feels like a slightly longer and thicker grip than the 239. For the sight radius, it's a fairly easy pistol to shoot well.

BTW, I took DTech's advice earlier. You just can't beat the gunmagwarehouse deal, and the mags showed up new in wrapper/preservative oil/box.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with others who have shot the P225A1. Feels great in the hand and is a natural pointer. Conceals very well and mine has been 100% reliable and amazingly accurate. For what I want in a Concealed carry weapon it is perfect. Have come to prefer carrying the Sig P225A1 over my Glock Gen4 19.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely an awesome gun. You won't be disappointed.

Like someone else said, the medallion grips bother me, but they feel great so I deal with them.

I have an original p225 and I can say that the new one feels better.

The biggest negative is round count, made worse by the magazine base plate. They could totally get another round in there but they adapted p239 magazines to fit instead of designing a new mag.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Laptop
posted Hide Post
I'll echo what others have said. Someone mentioned it's so good that it could be considered a Legion series. It's an amazing piece.

Posts: 76 | Registered: November 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
More traditional shape for the eye.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Yea my one wish would be for a magazine that uses the entire length for capacity. The number dosen't bother me, the original held the same, but when I see all that wasted space I just sigh and think "What if..." lol. I understand why they did it (to use the same magazine bodies, springs, and followers from inventory for the P239), but still.

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but they have +1 mag bases they could have used!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like everyone else has said already, the P225A1 is a great pistol. After I purchased and fired mine I happily retired my P239 and haven't looked back. It feels great in the hand and is a comfortable pistol to shoot, utterly reliable.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will it fit Holsters made for any other gun models (like a P228/P229/P239), or do you have to order one specifically made for it?

Posts: 52 | Registered: September 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZGlock13:
Will it fit Holsters made for any other gun models (like a P228/P229/P239), or do you have to order one specifically made for it?

I can't speak for Kydex holster but my P225A1 fits in the leather pancake I use for my P229 but because the leather has stretched around the P229 it's a little loose. If you buy a new P229/P228 non-rail holster it should fit snugly. I intend to purchase one from DeSantis.

https://www.desantisholster.com/THUMB-BREAK-SCABBARD

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So you guys are supposed to be telling me it’s a “new” SIG and it sucks with horrible QC and a pale imitation of the original.

Sigh. I have owned and sold 2 P225s and I always miss them. I was hoping to hear how much the new one sucks.

God damn enablers the lot of you. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been lusting for a P220 Stainless Elite but now I may have to abandon that idea and go P225A1.
Cheaper too!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh.
I have also been wanting to be hearing -- for a while now -- that they are only so so. But I think it has to be next on the list before the K6.
Besides the short reset, how is the trigger in DA and SA?

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P239 Rainbow Titanium resents your title. He/she thinks your transphobic.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The trigger on my example is, no kidding, the best out of the box trigger of any Sig I own. DA is fantastic and super easy to score dead center hits with.

posted Hide Post
I liked mine enough that I bought a bunch of mags and a spare gun. I will ditto that the out of box stock trigger was easily one of if not the best I’ve owned from Sig, including my Legion, and my W Germans. Lol

I have to mod slide release because I ride it but that is my only complaint.

Great gun. Needs one more round in mag. Would be perfecto.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
Ugh.
I have also been wanting to be hearing -- for a while now -- that they are only so so. But I think it has to be next on the list before the K6.
Besides the short reset, how is the trigger in DA and SA?

The trigger is awesome, somehow seems smoother in both DA & SA than my other SIGs, and the reset seems shorter. Only downside is I can't shoot it very well. That's a pretty big downside. It's not the gun, it's me. I think the grips are too thin and I'm doing something weird with my grip. I don't make it to range to practice until winter sets, so I'll see if I can improve. If not, it may be up for sale, which I would hate, because I love this gun. My GF says the reset is too short, which is a strange observation, she's only shot it twice and I've only shot it 4-5 times.

So my only complaint is the shooter, the gun is awesome.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20818 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post