SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's.
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's. Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
Agony thanks for the update it’s what I know I’ve expected and happy to hear. Your project with the rmr has more than anything else pointed me in that direction in the future. The 17 looks great no need to clean it.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
You're welcome.
Yeah I have a feeling this gun will continue to run without any hiccups for a long time.
My initial distrust of RMR's is gone.
I even thought about upgrading to the trijicon type 2 but honestly, don't feel a need.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:
Okay so it's been almost four months since I updated this post.
I had two hiccups since then, the first was during a practice a couple days after Christmas. The RMR17 decided it didn't like a batch of 124gr JHP defensive practice rounds I reloaded a few days before. Two or three stoppages with each mag. Turns out it was the ammo, as I used a different COL on these rounds as they were bullets I never used prior. After I figured it out, it ran like a champ again

Then a couple weeks ago during a 3 day defensive pistol class the Trijicon RMR stopped working. Turns out the battery was depleted. A quick battery change during the lunch break on the second day of the class and it was up and running again. I didn't get to prep the screws with a proper cleaning and loctite activator, so I had to tighten it down four times during the rest of the weekend. Luckily I didn't lose any screws. When I got home I was able to break it down for a complete cleaning and re-did the loctite properly. No issues since.

Total rounds through the RMR17: 30,085
Total rounds through the ETS mags: 36,183

Surefire X300 is still running well. I did change the batteries today.
No loosening of the front sight at all.
No hiccups with the gun overall other than the ammo-related issues I mentioned above.
No probs with the ETS 22 round mags.
The gun has been cleaned twice since my last post in December. Once prior to the defensive class I took, and again right after.
The VDI barrel is still running fine, without any discernable loss in accuracy.
It is of note that I did run 400+ rounds of subsonic stuff through it while suppressed right after Christmas, just because my brother was visiting from out of country and really wanted to shoot it with the Omega 9K.
No pics this time. Next post for sure.
Smile

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sweet thanks for the update!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm..... 30+K with no problems. I have not looked into pistol optics because I felt they were not reliable and durable.
Maybe time to rethink RMRs.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent review. Never thought of going to a RMR pistol until recently. I had shot a buddies RMR equipped G19 and G26 years ago. He is a retired NYPD guy who told me then, "the eyes are the first to go". At that time, he had years on me so while it was "cool" I didn't think it was very practical.
Fast forward to now and I know he was right!
Yesterday I took out my home assembled collection of Glock and other parts with a 12.9 moa Trijicon RMR on top. Ran flawlessly and after a few mags, I was quick with it....and accurate! Big triangle easy to use for fast close up shots, and I set it with the tip of the triangle as POI for precision shots.
I'll give it a year or two before deciding to mount one on my G21. The G43 wears Ameriglo agent sights for now.......

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Agony,

Just wanted to jump in to compliment you on your fine, highly detailed photography. It's been a pleasure following your quest for perfection.

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Hmmm..... 30+K with no problems. I have not looked into pistol optics because I felt they were not reliable and durable.
Maybe time to rethink RMRs.

To be fair, the RMR died at around the one year/15k round mark. It went back to Trijicon and was fixed in about three weeks IIRC. I'm expecting it to die any day now since another 15k rounds have been through the gun since the optic was repaired. Smile

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by josp:
Excellent review. Never thought of going to a RMR pistol until recently. I had shot a buddies RMR equipped G19 and G26 years ago. He is a retired NYPD guy who told me then, "the eyes are the first to go". At that time, he had years on me so while it was "cool" I didn't think it was very practical.
Fast forward to now and I know he was right!
Yesterday I took out my home assembled collection of Glock and other parts with a 12.9 moa Trijicon RMR on top. Ran flawlessly and after a few mags, I was quick with it....and accurate! Big triangle easy to use for fast close up shots, and I set it with the tip of the triangle as POI for precision shots.
I'll give it a year or two before deciding to mount one on my G21. The G43 wears Ameriglo agent sights for now.......

