SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's. Login/Join 
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stormwalker:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
For small red dots, also consider the Vortex Venom - it takes the same mount plate as the Burris FF3, and looking at them both I'm quite certain they are made in the same factory but the Venom window is a little larger.

The Vortex Venom and Leupold Deltapoint Pro will not co-witness; unfortunately, the Vortex Viper and Leupold Deltapoint are discontinued.

There is an attached rear sight offered for the Delta Point Pro that will allow co-witness with the front sight and the dot.

Delta Point Pro Rear Iron Sight

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ That is really interesting. Has anyone here tried to make that iron rear sight line up properly with a front sight yet? How much can it be adjusted for heighth?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Yeah that BUIS is a pretty sweet design. I got to play with one at a recent evening match. Solid design. I kind of wish someone (hello Trijicon, can you hear me?) would make a simple retractable rear BUIS that you can simply flip up or push upward. It doesn't even have to be that thick. Something akin to, say, the rear sight on a Ruger ranch rifle.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
UDPATE, 5/8/16

The gun is now at the 4,550 mark.

I finally ran into my first malfunction with the Trijicon RMR. It has run flawlessly since first attached. I've kept the unit powered on since. When I took it out of the case, I didn't bother to look to see if it was on. I loaded, holstered. When I drew to shoot the first shot on the timer, the red dot was nowhere to be seen. I tried pressing the buttons to no avail. Held both the buttons down for several seconds to see if it would shut off but this didn't work either. I took a wrench to the two screws to see if they were loose but they didn't budge.

Finally I dropped the mag and cleared the gun. Racked the slide several times, and voila! The dot magically appeared. Very strange for sure. It worked the rest of the day without any issue. I don't really know what to make of this. I'm assuming its a battery contact issue, but I'll give it some more time over the next couple weeks to see if it occurs again.

Anyway, after I got home I took down the gun to give it its first cleaning since the before it hit the 1k round mark. Shooting reloads (mostly 124gr using Titegroup) I was surprised at how little soot and build-up was inside the gun. I haven't done much with it suppressed with my 147gr subsonic loads which I know are filty.

The VDI barrel's Melonite finish is outstanding. The barrel looks brand spankin' new still along the shaft, most of the hood, and at the threads. The inside of the barrel after cleaning looks brand new as well, with no appreciable wearing of the coating. Color me impressed.

The only wear areas are along the top of the hood's notch where it locks into the slide. Very minimal by any standard.

A couple pics of the inside of the slide. The cerakote wore quickly from the beginning, but the wear has pretty much remained unchanged since. I've used a minimal amount of militec grease in the areas where the rails contact the slide, in the muzzle end, and in the areas where the barrel hood ride the slide.

The surefire has taken a beating initially before I got the extended threaded barrel. It is still unsightly, though. I may take a lead-remover cloth to it to see if I can remove the carbon without scraping off the FDE finish.

The exterior of the slide looks brand new still. It doesn't really contact the inside of the holster that much, since retention is accomplished via the light, with minimal retention at the rear of the slide just under the RMR.

As an aside, the ETS Group 22-round mags have been running very well since the first few hiccups were corrected.

Hopefully the Trijicon holds up. It's only been a couple months and I haven't even hit the 5k round mark. If it starts to fizzle I'll be rather miffed.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The battery spring that engages the side if of the battery sucks. It occasionally needs bending to ensure positive engagement. I tucked a very small piece of plastic (the tip of a cable tie) behind that spring and have not had an issue since.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
The battery spring that engages the side if of the battery sucks. It occasionally needs bending to ensure positive engagement. I tucked a very small piece of plastic (the tip of a cable tie) behind that spring and have not had an issue since.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look into it when I eventually take the gun apart for a detailed cleaning or if it occurs again whichever comes first.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Outstanding update, agony.
Thanks!

