SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's.
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's. Login/Join 
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I originally got my 34 MOS thinking maybe someday I'd put a mrds on it. However, after the course I took yesterday and seeing two separate pistols with optics (glock and Springfield) have a host of various issues particularly once it rained a bit, I think I'm all set.

Some issues were equipment and others were the shooters having to adjust to the sight getting wet or turning off causing them to miss quite badly. My ameriglo CAPS served me very well in comparison.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gkgeiger:
Here's my SA RO Champion with L&M Precision modified slide with RM06 and Trij raised night sights. This is my favorite range gun, but I've been without it for 3 months. Trying to get a threaded barrel and having to send the RMR back for repair.

What happened to your RMR? Did it poop out completely? How many rounds through the gun until it happened?

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:

What happened to your RMR? Did it poop out completely? How many rounds through the gun until it happened?

I can't diagnosis what caused the problem but all of a sudden the weapon started shooting 18" low at 7 yds. I believe they replaced everything but the hsg.

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 01, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've broken 2 RMR's out of the dozen or so I now own. Trijicon turnaround to fix them was less then 10 days. Are you saying that they had yours for 3 months?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
adjust to the sight getting wet or turning off causing them to miss quite badly

That's operator not equipment. A good MOS setup has irons that work. I often run my MOS gun with the RMR turned off to practice with the backup irons. I'm not as fast as I am with a working RMR but I am certainly not lost.
As to a sight going down in the rain I have run my RMR in all kinds of conditions and not had an issue. Maybe it was a cheap optic?
In any case I have found that I am materially better shooting with an RMR.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I've broken 2 RMR's out of the dozen or so I now own. Trijicon turnaround to fix them was less then 10 days. Are you saying that they had yours for 3 months?
No, but it did take a month. My problem is with my gunsmith. He f$&@"?d up my first barrel, he bought a second and did the same. Eventually sent the gun to the barrel maker who has had it for 6 weeks. Not a good experience.

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 01, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Took 16 days to get my RMR back, including two weekends.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Okay. Weekend update.

RMR Glock is now at 17,255 rounds.
ETS mags are now at 22,580 rounds.

I put 800 rounds of 124gr stout +P replicated carry rounds through the 17 this weekend over two days. All solo training...mostly ground fighting, fighting to cover, malfunction drills, difficult position drills, all on steel no paper targets. Yesterday was absolutely beautiful, but today it was super windy, stormy and rainy.

Which was why I went out today, because of a previous thread above regarding RMR failures in the rain.

I had absolutely zero malfs with RMR in the wet. At times the rain was pretty torential, and the gun got absolutely soaked. But no failures with the electronics at all. Yes, the lens got wet but it did not impede my vision. The only area where I had issues was when the RMR got covered in mud. I finally had to wipe it away and clean it.

I did however, have three issues.
First, the screws that hold the RMR to the Atom adapter plate loosened twice. The first time was able to catch it and tighten it down. That was yesterday. Today, while shooting from behind cover at a target 25 yds away, I felt something hit me in the face and a piece of metal was caught in my eye pro. It hit me to quick and it didn't hurt, so I thought it was strange that I caught some lead from the target 25 yds away. I ceased fire, and took off the glasses. The offending item was one of the RMR screws! The same one that loosened yesterday. On the same side (left) where I had a failure in the past with the screw hole stripping on the original atom plate. Very strange. Luckily the plate isn't stripped again...these things are unobtainium and spendy. I think the issue is that the plate is aluminum and the holes are really shallow in order to maintain as low a mount as possible. There just isn't enough purchase...maybe two or three turns at the most.

I think Unity can fix this with either a tighter thread pattern, or making the plate out of steel.

The other issue I had was that when I mounted the RMR to the replacement plate, I used the new spring steel sealing plate that came with it. The edges are sharp, and I did cut myself. The thing is a fucking scalpel. I had filed the old plate but totally forgot when I re-installed and used the new plate. Easy fix.
The orange circle is where the plate is super-sharp:

Lastly, and more seriously, I had a case failure. Luckily, no damage to the gun, and continued shooting the rest of the day. This round was from a small batch of 124gr +P that I made using shit bullets from Xtreme. I had posted previously in the Reloading section about issues I had with them undersizing bullets. The consistency isn't there and hence I won't buy from them anymore. I was using up the last batch, and thankfully don't have any more. I think I had some bullet setback. I'm much happier with bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloading and will be using them and Delta Precision from now on.

Otherwise, the Surefire X300 has been great. No probs whatsoever over the past year.

I ended the session with 150 147gr subsonic rounds through the gun suppressed just for fun. I still don't think a suppressed pistol is good for anything but having fun, at least nowhere near as important as a silenced carbine.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Oh, one last thing.
I took out the tungsten guide rod and have been running a factory oem RSA.
No reason, just thought I'd stick with the factory RSA from now on. I noticed that the single noncaptured spring on the tungsten rod weakened pretty quickly over the past year despite replacing it twice.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Something kinda strange....
So I took the gun apart entirely to ensure nothing was broken. All looked good.

