SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's.
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
May I add to my list of dumbassed questions?
I am thinking about sending a slide to ATEi to have it cut for a RMR06.
They seem to recommend recutting the slide to put the iron sights forward of the RMR. Other manufacturers seem to like putting the RMR forward of the rear sight. I am thinking about going forward of the rear sight. Do you think that going forward of the rear sight would lead to holster selection issues for concealed carry? IE- Going rear of the rear sight would make the gun fit in more holsters?

What do you think about dot size? 3.5 or 6.5? I'm leaning toward the 3.5 due to the fact that I like to shoot distance.

Thank you.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 454gun:
Great write up . Has any one looked at the Sig RMR? I think they are cut to be sig only , that may not be a good thing .

Several of the "formerly of Team SIG" dudes I know, to include Bruce are shooting them in Carry Optics. I have only heard of one issue with them, and it was on a gun that was loaned to a internet gun sight writer, who decided to use the Romeo to rack the slide on all kinds of surfaces. Steel, wood, whatever.
They apparently wound up breaking the sight slamming it onto a metal table. SIG supposedly has already beefed up the new production sights to make it less prone to damage from slide racking.

Aside from that, a lot of rounds have gone down range with no issues.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
They seem to recommend recutting the slide to put the iron sights forward of the RMR. Other manufacturers seem to like putting the RMR forward of the rear sight. I am thinking about going forward of the rear sight. Do you think that going forward of the rear sight would lead to holster selection issues for concealed carry? IE- Going rear of the rear sight would make the gun fit in more holsters?

What do you think about dot size? 3.5 or 6.5? I'm leaning toward the 3.5 due to the fact that I like to shoot distance.

Thank you.

I personally like the irons in front of the RMR. I think the biggest issues is that there just isn't enough metal to remove from the slide when you leave the oem dovetail for the rear sight alone. The more you mill the slide, the greater the chance of removing too much metal in the extractor area.
As for holsters, I wouldn't think there would be an issue with a front-of-RMR-iron setup.

As for dot size, I don't mind the 6moa I'm running currently. However, when I finally get around to getting another RMR for my CCW G19, I'm going to go with the 3.5MOA dot instead.
At distance (past 25 yds) I don't have much problem getting good hits with the 6moa dot, but it just looks a little splotchy for me compared to a smaller dot. When I went with the bigger dot initially, I did it out of fear that I couldn't acquire a smaller dot quickly. However, after running a 1MOA dot on my Ruger Mk3, my fears were unfounded.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm the opposite, I find the irons behind the RMR way better. The metal removal issue is hard for me to understand since Glock does it in that area for the MOS guns and every competent person I've used to mill a slide doesn't have any issue with leaving the stock dovetail. But if the person I was using to mill the slide wants it forward I'd have no issue with that. The same tradeoff as any gun the sight radius is reduced.
Like agony it will not make any difference in holsters, if fact its likely to be better since the RMR is further aft. Especially if you want the RMR covered.
On dot size I have now shot just shy of 30K rounds competitively with a Glock MOS gun and for me the optimum between speed and accuracy is an RMR07 (the 6.5). But if all I was doing was trying to hit targets >25y you would be better served with the RMR06.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first slide i sent off for a RMR i went with irons behind RMR, but on my second i decided to put the sights in front. I should have my second slide back in about 1 1/2 weeks from JagerWerks.

Once i have my slide back i will be able to have a better idea if i like RM06 (3.25) or RM07 (6.5) best.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Irons, what irons?

The latest Dot Convert here has no irons.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to share all your experiences. I would like to add an RMR eventually but money always goes to something else!

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundawg:
The first slide i sent off for a RMR i went with irons behind RMR, but on my second i decided to put the sights in front. I should have my second slide back in about 1 1/2 weeks from JagerWerks.

Once i have my slide back i will be able to have a better idea if i like RM06 (3.25) or RM07 (6.5) best.

Post up some pics, I'm interested in seeing Jagrwerks milling.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
UPDATE 01-26-2017

Finally! The Silencerco Omega 9K suppressor arrived. Purchased it in April 2016, and it finally got released from NFA jail today. Can't wait to get it out tomorrow.

I also recently replaced the Apex extractor to an older one I had being unused. No reason, really, just like how the older ones had the APEX engraved into it. Smile

While was at it I replaced the spring loaded bearing with a non-LCI bearing....for some reason I totally forgot to do this mod when I originally put the gun together. Spent case extraction is even better now.

posted Hide Post
Oh man, you're REALLY not helping my want/need for an Omega 9K.

