SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's. Login/Join 
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Loved your write up, Agony.

It always seemed a good idea to me to mount the rear iron in front of the glass, it also requires a less radical cut on the holster since the RMR sets further back.

That slide is fantastic, like the trigger too. I recently heard from a buddy on another forum the Zev Trigger pins can walk out, if not noticed the trigger tab safety is disabled and a walked out pin can cause a ND when holstered, so my wanting a Zev trigger ended there.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
Good stuff! I tried to enter the RMR cult last year, but broke the RMR just shy of 1200 rounds. It completely discouraged me. So the RMR sits on top of a rifle now. To Trijicon's credit they fixed the RMR and replaced the LED inside. I was using a G34 MOS. If I had to do it over again, which might happen as my eyes get older, I'll take a serious look at the F/O tritium versions.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rbdub474
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mainspring:
quote:
I have found I am still slower in an initial shot from a holster with the dot, but faster after that, and way more accurate, especially at distance.

The last several handgun classes I've attended have all had at least a couple people running RMRs. The comment above is one that I've heard almost uniformly.

As someone else mentioned, it sounds like if you get used to initially looking through your irons, then the dot will just "be there".

I have only taken a few shots with pistols sporting RMRs, but they seem to work well after people have adapted to them. I'm seriously considering picking up another G19 and getting the slide milled.

I initially had the same issue when I transitioned to a RDS equipped duty pistol. But once I figured out to seek the front sight as I was getting on target, I realized the dot magically appeared for me, and I really sped my times up. Once you get to the point where you grab that dot fast, you'll realize how fast the system can work.

It took time and frustration for me, but once I had that "Ah hah" moment, I was in love.

Here is my duty pistol and specs:

S&W Performance Center CORE 9L
Trijicon RM07
Apex Flat Face Trigger kit
Apex Reset Assist Mechanism
Speed Shooter Specialties ESP Magwell
Speed Shooter Specialties base pad on mag in pistol
Tarani Tactical +6 base pads on all spare mags
Talon Grips granulate finish tape
Surefire X300U

Posts: 839 | Location: East Central MO | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course everyone has a different experience. But a couple of years and 20K rounds this is what I can contribute to some of the recent comments above.
The sight in front of the RMR just doesn't work for me. I'm used to finding the rear sight where it is normally and when its not there my mind goes ?
I have not been entirely happy with the battery RMR's. At least on Glock MOS. The dual illuminated no issues. I'm still working on this issue. I've now a dozen RMR's and the only ones that have had issues are the battery ones. But again only on Glock. On an FNP no problems.
I guess I'm a problem child. I am never faster with the dot on an initial shot at 10y. This past weekend the difference was about .7 sec to the first shot. But of course I am always more accurate after that. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SilverWolf
posted Hide Post
Try the new C-more RTS2(recent winner in the optics division)...or the Vortex Razor with 6 moa dot. I am using them both. Removed the rear sight on my P320C, to accommodate the Razor to fit the Garrett Solo Holster. Works great. Carry daily in the appendix position. C-more RTS2 is mounted on my P226 (converted to 9mm, from 40S&W) Big Grin , by Mr. Burke. Awesome!

Posts: 2425 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I'm actually looking at the Leupold Deltapoint Pro as my next RMR. Haven't decided yet, I'll need to shoot one first.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
**UPDATE**
Finally got the holster for this gun this weekend while I was out of town. It's nice coming home to new kydex waiting in the mailbox. Smile

Made by Gundo Holsters. This is my 3rd holster from this small custom outfit. They make nice stuff, comparable to all the big names in the business in regards to quality, fit, and finish. One unique thing about Gundo that got me to buy from them (him, really, I think it's a one-man operation) is that he makes holsters with the option of adding the G-Code RTI hanger system to their holsters. It's tough getting a good kydex rig if you're invested in the RTI system. G-Code offers theirs of course, but the turnaround is an achingly long 3 months on average. Plus they don't offer the myriad options in regards to color/patterns that Gundo offers. And the price is less than a comparable holster from G-Code. This one is in kryptek mandrake. He also listens to customer needs and made it compatible with the higher suppressor sights, the RMR, and the larger thread protector. Like most if not all kydex for a light-mounted pistol, the gun is retained via the light itself since the trigger guard is not a viable anchor point.

Sorry for the crappy pic, I'll get better pics later.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:
The Tetris Glock is now at the 3,500 round mark. No malfunctions, no issues with the Trijicon (other than a little loosening of the two screws that hold the RMR down. I've kept them just hand tight as per the instructions. I haven't used any loctite, but I may after I do a bit of research to ensure that it's safe), no problems with any splashback onto the front of the RMR (I run the gun pretty dry with the only oil in the trigger area...minimal slide grease), no loss of zero. Everything so far is GTG. I was going to shoot a 3-gun this morning at the club, but the lawn needed mowed, so....next weekend for sure.

