SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's.
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
On its way let me know if you have size issues, I sent the original size.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10994 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
hrcjon kindly sent me an email of the picture of the type 2 vs the original version.
I apologize for the watermark at the bottom of the pic but I can't figure out how to remove it from my hosting site without removing it from all of my pics. The credit for the image goes to hrcjon, not me.

Pretty cool upgrade.
I look forward to getting a type 2 soon.
But I don't see why trijicon couldn't just upgrade the older version for a nominal fee.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
Agony,looking at the picture, I can't tell any difference between mine and the one on the right, the tab on the left side is the same, I guess I didn't remember mine having that prior to sending it in.

I'm sure it wouldn't cost anything more to upgrade it to the gen 2 spec, than it cost to repair mine? I was kinda hoping that's what they would do.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 597 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the one on the right is completely stock. The tab was there for sure as the sight won't work without it (its the second electrical contact).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10994 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine was having flickering issues on his gen 1. Trijicon replaced with a gen 2. Pretty decent of them.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GJM AK:
I really love my Shadow with the DP Pro.

Hope this saves some others from wasting time and money.

What mount are you using on the Shadow please?

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great write up by Aaron Cowen of Sage Dynamics on RMR for duty use.

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/...903192fa603fce6f.pdf

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundawg:
Great write up by Aaron Cowen of Sage Dynamics on RMR for duty use.

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/...903192fa603fce6f.pdf

Link isn't working

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Update:
Total rounds through the RMR17: 22,577
Total rounds through the ETS mags: 28675

I'm at the point where nothing new is happening with the 17. It works every time.

The ETS mags are working fine, save the one that won't lock back the slide. (I really should give ETS a call about this mag, but it's well-marked and it doesn't bother me).

No loosening of the RMR, the mount, or the front sight.

No flickering issues.

Just boring, Glock reliability.

Once it hits 30k rounds, I'll replace the RSA.

I haven't cleaned the gun in months.
I may do that at the 30k marker too.

Ran a couple USSPA optics matches with it, and it hasn't failed at all.

I also started shooting the 26L a little more again, now that summer is waning.
It too is boringly reliable.

HOWEVER, the damned front sight on this gun loosened AGAIN!
I'm starting to think it's an issues with the thread tolerances on the front sight and screw.
Instead of re-loktiting it, I'm going to find a different screw and try that instead.

Also, an update on the two appendix carry holsters I made for the 19/26L and the 43.
I've used these two holsters exclusively since I made them a few months ago. Wearing them every day...although in the dead heat of summer and when I was at the beach for a couple weeks I carried the 43 much more often.

Everything is holding up well.
However the 'tactical fuzz' fabric is starting to fray and seperate from the kydex.
I need to find a better adhesive.

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Can you post a pic of you wearing one of your holsters with the G19? I'm interested in how effective that Gcode hardware is in pushing the gun into the body, since when I carry appendix it tends to print a bit more than I'd like.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Can you post a pic of you wearing one of your holsters with the G19? I'm interested in how effective that Gcode hardware is in pushing the gun into the body, since when I carry appendix it tends to print a bit more than I'd like.

He's essentially made an Incog. One of the more popular commercially available appendix holsters right now.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

I'll try to get one later, Oat, if I decide to put on some pants and leave the house. Smile
I got an incog a few years ago, and never liked it.
I found out that it was because of the length/placement of the clip.
In GCode's standard configuration I found that the clip was sitting too low. I replaced the 3 hole clip with the 4 hole which allowed the holster to ride lower in the waist and that made it perfect.
I emulated this when I made mine.

I also find that it depends on what kind of pants you're wearing in combination with your body habitus.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Agony, this thread is exceptional!

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
Agony, really nice guns. with some serious ringing out of your gear.

I was convinced of the utility of pistol optics, but a less-than-optimal experience handling older Glocks with Doctors and no sights, or the X6 with micro dot I couldn't hit crap with, left me thinking "cool but it wouldn't work for me".

A few months ago I built a comped CCF raceframe/ATOM slide with an RMR06 and merely handling the gun made everything click.

Last weekend I bought one of those cheap Cabelas RMR01s for $209 and just bought another completed &comped ATOM slide (for an absolute steal) to stick on my G19.4

These guns really do bring a lot to general use, distance, under NODS, etc... over iron sights. I can't wait to see where all this new pistol tech (carry comps, MRDS, etc...) goes in the next decade as people learn it capabilities and companies fix the downsides.

