SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's.
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
bendable I would point out that Trijicon doesn't recommend what is shown in that video.
They recommend you use the kit they make specifically for mounting an RMR on the glock MOS system (AC32064). The items in that kit are the correct screws and a flat plate which I assume Trijicon provides to help with the
battery contact issues on RMR's. And since Trijicon says "must use" I would wonder what they will do about your warranty if you don't.
In addition I would recommend several other tips when mounting an RMR that are not shown which would include the use of dielectric grease, the correct locktite process and specific torque values for the screws.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Okay, I quick update.

I've been shooting the Glock RMR19 a lot more lately since I last posted a month ago. I've only shot the original RMR17 during a few outings and during a couple matches.

I've decided that since the glock factory mags work well enough, I would test four Magpul 15 round mags when I train. I still carry the 19 as my edc with factory only mags.

RMR19 total rounds: 2,950
Magpul 15 mags, four total rotated: 1,550

The weather here has been crappy the past few weeks. Rainy every day, cold enough at night that we still have our furnace on.

The 19 is running flawlessly so far.
I did remove the Agency Arms magwell from my non-RMR'd edc 19, and placed it on the RMR19. The slight change in width when carrying is offset by the significant ability to really lock my grip on the gun. And honestly, this is really more important to me than any assistance in mag insertion.

The good:
-no loose screws on the Trijicon/mount or the front sight.
-Acccuracy and repeatability has been consistent.
-No failures to fire/eject/load.
-No Magpul magazine failures.

The bad:
None to report.
I really haven't done too much with the Surefire XC1. I look forward to training with it in a course later this summer.
I've only really dry practiced with the light. I really don't like the activation compared to the Surefire X300 lights. I wish it had the ability to activate by pressing the switch forward rather than rocking exclusively. I'm used to activating the X300 with my trigger finger by pressing forward. I've found the only way to activate the XC1 is with my weak-hand thumb. With repetition I should master it.

I'll update the RMR17 this weekend as I will be running it exclusively during a 3-day class.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:
RMR17: total rounds 18,837
ETS mags: total rounds 25,175

So this weekend I exclusively ran the Glock 17. Did a 2.5 day class this weekend, running almost 700 rounds. The weather was nice, only a sprinkle on Sunday that lasted a couple minutes.

The good:
The gun ran pretty much like it always has. I am running rockymountainreloading HP bullets almost exclusively now as they seem much more accurate and consistent than others I've tried in the past. These are hot rounds, replicating carry ammo.

Accuracy is still on par with how it was when new.
No springs have been replaced since I replaced the slide release lever and the RSA last summer.

The bad:
The damned front sight came loose AGAIN! lol. I had to tighten it on Saturday. When I clean the gun again I'll re-do the loctite.

The RMR07 failed twice.
The first time it simply turned off after the very first shot on Saturday. I stopped, tried to turn it on and off, and it came back on.

The second time was yesterday, it turned itself off after two or three rounds. I went to the irons and after the next shot the sight came back on again.

The screws on the RMR have remained tight since I re-did the Loctite after it came back from the factory for repair.

I'm thinking this is a common occurrence with these damned miniaturized red dots, so I'm not too concerned. If it dies again completely, that's another story altogether.

The gun also failed to go into battery twice during the class during emergency reloads. It may have been my technique as I was reloading under stress.
-------

Overall, I'm still happy with this gun. If it were a couple years ago, my round count would've been higher, but since I streamlined my training regimen to get more quality shooting rather than quantity alone, it's not as high as I foresaw when I first started this project.

The wear on the gun is far less than I expected in regards to the finish.

The barrel is starting to show smileys.

The slide finish is worn to the stainless steel on the sharp edges as expected. There is some appreciable wear on the FDE cerakoting from slide manipulation, but overall it looks good.

Most of the wear is actually on the X300 light, as it is the main retention point in the holster. It also tends to get dinged on barriers etc.

The ETS mags are chugging away. No issues since the very beginning. The baseplates are getting a little dinged but nothing out of the ordinary, and I think they actually look good considering the amount of dropping they've done. I have noticed that two of the six mags would drop free much slower than the other four. Not sure if it's from the mag bodies swelling or deforming, or maybe even some warpage in the Glock's grip itself. Who knows. Looking at the photo below of the magwell you can see where the frames edges appear a little smaller or even squished inward a bit in relation to the Agency Arms magwell. Perhaps a softer plastic than Glock's black plastic? It's just a theory...

The Overwatch trigger gets smoother and smoother.

The X300 still works fine but the glass is a little frosted at the top portion from the gun's blast. I've replaced the batteries twice since the project started.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agony. at one time I know there were locktite issues. Those seem solved. What is your mounting strategy for the RMR?
What I have found works nearly 100% on this intermittent stuff is 1) replace the battery 2) make sure the base of the mount is slobbered (that's not really a word) in dielectric grease
3) make sure the torque is EXACTLY 12 inlb's using a high quality wrench.
If its still going down after that then its time for it to go back.
FWIW>
jb

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
The battery is essentially new, having only been replaced in when I got the sight back from Trijicon. And since I built the RMR19 and shoot it more than the 17, I've kept the sight off while it languishes in the safe, and turn it on at the range.