I've been streamlining my training regimen. Instead of going to the range twice a week, I've gone to a 3x/week schedule instead, limiting my round count to 150/per session. This gets me in and out of the range quick during weekdays, and I can concentrate on rifle skills on the weekends with the only pistol handling then is to practice transition drills.
Plus I'm working hard on my daughter's rifle skills to get her into High Power in the next year or so.

So I put together a little case that I can grab quickly for the weekday shooting sessions. When all mags are loaded and the gun loaded, it holds exactly 150 rounds. No need to grab an ammo can.
It's made by Condor. Cheap chinese stuff, but the quality is on par with the Eagle brand bags that came with my HK's.

Here's the front (yeah, the Appleseed Rifleman patch doesn't make sense but it fits really well Smile :

Here's the rear. There's a velcro pocket where I can keep a copy of my Form 4 for my suppressor:

The inside is modular. It holds the pistol solidly, without any shifting or bouncing. The bag is surprisingly well-padded and stiff. In the large pouch at the bottom left I keep my shot timer and ear plugs. The small pouch next to it holds the approprate hex wrenches for the RMR, a Glock takedown tool, and a front sight wrench. Both sides of the bag is seperated by a padded flap to keep the mags from rubbing up against the stuff on the pistol side of the bag. I'll have to reconfig it slightly when the Silencerco Omega 9K arrives:

The other side has six elastic slots with pockets to securely hold my mags. Simple, and effective. The padded divider is held via a little velcro strap at the top:

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
So, I simply grab the bag, and my belt, when I leave for work in the morning on shooting days. I keep my tacstrike steel target in my car 24/7 so it is ready to go.

Here's my belt in its current configuration. I love the G-Code RTI system. I can quickly switch holsters to whatever platform I want in seconds. I also added an RTI to the IFAK. I will eventually get a kydex sheath made for a knife and have the RTI placed on it too so I can take the whole thing off quickly instead of dealing with the molle strap.

The Gundo holster for the Tetris Glock is wonderful. Very good retention with seemingly unlimited adjust-ability.

Now the last piece to come to completely finish this build is the Silencerco Omega 9K can.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I happened upon a Glock 41 and a Burris for cheap. Added a MOS slide and converted it to .38 Super.

Glocks are awesome.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Oooh a 38 super Glock would be awesome! How many rounds of it can you cram into a G20 mag?

Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
Awesome thread, pics and write-up. Thanks for posting.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
Oooh a 38 super Glock would be awesome! How many rounds of it can you cram into a G20 mag?

I have the +2 base pads on all of the magazines and they reliably hold 20 rounds each.

I had some Chris Vector magazines and they held almost the entire box. The .38 Super rounds aren't the diameter that the Vector follower needs to feed effectively, slowly it became a headache and a hollow attempt. I was thinking about shimming the sleeve then lost intrest. A buddy of mine has a G41 and the Vectors made great Christmas presents.

I can't fathom as to why Glock never made a .38 Super. If I can get a barrel custom made and scratch up a recoil assembly that works in a Gen 4, It shouldn't take much effort from the masters in Smyrna (they could spend a 40 minute drive and see what they aren't making) to figure it out. A green Lasermax guide rod was supposed to be a part of it, but I couldn't get it to work as well as I'd hoped. I get more than a few funny looks when I say my two Glocks shoot .38s and .357s

For what it is worth, I sold all of the unused parts and traded heavily during this build. Total out of pocket cost: $350 Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
For what it is worth, I sold all of the unused parts and traded heavily during this build. Total out of pocket cost: $350 Big Grin

That's great! I sorta did the same thing, sold a few things to justify the purchase for the stuff that went into this gun. I thought I'd miss having the 34MOS but I'm so glad I got rid of it. Couldn't be happier with this 17 the way it is set up. My next project will be to have my 19 slide milled for an RMR.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Terrific thread; I've learned a lot from y'all's experience.
Curious about the Loctite--let's see how you settle that issue, Agony.
Waiting impatiently for an RX slide for my 320FS.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your loctite question is on an RMR, you need it. I've a dozen of these little buggers and its critical (at least on the Glock MOS mounted ones) and also to torque to 9-10 inlb's and loctite. Anything else will not be a good story. I would not at this point depend on hand tight or anything other than a good torque wrench plus 242. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
If your loctite question is on an RMR, you need it. I've a dozen of these little buggers and its critical (at least on the Glock MOS mounted ones) and also to torque to 9-10 inlb's and loctite. Anything else will not be a good story. I would not at this point depend on hand tight or anything other than a good torque wrench plus 242. FWIW>

Thanks, I went ahead and applied some blue loctite to the top screws. The dovetail screw has not loosened so I'll leave that without the loctite for now to see if it eventually loosens. And yes I'm using a proper torque wrench. Smile

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:

Okay, that's sexy as hell!
Have you thought about dovetailing it in front of the RMR so you can put a backup iron sight on it?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you thought about dovetailing it in front of the RMR so you can put a backup iron sight on it?

No, it is just for the range and fun.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post