That's great! I'm glad at least a couple people that have been through this thread have started using an RMR. And as you mentioned, it really is a life-saver for older, failing eyesight.

Throw up some pics of your pistol!

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael J. Shannon:
Hey, Agony,

Just wanted to jump in to compliment you on your fine, highly detailed photography. It's been a pleasure following your quest for perfection.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Sweet thanks for the update!

Thanks guys!

Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed the thread a lot though admittedly I don't read it regularly.

When you replaced the RSA do you notice a difference? i.e., ejection or any other function?

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you were starting this project today, would you go with the same slide or with the G17 MOS? Or another company? I’m planning on going this route in the next year or two and am looking for input.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nframe:
I've enjoyed the thread a lot though admittedly I don't read it regularly.

When you replaced the RSA do you notice a difference? i.e., ejection or any other function?

LOL I haven't read it regularly either. Big Grin
Honestly, no diff between the stock RSA vs the tungsten rod I was running when I first put the gun together. Recoil is negligible as is, and ejection hasn't been an issue. I was afraid of brass to face issues, but haven't had it with the Unity slide and Apex tactical combo.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
If you were starting this project today, would you go with the same slide or with the G17 MOS? Or another company? I’m planning on going this route in the next year or two and am looking for input.

If I were to do it again, I still think I'd go with the Atom slide. I've been more than happy with it. For the price, it's plug and play right out of the box. No need to send in a slide for milling. I liked it so much that a year ago I built an Atom on a 19 as my carry gun and it has been super reliable. MOS guns seem to sit the RMR a little higher than the Unity Atom. A custom milled slide would be the ideal but then you're stuck with the optic you have it milled for, and won't be able to upgrade to a potential future optic that may be better than what's available now.

Picture of Scsu74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:

If I were to do it again, I still think I'd go with the Atom slide. I've been more than happy with it. For the price, it's plug and play right out of the box. No need to send in a slide for milling. I liked it so much that a year ago I built an Atom on a 19 as my carry gun and it has been super reliable. MOS guns seem to sit the RMR a little higher than the Unity Atom. A custom milled slide would be the ideal but then you're stuck with the optic you have it milled for, and won't be able to upgrade to a potential future optic that may be better than what's available now.

Was worried about that when Trij came out with the type 2, thankfully they kept the foot print the same.

X-Carry (ACRO & DPP slides), X5 x2 (w/ DPPs, gas pedals, Springer guide rods)

Posts: 293 | Location: Up Nort | Registered: July 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been discussed a bunch but I've now a bunch more rounds than agony on RMR glocks, but spread over way more guns so I don't have any single one with those round counts. That's why I like this thread and many,many thanks to agony for updating it. The MOS is a bit higher than a milled slide, but I don't notice it all. If you are unsure if you will like an optic its an easy choice as if you don't like it you just have a glock you can use. If you can get irons that are usable that's all you really need. Of my collection of now a really, really large collection of RMR's I've had to send one Type 1 back. I have not had any issues with a Type 2. I am slowly migrating the Type 1's to non slide mounted uses, but that's probably not really necessary. I've been milling everything I own, its a game changer and there is really no downside that I can see.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Yeah over the past year I've spent equal time between this RMR17 and my RMR26L as it's my edc gun. I have yet to have any failures with the 26L or its gen1RMR but I'm sure it'll happen soon as it's approaching 15k rounds. I totally abandoned my original thread about that gun, but there isn't much difference between it and the 17 other than using OEM mags with it. I'm still toying with the idea of getting my 43 milled for an RMR but haven't felt the need to do so yet. Despite feeling inadequate without an RMR when I carry it. Optics have changed my carry habits completely.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm going to quit running my mouth and man up for a RMR. I will either send off a M&P 2.0 or a Gen5 17.

I think I am going to go with a 3.25 MOA RMR though. I think those are the hardest two choices to me. I've read this thread and a couple of others a bunch over the last six months, wrung my hands, and now is the time to pull the pin.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post