SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's.
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's. Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
I've my first RMR coming. I've a Leupold DPP and AP T-1 mounted, and way back when had a JP optic on, but never an RMR. Where exactly does dielectric grease go?

The grease goes under the sight, beneath the battery and around the base of the RMR.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Davenator:
I just attended an excellent RDS class last weekend with Modern Samaraui Project near DFW. 10 students, no failures

1 P320 w/ Vortex Venom
1 FN 509 w/ RMR
8 Glocks w/ various types of RMR’s.

The instructor said Energizer batteries suck, Duracell only for this application.
Loctite mounting screws and don’t over tighten. Once installed, tap all four corners of optic base to make sure it’s properly seated.

That's great news!
Do you know of the the RMR's used, which were older units and which were the 2.0 versions?

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
quote:
I've my first RMR coming. I've a Leupold DPP and AP T-1 mounted, and way back when had a JP optic on, but never an RMR. Where exactly does dielectric grease go?

The grease goes under the sight, beneath the battery and around the base of the RMR.

Where does it go with relationship to sealing plate, between battery and plate, or between plate and slide?

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Where does it go with relationship to sealing plate, between battery and plate, or between plate and slide?

I put a very light coat on the battery and the plate, and around the border/base of the RMR. Not much but enough to give it a seal. Dunno if it does anything, but my sight has been fine for a while, and no signs of corrosion even after soaking wet rains.

posted Hide Post
Thank you, will give it a go.

posted Hide Post
quote:
That's great news!
Do you know of the the RMR's used, which were older units and which were the 2.0 versions?

I don't know that.

Here's a direct link to the instructor's (Scott Jedlinski of Modern Samurai Project) recent post on RDS durability and installation advice. https://pistol-forum.com/showt...iewfull=1#post743122

After the class, I'm a believer in the RDS concept and agree that it's the future. I think it's a good solution for a lot of people. OTOH, still having pretty good eyesight, I'll hold out for version 3 or 4 in the next 5-10 years.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quick update:
I picked up ten of the OEM Glock X 19 round mags. I didn't know they were available for sale without having to buy the GlockX so I jumped on some while I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket. Yeah they are a bit expensive, but I've wanted solid tan coloured mags forever. Sadly they are coyote tan rather than the Glock FDE colour, but hey they still look pretty cool.

I ran one full mag each through four of them for a total of 77 rounds. I dig them much more than the ETS mags I've been shooting since before the start of this thread. And because they are OEM they should run reliably forever, right? Smile

Total through the RMR17 pistol: 33,062 rounds
Total through ETS mags: 39,006 rounds

Your thread has inspired me to build up a similar pistol: Glock 17 MOS with a FastFire III (had that one laying around already), Streamlight TLR-1 and a SilencerCo threaded barrel. I also took 6 G17 mags and added factory +2 bases to them. They’re working great with this pistol so far and I love the way they fit with my Magpul well.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Posts: 327 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stormin:
Your thread has inspired me to build up a similar pistol: Glock 17 MOS with a FastFire III (had that one laying around already), Streamlight TLR-1 and a SilencerCo threaded barrel. I also took 6 G17 mags and added factory +2 bases to them. They’re working great with this pistol so far and I love the way they fit with my Magpul well.

That's great! I expect a range report.
And pics of your setup! Smile

Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stormin:

That's great! I expect a range report.
And pics of your setup! Smile

Yep, I need to get on that ;-)

Posts: 327 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update:
The clicking in the Vickers TangoDown extended mag release started getting worse again. To the point where every time I would actuate the release, it would click as if getting hung up somwhere. Then I got a couple of failures in the release working. It would simply lock up and not move at all. I had to reposition the pistol and push the button while it was laying on her side. This is not acceptable.
So I replaced it with a Glock gen4 extended mag release. I had it on a 17 that sits in the gun safe as a spare. It works fine. No clicking, no hang-ups. It does feel a little shallower than the Vickers but still much better than the oem mag release. I'm used to it anyway as I have the Glock extended release on my 26L carry gun.

I haven't had any problems with any of the Vickers in my other pistols, but then they haven't been fired as often as this one.

Total through RMR17: 33,702 rounds
Total through ETS mags: 39,606 (40 rounds went through the 19x mags during a class I taught today.)

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
It's been 4 months since I updated this thread.
I'm still shooting this gun almost exclusively, although I also shoot my 26L regularly as well. I kinda gave up shooting my 43 other than a couple mags a month.

