SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's.
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's. Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 98XJRC:
Still loving this thread. Your use and reviews of the Overwatch TAC convinced me to purchase one for my 19 not to long ago. I've only got less than 200 rounds with the TAC but have been thoroughly impressed to date. Eventually I'll get to putting an RMR on as well.

What connector and trigger reset spring weight are you using with your OP Tac trigger?

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
quote:
Still loving this thread. Your use and reviews of the Overwatch TAC convinced me to purchase one for my 19 not to long ago. I've only got less than 200 rounds with the TAC but have been thoroughly impressed to date. Eventually I'll get to putting an RMR on as well.

What connector and trigger reset spring weight are you using with your OP Tac trigger?

I left everything else factory. I'm still up in the air on if I change anything else out. I plan on it being used for carry with some competition. I was just ecstatic with my groups upon installation. I always had a tendency of pulling left with the factory but seemed to solve that issue with the TAC trigger.

Any recommendations on the connector and reset spring? Currently I have the factory dot connector.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I left everything else factory. I'm still up in the air on if I change anything else out. I plan on it being used for carry with some competition. I was just ecstatic with my groups upon installation. I always had a tendency of pulling left with the factory but seemed to solve that issue with the TAC trigger.

Any recommendations on the connector and reset spring? Currently I have the factory dot connector.

Honestly, I think it varies gun-to-gun. I have guns with the standard OEM dot connector, OEM return spring and it feels better than another gun with the minus connector and 6# spring (which is my standard setup).

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gundawg:
nice follow up, and love that new trigger, matches perfect.

RM06 and RM07 still doing well, but i don't get near the rounds you get.

Have you done any classes with one of your RMR guns yet?

With new baby and a two year old, classes been put on the back burner. Well I should say serious high count classes, local range has a few 3-4 hour classes I have taken.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
This thread is one of the reasons I went ahead and had my slide milled for an RMR.

Unfortunately for me, when I went to the range to sight it in, it started to fail after only around 150 rounds, it's back at Trijicon for repairs.
No regrets, but I am slightly discouraged.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 594 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry you had issues on your RMR. What kind of failure did you have? If it was intermittent I'd like to know who milled your slide and what was your mounting process. I've bought a bunch of these RMR's and I'm convinced some of this is potentiallyrelated to the mounting method and I'm trying to see if I can figure out some correlation.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
NoQuota,
What was the failure?
The dot 'flickering' is a common problem since the battery is bottom mounted, batteries are not uniform in dimensions, and the RMR was not originally designed to ride on a moving slide.
I have two and one was a flicker. Only fix that worked was using Shoe Goo to attach the battery to the mounting plate. Hope it works out for you. They are great, especially for old eyes, when working properly.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
hrcjon, TAP,
When I initially mounted it to the gun, I used a laser bore to get a baseline zero, and felt it needed way too much adjustment in both windage, and elevation to get close to the dot, like 20 clicks each.

When I finally got to the range, I was using a bench rest to sight it in, and realy felt like it wasn't holding a zero.

After around 150 rounds, the dot went out completely, it came back on after a few minutes, but then it was changing brightness levels on its own, then went completely out again.

I used http://www.dpcustomworksllc.com/ to mill the slide, He has done a TON of Glocks, and M&Ps but this was his first P320. The dimensions of the RMR are the same regardless of what it's mounted on, so I stand by his work, it even has the two locating posts, and fits snug.

I was also using a genuine trijicon base plate, and blue loctite.

When I got home, I took it off cleaned everything, remounted it using a Battle Werx anti flicker plate that I had on standby hoping not to need.

After getting it all back together with a new battery, just manipulating the slide would cause it the dot to go out.

On the positive side, aiming with the dot was like revelation! I just turned 48, so the front sight is very hard for me to focus on now, which is really frustrating, as I have had 20/15 vision my entire life. I look forward to getting it back, and I'm hoping they give me a gen 2.

Posts: 594 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
NoQuota,

That sounds like a 'flicker' issue to me.
The BattleWerx plate is nice but is does not eleviate the battery movement against the contacts during recoil.
Ps. 46 and near sighted, previously 20/10, the RMR has turned back time for me.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Quick update:
Total rounds through the RMR17: 21,227 rounds
Total rounds through the ETS mags: 27,325 rounds

Since the last update, I stopped shooting the 26L and focused on the RMR17 again. Mostly because I stopped carrying the RMR26L for the time being as summer is here and it's so much more comfy carrying a Glock 43.

The good:
No issues whatsoever with the gun. The new trigger is smoothing up nicely.
No misfire, failure, no loosening of the front sight or the RMR mount screws.

I am starting to notice more finish wear on the gun's slide. I also started giving the Trijicon a little more abuse, practicing non-traditional reloads using the RMR as the point of contact when returning the gun to battery. In the past when doing this, the rear sight would naturally be the point of contact since it sits in front of the RMR. The past couple weeks I've made it a point to use the trijicon instead. So far, no issues with loss of zero, flickering, or loosening of the screws.