However, as I took the RMR off to remount it to the adapter plate with new Loctite I noticed that the right mounting through-hole in the sight is completely blackened, while the left side (the side that comes loose) looks normal.
I used a qtip dipped in solvent to try to clean off the blackness, and although the qtip was black, the area in the hole is still discolored.
How strange is this?

posted Hide Post
Interesting. I use an MOS so the screws are the trijicon ones. On the atom mount are they supplied by atom or trijicon? About how many threads engage? Do you clean them, use locktite primer and then locktite (and if so which type?) when you reinstall?.
The black looks interesting I'll have to take a look see at some of mine to see if I see something similar. I think that's a coated version so maybe its just that area didn't get coated and you didn't notice? or maybe its just warn.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you've had success with Rocky Mountain Reloading, agony. They're my go-to supplier and I have been very happy with them, too.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Interesting. I use an MOS so the screws are the trijicon ones. On the atom mount are they supplied by atom or trijicon? About how many threads engage? Do you clean them, use locktite primer and then locktite (and if so which type?) when you reinstall?.
The black looks interesting I'll have to take a look see at some of mine to see if I see something similar. I think that's a coated version so maybe its just that area didn't get coated and you didn't notice? or maybe its just warn.

I counted almost four threads engaging. And there is still a wee bit of room if only they made the propriety screws a bit longer.

And yeah, upon further inspection the black area is just exposed from where the FDE paint either rubbed off with use or wasn't there to begin with.

Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pingman274:
I'd be happy to host a few folks in the Burlington area. I've been working with a G19 with RMR and a G43 with the Shield RDS.

www.ccgci.org

How do you like the Shield on the G43?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had my RMR on my G34 for about a year. Apart from BTF and onto RMR issues and a complete replacement by Glock of my first G34, I continue to see the RMR screws back out regardless of the amount of Loctite 242 applied. Sometimes, it was too late to notice and only one screw was left holding the RMR onto the plate and other times, I happen to notice my shots going weird. One time, I saw one of the RMR screws resting on behind the glass while firing. I got to the point of checking the RMR about 3 times during range or match outings, as well as, always have an extra $17 Trijicon adapter plate/screw set on hand in case I lost screws.

I've now moved the RMR to my G19 and placed a Deltapoint Pro onto my G34. The Leupold doesn't require an adapter plate for mounting on top of the correct MOS plate. That may make a difference or, it may not. So far, so good.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bmo
posted Hide Post
This thread is timely for me. Expecting my Gen4 G19 slide and RMR back from ATEI on Friday. I appreciate all the effort you put into the thread agony. Excellent info for a new RMR user like myself!

My Gen3 G19 slide is at Jagerwerks right now. I honestly couldn't decide between ATEI and Jagerwerks and seeing as I got my tax return, I figured why not both? Wink I know both do the bosses for the RMR but ATEI fits the RMR to your slide and JW doesn't. However I heard great things about Jagerwerks as well. I still need another RMR though... Frown

Posts: 2653 | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I had a 19 milled by atei. I sold it a couple months ago to recoup some of what I over-spent at Christmas, and because I didn't think I wanted to carry with an RMR. I regret selling it now, so i recently ended up buying another Atom slide, gen4 G19.

Pics shortly.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Okay. So this happened. My second foray into the world of pistol RMR's. (not counting a milled slide I sold a while ago with a mated RMR that I never finished nor fired).

Even though I have issues with the RMR to Atom mounting plate adapter, there's still something alluring about upgrading the sight in the future if/when something better than the Trijicon comes around. I debated buying a Leupold Deltapoint Pro sometime in the future.

Well, that was until I found a lightly used RMR in the classifieds for a decent price.
I then purchased a new Unity Tactical Atom slide for the Gen 4 Glock 19....and I got a couple spare RMR adapter plates just in case one strips again.
The store I ordered from sent a few pics of women holding guns. There's even one with a redhead cleaning an AR with a firing pin in her mouth. I really don't understand the whole girl-with-gun fetish in the firearms culture, but it's akin to bikini-clad wimmens on the cover of Hot Rod magazines. Anyway....

posted Hide Post
I understand about the sealing plates , cut my hand first time out. Filed them down as well, but ended up changing the plates out with the anti flicker plates from battlewerx, and side benefit is they don't seem to stick out the sides as much.

http://www.battlewerx.com/anti...-trijicon-rmr-black/

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundawg:
I understand about the sealing plates , cut my hand first time out. Filed them down as well, but ended up changing the plates out with the anti flicker plates from battlewerx, and side benefit is they don't seem to stick out the sides as much.

http://www.battlewerx.com/anti...-trijicon-rmr-black/

Yeah, I need to get a couple of those. They should work with the Atom slide I'd think.

The good news is that the new batch of Atom adapter sealing plates are nicely rounded off and smoooooth. No sharp edges at all. Looks like Unity is listening to the users.