I haven't bought a gun in a long time. Glocks are boringly reliable, and there's nothing on the market that strikes my fancy as a must-have. I think I've hit the point in my middle-aged life where my gun buying days are over.

I don't feel an urge to get a gen5 Glock. I'm perfectly happy with the gen4's. Also as a lefty, the ambi slide stop on the 5's kinda pisses me off.

I'm still shooting 150rds twice a week.
I've only participated in one 3 day class since my last post.

Anyway here's the stats to date:

Total rounds through the RMR17: 37,310
Total rounds through the ETS mags: 43,214

No problems to report since the last update.
No updates to the pistol.
I did replace the batteries in the surefire.
I haven't cleaned the pistol since the last post either. Just a couple wipes with a rag.
No issues with the RMR.
No loosening of the screws.
The front sight has remained secure.
No issues with the mag release.
The trigger has broken in very well and is quite consistent. Probably the best overwatch trigger in any of my Glocks, mostly because I use this pistol a lot live and dryfire practice.

I'm at the point where the RDS is natural. My eye seeks the red dot as soon as I break kydex. This is true for both this gun and my edc 26L.

I do shoot a few mags through irons (G43) just to ensure I don't lose it. I doubt that after decades of shooting irons anyone could really lose this ability. Plus teaching classes to beginners keeps me focused, pun intended.

I think that once I hit the 50k round mark with the ETS mags I'm gonna retire them.
Not because they have malfunctioned since the very early bobbles a couple yrs ago, but because they are simply ugly.
And with the release of the OEM Glock FDE mags, I see no reason to use these anymore. Kudos to ETS though for making good mags. I would have no reservations relying on these six mags for serious work if needed. However I'd still recommend OEM mags to anyone as their primary.

I'll try to update sooner next time.
Smile

posted Hide Post
Does anyone know a source for mounting screws that attach RMR to Unity adapters? I can't remount my RMR back on because I misplaced those damn screws. Unity folks are very nice and courteous but they don't have those screws in stock. They were supposed to have it after the 15th, then it got changed to "next week", I am hoping it will be the case but I wish I could get them elsewhere.

Separately, after one week of carrying a G26 with type 2 RMR, I removed the type 2 and installed type 1. I found auto adjust sorely lacking and I've no desire to remember about this every 16 hours.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know a source for mounting screws that attach RMR to Unity adapters? I can't remount my RMR back on because I misplaced those damn screws. Unity folks are very nice and courteous but they don't have those screws in stock. They were supposed to have it after the 15th, then it got changed to "next week", I am hoping it will be the case but I wish I could get them elsewhere.

Separately, after one week of carrying a G26 with type 2 RMR, I removed the type 2 and installed type 1. I found auto adjust sorely lacking and I've no desire to remember about this every 16 hours.

Hmmm, the other option other than waiting is to get another RMR Unity adapter as it comes with the screws. Kinda spendy though.

posted Hide Post
Very complete post on that RMR equipped Glock.
I have one comment. Location of where the red
dot is mounted is important. I've found by using the Race Mount (Lone Wolf's term) that milling removes the rear dove tail (allowing the sight to set at it's farthest back) allows for most of your present holsters to work with the sight
mounted.__ Providing you intend to use a holster with your red dot mounted pistol.
Size of the sight is important too__if planing on EDC.
The Shield RMS or RMSc sight is actually small and intended for pistols__and due to the pistols slide's slamming the frame it's built to take that abuse.
And, since all of my personal red dot sight equipped pistols will carry perfectly I like that the Shield sights are on all the time (No Off or On buttons__no buttons of any kind) and no setting the brightness since the brightness changes automatically instantly relative the atmosphere.
There may be more "ruggedness" desired for most of us who'll not be in the middle east in fire fights__the Shield sights are plenty stout without the bulk of other red dots.
Shield Sights aren't a new kid on the block as they've been building optics for the UK military for thirty years. Only in the last eighteen months have they been selling commercial.
In short > a sight's size and the location of the red dot on the slide is important.
The size of the dot is personal preference. I go with 6MOA to 8MOA because I'm set up for self defense situations only. If you want accuracy at distances__ 3MOA is fine.
These are only my personal prefs. Respectful of
other's.

Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delong31
posted Hide Post
Awesome long term review. I’ve decided to jump into the pistol RDS scene recently so I enjoyed the thread. I’m taking the easy way with the M17 and DPP. Just need to find a DPP while my gun fund gets back to black.

Posts: 88 | Location: DFW | Registered: June 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just received 3 pair from Battlewerx. Fast shipping also.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have one comment. Location of where the reddot is mounted is important.

I would not agree with that. For what reason? Holster fit? I have had no problem using std. kydex bladetech holsters with an RMR mounted on numerous guns (Glock, HK, 1911, Sig to name a few). For aiming it simply doesn't matter (at least in the range that gets used). The single key issue to me on an EDC pistol is that you have access to backup iron sights. And milling off the dovetail without putting another one on the slide (as is sometime done to put the sight in front) is just dumb.
As for the Shield I have no experience, but I do have experience on lots of other sights and the autoadjust functions on most of these don't cope well with real life (try running the gun with a light for example, or standing in blazing sun shooting a shaded targets). If they have mastered that aspect I'd be happy to give them a try if the mounting pattern was something common.
In any case I would like to thank agony for updating this post. I appreciate it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

The single key issue to me on an EDC pistol is that you have access to backup iron sights. And milling off the dovetail without putting another one on the slide (as is sometime done to put the sight in front) is just dumb.

Sign me into a dumb camp. After a couple of months of futzing around with optics, and couple of months more of a serious dry and live fire, 4500 rounds or so, personally I would not care a whole lot about rear dovetail. I only use a back-up front sight. Won't be taking 25 yard shots with it but out to 8-10 I am pretty confident.
I still have a rear dovetail and there is a sight in it, as a matter of practicality, in case I want to go irons only. But it is not a suppressor height. Supp sights in a conventional position print beyond anything that I call concealment, at least on me and anyone else I've seen them use in person. Supp sight a'la Unity position is better but it brings RMR back and now housing prints. My arrangement puts RMR lower and gets rid of that pimple of a rear sight while still allowing for a backup option. That's the only way I can conceal an RMR enabled pistol to my satisfaction. Incidentally, I am also faster with using the high vis front sight inside the window vs trying to align it within a shallow and narrow notch of a supp rear sight.
How dumb is that?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YVK,

posted Hide Post
Everything we do with guns and carrying them is a set of tradeoff's. Yours are not tradeoff's I would make, nor are they tradeoff's I have heard others make, and frankly I'd be uncomfortable with them. Just the same as I would be uncomfortable with someone telling me that the rear sight fell of their iron sighted carry gun and they aren't replacing it as actual aiming really isn't needed since they mostly point shoot without aiming.
I've been carrying an RMR equipped gun for years now and I don't have any print problems from either the optic or the sights, but everybody carries differently. I really have a hard time understanding that a taller rear sight makes a print issue when its so close to the much taller RMR, but I really don't care to understand. If you have the issue, you have it.
If you are happy with your situation and solutions that's all that matters.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
UPDATE, 12/1/2018

Total rounds through the RMR17: 38,860
Total rounds through the ETS mags: 44,764
Well, I taught a small basic CCW class two weekends ago, then did a day-long advanced training course afterwards. During one of the drills, I had to drop to prone but the RMR hit a barrier on the way down. The RMR got really loose. I essentially sheared the left-sided screw that holds the RMR to the adapter plate, rendering it useless as the optic went dead due to a lack of pressure on the battery.

I removed the RMR and adapter. Luckily I had a spare Atom adapter plate, and replaced it quickly at the class. The RMR would not light up at all. Eventually finished the course with an iron-sighted 19.

At home, I broke everything down again. Cleaned everything that has anything to do with the RMR.
Ordered a Battlewerx anti-flicker plate.
Ordered a backup spare Unity Tactical adapter plate....I am now on my third plate since building this gun.
One thing I would change if possible would be to machine the plate out of stainless steel rather than aluminum. At 50 bucks a pop, it's getting spendy. Or possibly machine the plate so that the threads are within a post that the RMR can be placed into, akin to some of the custom RMR machining that is out there, something like this (image stolen from battlewerx site):

Cleaned up, readministered loctite activator to the screw parts, applied blue loctite, applied silicone grease very sparingly to the o-ring underneath the RMR, reassembled to torque spec.
Voila, the RMR works again. I thought for sure it was time to upgrade to the Type 2, but for now the old girl is still alive.

Now off to the range this weekend after I give everything time to settle.