The barrel is showing a lot more smilies, but I really can't tell if it's simply the cerokote from the gun wearing away. I haven't broken down the gun for a cleaning since the last update, and don't plan on cleaning it for the rest of the summer, when I have a class to attend in September.

The ETS mags are chugging along without any issues. After nearly 28k rounds (divided by six=roughly 4,500 rds per mag) the two of my finicky mags that were difficult to load to the full capacity of 22 act like the rest of them. I haven't noticed any nicks or cracks in the followers as has been witnessed in a previous post above. That said...

The bad:

One of the ETS mags is no longer holding the slide open. It is the one that originally I had to break down and scrape out the excess flash from at the beginning of this project. For some reason it's doing it again. I will break it down this week to see if there is anything I can fix or any internal damage.

Otherwise nothing else bad to report.

As an aside, I haven't ran iron sights for a long time, other than a few hundred practice rounds from concealment with the 43 and 26. I have this spare Glock 19 that is essentially all factory other than the trigger that I recently placed night sights on and wanted to ensure it was sighted in properly. I ran some drills with it--retention shooting, multiple targets, Air Marshal qualifier (FAMQ), etc. I noticed how degraded my times were with the irons compared to the RMR. Especially during the FAMQ when I ran both guns. On average, my shot times from holster (OWB) with the RMR17 were hovering around the 0.65sec mark, while with the iron sighted 19 I could barely get the shot off under 0.83sec. And this is from OWB as well. This was kind of disheartening but understandable as I've concentrated a lot on the red dot. They are that much quicker once you get used to them.
Another thing I noticed was during emergency reloads with the irons-only 19, I would miss the slide entirely with my grasping hand as I am subconsciously/reflexively grasping for the Trijicon.

And I tell myself I need to practice with irons more since i'm carrying a 43 this summer, but man, it just doesn't do it for me like an RMR anymore. Perhaps the answer is to have a 43 milled for an RMR which would justify me buying the new RMR 2.0. Smile

---------------------------------------

I also ran 200 rounds of 147gr subsonic through it and the Omega 9K suppressor. I haven't used the gun suppressed in a few months, and after watching "The Accountant" yesterday it made me want to get my silencer fix out of the way. Smile

No issues. I did run these rounds with factory 17 round mag and a couple of Magpul 17 rounders.

People say that the shorty Omega isn't as quiet as a full sized suppressor, but it's still quieter than this staple gun. Big Grin

Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
First off, Agony I don't want you to feel like I'm hijacking your thread, as I mentioned before, this thread was a big influence on me diving into the RMR world.

So I got the RMR back from Trijicon, they added a second contact point for the battery on the side, and so far so good, no more flicker issues.

Without starting a debate over which is better, I wish I had paid more attention to the location of the rear sight, on the Atom slides that Agony uses.

Turns out that I HATE the rear sight behind the RMR, it's just way too distracting for me.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
No problems, I don't count this as hijacking at all. Smile

Yeah, I'm so used to having the RMR behind the iron sight that it seems strange for me to shoot the other way. I definitely see how it could be a distraction.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Also, NoQuota, you didn't happen to take a pic of the additional contact point Trjicon put in your RMR?

posted Hide Post
Agony,
I now have my first type 2 RMR's in hand. On observation of the batter compartment you can see two changes. The '-' side contact is now a 4 pointed start of contacts and not the single one. The positive side contacts are now two in number one on each side. In about the same place.
If someone wants to host them I can create some pictures but I'm done with the mess of hosting sites right now. I'm sure they are probably on the internets.
My pet peeve is I don't seen any real way to know if an installed sight is type 2.

posted Hide Post
I should have added...I'm wondering if Trijicon can retro fit the battery change to older sights that are having issues.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
HRC, are all the new RMRs coming with these changes? Do you think that this may nip the reliability problems in the bud?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every one I have ordered in the past month or so (even if I didn't specify Type 2) came in exactly the same packaging but with a little Type 2 sticker on the box and the changes I described. I have no way of knowing but I'm guessing the sale prices we saw earlier cleared the pipeline and all new production is the type 2, so you are unlikely to find an older one, but that's just a guess. If I was ordering I'd make sure I get the new Type 2 if you are mounting it on a slide.
I have had minimal issues on the reliability end using my very specific install process so I can't really say, but it certainly looks a lot like its going to be better.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Makes sense.

I eventually want to build a RDS gun. Maybe on a 226.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had PMM mill two 226 slides so far, they came out great.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Agony,
I now have my first type 2 RMR's in hand. On observation of the batter compartment you can see two changes. The '-' side contact is now a 4 pointed start of contacts and not the single one. The positive side contacts are now two in number one on each side. In about the same place.
If someone wants to host them I can create some pictures but I'm done with the mess of hosting sites right now. I'm sure they are probably on the internets.
My pet peeve is I don't seen any real way to know if an installed sight is type 2.

I can host the pics if you want to email them to me. (My email is in my profile....replace the AT with @ and the DOT with . )