I use Permatex bulb grease which I think is dielectric. Maybe I'm not slobbering enough of it on there. Smile

And yeah I'm using the 12/lb torque spec as we discussed before. It and the loctite primer seems to be holding well on both of my RMRs.

The front sight issue...I'm starting to wonder if it's the propriety Unity Tactical sight being slightly out of spec. I may try a new screw. If that doesn't work I may pony up for a trusted name-brand front sight. Their rear sight is solid.

posted Hide Post
I've been through this occasional shutdown issue a bunch of times. 80% of the time a new battery and remounting resolves it. I don't know if the RMR has a battery voltage issue, there is tolerance stacking or some other more complex issue. But my first action on any sign of misbehaving is a new quality battery.

posted Hide Post
Which Loctite are you using, red or blue? I used blue and had problems on a G21. I replaced it with red and have had no further issues.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I use the blue.
I'd rather not use the red, but on the front sight perhaps it wouldn't be a big deal since I don't plan on removing it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I use the blue.
I'd rather not use the red, but on the front sight perhaps it wouldn't be a big deal since I don't plan on removing it.

Both my G30 and G21 had their front sights installed with red when I acquired them. Honestly, it only took a few seconds with a lighter to loosen it up enough to break the bond. I've also read of people heating up the screw with the tip of a soldering iron. I think the key, aside from the heat, is having the correct tool to remove the nut. Too small and you'll never have enough leverage.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which Loctite are you using, red or blue?

What area are we talking. Don't use red on the RMR. For a Glock front sight it really makes not a bunch of difference, but I use blue.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
UPDATE:

My ETS mags made it through 1 match and 1 dry fire session before the follower in one of the mags chipped on a reload drill.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
quote:
UPDATE:

My ETS mags made it through 1 match and 1 dry fire session before the follower in one of the mags chipped on a reload drill.

Where did it chip? And which mag was it?

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
UPDATE:

Where did it chip? And which mag was it?

140mm 9mm mag. Front of the follower.

Uspsa style speed reload, 1 round left in the mag, hardpack gravel.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Don't know why my links aren't working. Front of he follower chipped off. They are sending a new one, but it doesn't inspire confidence.

The 140's also seem to require cleaning after every time they hit the ground to continue running reliably. The 140's get very slow feeding. Has this been your experience?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tha1000,

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't know why my links aren't working. Front of he follower chipped off. They are sending a new one, but it doesn't inspire confidence.

The 140's also seem to require cleaning after every time they hit the ground to continue running reliably. The 140's get very slow feeding. Has this been your experience?

I honestly have had absolutely no issues with the 22 rounders, and that's with 26k rounds through six of them. I had problems with a couple of them at the very beginning, but they sent spring replacements and they've survived everything I've thrown at them. I have yet to break them down for a cleaning. They've been shot in rain, mud, dusty conditions, and at three training weekend courses. I would definitely call ETS or email them. My experience with their customer service has been top-notch.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Update:

Total rounds through the RMR17: 19,787 rounds
Total rounds through the ETS mags: 26,125 rounds

I haven't been shooting the 17 as much as I've been shooting the 26L (I cut down my RMR19...there's a thread on this elsewhere here).

The good:
Absolute boring reliability this past month.
No misfires, failures, loosening front sight or RMR.

The ETS mags continue to chug along fine without any hiccups. I only shot one match with it this month. But did a 3-day class a few weeks ago and it went swimmingly.

The bad:
Nothing to report.

Tonight after shooting, I replaced the trigger and gave the gun a good cleaning since it was broken down anyway
Not that there was anything wrong with the 15 month-old Overwatch Precision TAC trigger, but they had a limited-release cerakoted version in 'Austrian FDE' and it matches the frame perfectly.

Some impromptu shots (terrible lighting, I'll get better pics when I can get it outside)

It came with a new gen3 trigger bar and since it's brand new, it doesn't feel as smooth as the original bar on the old trigger. I may eventually switch bars, but honestly too lazy so I'll just shoot the shit out of this one instead. The old trigger will replace the Agency trigger on my back-up 19. Nothing wrong with the Agency, but I'm so used to shooting the OP TAC trigger I'd like to keep things consistent.

posted Hide Post
nice follow up, and love that new trigger, matches perfect.

RM06 and RM07 still doing well, but i don't get near the rounds you get.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
Still loving this thread. Your use and reviews of the Overwatch TAC convinced me to purchase one for my 19 not to long ago. I've only got less than 200 rounds with the TAC but have been thoroughly impressed to date. Eventually I'll get to putting an RMR on as well.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundawg:
nice follow up, and love that new trigger, matches perfect.

RM06 and RM07 still doing well, but i don't get near the rounds you get.

Have you done any classes with one of your RMR guns yet?