Posts: 195 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
I'm having a G17 built right now similar to my last build (Deus Ex Machina barrel, guide rod, magwell, frame work, slide work, Cerakote, etc). My buddy let me borrow his G17 with an RMR on it, and I was sold. I have heard that they take time to get used to, but I was quickly comfortable with it. I went back and forth at 15 yards and closer, running the RMR, turning it off, and just using the Trijicon suppressor sights. I was consistently shooting tighter groups with the RMR, and mind you, this is a gun I've never shot before, with a competition trigger that I do not like at all (light with no discernible break, I prefer to stage the trigger for precision shots).

So, I had my guy order an RMR Type 2 for the build, I think the 6 MOA dot? Same thing he has on the Glock I borrowed, just the newer Type 2 version.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
are there any in that pile that have the gadget installed,

did you ever get one installed, was there a huge transition?

for its use?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54598 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

for its use?

If you mean the Glock Gadget striker control device, then yes, I have two of them.
One on the cut-down 26L. I also have one on my old gen3 26.
Transition wasn't an issue. Even though I never put my thumb on a hammer when holstering, it wasn't difficult to do it on every reholstering. Just a little practice.
At this point I'm only doing it when reholstering appendix carry. I don't bother when shooting from OWB or traditional carry.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

for its use?

If you mean the Glock Gadget striker control device, then yes, I have two of them.
One on the cut-down 26L. I also have one on my old gen3 26.
Transition wasn't an issue. Even though I never put my thumb on a hammer when holstering, it wasn't difficult to do it on every reholstering. Just a little practice.
At this point I'm only doing it when reholstering appendix carry. I don't bother when shooting from OWB or traditional carry.

I've got three of the gadgets, two on 19's and one on a 26. I really like the way they work and I'm looking for the 42/43 versions. They are coming, as my last one had a place for thise models to be markd on the packaging.

The 26 slide is off at Suarez for milling and refinish. Should be back in a week or so and I'll be able to mount one of the "cheap" Gen 1 RMR's from Cabelas.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1837 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Update:

Total rounds through the RMR 17 Glock: 24,110
Total rounds through the ETS Mags: 30,208

I'm not progressing as fast as I thought I would when I put this gun together. Maybe because I'm getting older, or maybe because of family priorities, but I haven't shot nearly as much as I used to in the past.
I've pretty much got my range time down to a repetitive science. 150 rounds through this gun each time. All OWB. Start off with a Dot Torture, then the usual static firing line stuff. Occasionally run it through drills and a match if time permits. I'm at the point where I have absolute trust in the pistol, and would choose it as my SHTF gun over any of the other pistols in my safe, with maybe the RMR 26L on a 19 frame as an alternative.

That said, the RMR 17 is still chugging along.
No issues with the gun.
No issues with the optic.
No issues with the mags.

Still haven't cleaned the gun. Maybe next month.

I haven't shot the 43 since early September and it sits in my safe, since the warm weather went away. My primary CCW is the 26L.
Oh, and so far since removing the front sight, doing a good cleaning, priming of the screw, and using red loctite this time, it hasn't loosened.

I also ended up tearing the fabric off of the 43 holster. I may replace it next year, but since it won't be carried, I'll leave that project for another day. The 26L holster fabric isn't much worse than shown in my previous update so I won't mess with it yet either.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

I don't know if anyone is still interested in this project. Probably the final update for the year.
It has been 21 months since I've been using this gun. I've tried to stick to my twice-a-week regimen of 150rds each outing. I've missed a few outings mostly because I had some car issues in early November, so spare time was spent on that. No more training classes until next spring.

Total rounds through the RMR17: 26,081
Total rounds through the ETS mags: 32,179

The good:
Everything. Absolutely nothing has changed in a while. The gun still shoots well, no change in accuracy, no malfunctions.

The RMR is stable and holding zero. No loosening of the RMR or the iron front sight.

I still haven't cleaned the gun other than a quick rub down with a cloth on the externals and in the frame. When I do clean it, I'll get some pics of all the parts to look for wear.

The Surefire is working well. It's on her third set of batteries. The front lens still gets sooty, and it seems some of it is permanent.

The ETS 22rd mags are chugging away without any issues. Again, I think it's actually some warping over time in the grip frame, as some of the mags are sluggish when attempting to drop free.

The Vickers extended mag release is still clicking when I push it, but not locking or malfunctioning in any way.

The bad:
None to report, other than shitty weather lately.

Pics. I didn't do any retouching on them or anything so I apologize for the crappy quality. I was cold and wanted to go home! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: agony,