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on the RMR.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have far too much experience with RMR battery issues. Your specific issue sounds like battery. The first step in fixing anything with these battery RMR's is always to replace the battery with a fresh one. Make sure you put some dielectric grease below the battery and torque to 9-11inlb's. The most frustrating issue I find hard to diagnose is that some of them develop a problem of shutting down on recoil. That's the worst thing because everyone has a moment after the gun recoils that they have to reacquire the dot. If its not there and then its there you rationalize it was an acquisition problem. I now have quite a collection of these things and this is a far too common issue. The first ones that Trijicon has repaired are arriving back so I'll see if they actually know how to fix it.
Bending the little tab and tape under are not fixes for me...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
UPDATE 5-22-16

The Glock is now at the 5450 round mark. No issues with the RMR since tightening down to 10# with the use of a wee bit of blue loctite.

Overall the reliability has been Glock boring. No issues with any of the add-ons.

The ETS Group 22-rounders are still going strong since using them exclusively since December. No hiccups. No failures to feed. No failures to lock the slide. No issues filling them with the proper amount of rounds. They get dropped onto both cement and grass/dirt.

The only issue I had today was that my shot timer stopped working. Frown
I'll post a different thread about this. Hopefully someone can spot an easy fix.

I also took out my neglected 19 EDC for a couple hundred rounds. Poor thing hasn't been fired since January.

posted Hide Post
very interesting indeed,
did you take a Glock Armorer course ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
very interesting indeed,
did you take a Glock Armorer course ?

So easy a caveman can do it. Smile

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Maybe I missed it, but what trigger in your G19?

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Maybe I missed it, but what trigger in your G19?

The 19 has an Agency Arms trigger.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I've used my 4 x 22rd ETS magazines for a measly 300rds and they have been superb.

Just ordered another 6.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I have a total of 10k through six of the mags, more through the original four I got than the two I added a month or so later to make it an even six that I planned to run for the entire year.

My experience with some problems were addressed in the ETS Group thread elsewhere in the Pistols section. A simple spring change, and some minimal maintenance to remove excess flash from inside the mag near the feed lips on a couple of them and they are good to go. Super reliable. I've ran them through three matches only, with another tomorrow. I will also run these through the two defensive pistol courses I plan to to take this year.

posted Hide Post
has anyone checked to see if the red dot is visible , say, 30 feet in front of the muzzle ?

under minimal light conditions

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
has anyone checked to see if the red dot is visible , say, 30 feet in front of the muzzle ?

under minimal light conditions

You have to be looking at it at the perfect angle, and even then it's really dim compared to how it looks when you're looking through behind the gun, and it's a very very small pinpoint dot.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Oh, and an update...my RMR Glock is now at the 7,600 round mark. Again no issues. The Trijicon RMR has not loosened at all. Not wanting to jinx anything, but it has been boringly reliable and the Triji has held up very well.

About a month ago I switched to 124gr +P handloads only. No issues, no change in POI on the RMR.

The ETS mags are still chugging away reliably as well.
I'm very very happy with these things....probably the best of the new crop of aftermarket accessories that has come out in the past year.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

The RMR Glock is now at the 9,700 round mark.
The six ETS 22 round mags are at the 14,250 mark.

The Good:
-the Trijicon RMR is holding up well. Reliable, and holding zero. No issues with it turning off. The lens does fog up easily when coming from an air conditioned car to a hot and humid range, rendering the sight useless.

-The ETS Group mags are going strong. Much easier to fill them to capacity without breaking my thumb compared to how they were when new. No failures to feed.

The Not-so-Good:
-Today for the first time I started getting failure to lock back the slide on an empty mag. Not just with the ETS mags, but I tried OEM and Magpuls, and it did the same. I'll have to break down the gun and check the slide lock lever and spring....I am running a Ghost bullet slide lock. I'll switch back to OEM to see if it changes.

-Also noted that the Vickers extended mag release is sticking. It makes an audible 'pop' sound and has noticeable resistance when pushing it. I'll pop it out too and check it out.

-Lastly, the X300 light that has been on this gun since new has a noticeable shift in hue to a very yellow color. It used to be neutral white. It's not soot on the lens, but something internal.