Posts: 64 | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Looking good Agony, I finally held an Omega 9K the other day. I didn't realize how small and light they were.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you.

I went with behind the dot. I thought it helped with the training curve on the dot since I could start a standard sight alignment and then go to the dot. Of course with work, you don't need that anymore.

I went with the 3.25 and have been pleased with it. I've read all the 6.5 minute stuff and I dolt don't feel handicapped by the smaller dot. Then again, I had a 2 minute Aimpoint clone on a Six Second Mount on another gun and didn't mind that at all. Gun has a 4 MOA H1 now, but I really don't perceive much of a difference, although my astigmatism is likely making the dot appear larger.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
Looking good Agony, I finally held an Omega 9K the other day. I didn't realize how small and light they were.

Yeah, when I first saw it in the shop last year I held it and was amazed at the size compared to the old abraxas, and even some of the other 9 cans in the shop. It was essentially an impulse buy.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Also, the RMR really shines with a suppressor hanging off the front of the gun. It's high enough that you hardly see the suppressor in your sight picture.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
This is a tiny add to my earlier posts. If you run an RMR you need to be able to clean it. Nothing like an aimpoint on an AR where that is simply not an issue. The post above about one on an FNX is the tip of the iceberg. Maybe 500 rds on my FN and its unusable, but the Glock is worse. Maybe 200 rds. and you need to deal with the mess or you can't see.
Not that it adds anything to why I like them, but you will need to have some tools around for this issue.

What "mess" are you getting all over your RMR?

I have more lint and crap on mine at the end of a day of carry than I have ever got on it from shooting. And my slide has windows on the sides and top.

Posts: 1900 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: October 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like RMR in front of the sight . I like the 3.5 dot. I have Bravo holsters so they made them for me to accommodate the taller sights and cut down the front to handle the RMR. I don't have one yet but the holsters are ready should decide to have me.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
11 month update.

RMR Glock is now at 15,455 rounds.
ETS 22 round mags are now at 20,780 rounds.

I haven't shot as much the since the first of the year due to adverse weather and travelling with my daughter's volleyball team.

The good:
-ETS mags are still impressing the hell out of me. No failures.

The bad:
I don't think that 15k rounds is a high number at all. In fact despite closing in on a year since this project started, I thought I would be closer to my normal round count by now which would be in the 20-25k mark. Honestly I've been shooting my G19/26 a lot more lately because I didn't want to lose my speed with iron sights for my CCW.

That said, I had multiple failures today with the RMR Glock.
All of them were failures to feed reliably. The gun wouldn't return to battery. I have a feeling it was due to running it with the suppressor and some different reloading components. The 147gr bullets I was using was from a bullet mfg that I will no longer be using. I was also getting significant failure to eject, and even got a couple stove-pipes. I was even getting the dreaded brass-to-face.
Everything was fine until today, so I'm assuming it is ammo related. However the same ammo was fired today through both a G34 and a G26 without any issues, albeit without the suppressor.

So my assumption is to replace the RSA with a lighter spring when shooting suppressed.

Also, more grievous news. The Trijicon RMR died today. It stopped working towards the end of my time at the club. One minute all is well, the next the dot disappeared completely.
I took it apart, replaced the battery, checked everything I could think of, and the RMR is dead.

I will be calling Trijicon on Monday. Frown

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
FINAL UPDATE....ONE YEAR LATER:

RMR Glock 17 is now at 16,305 rounds.
ETS 22 round mags are now at 21,630 rounds.

Well, I got the RMR back from Trijicon, and it works great again.
I also got a new RMR Atom mount for the slide, as the original one had a stripped screw hole. I had to buy it, as it was considered non-warranty breakage).
Everything works well. No issues. The thing shoots like it did pretty much all year.
I'll be interested to see how well the RM07 lasts. I figured I'd get to 10-12k rounds before it broke, but 16k rounds before breakage isn't bad I suppose.

When the Trijicon went down, I felt a understandably disheartened. I had purchased a slide for a Glock 19 that I had milled out for an RMR, but ended up selling it recently because the RMR failure made me question why I'd even want an optic on a CCW pistol. While the Trijicon was out getting evaluated, I focused on shooting my iron-sighted Glock 19 and 26 exclusively. I had no probs going back to the irons. But still noticed that my best shot times were still a little quicker with the RMR. I also saw significant degradation in my accuracy past 15 yards. Shooting various exercises I got a bit pissed at myself for missing shots that I easily hit with the RMR. Shooting and moving seemed slower with the irons as well.

That said, I just found another Trijicon red dot sight on the classifieds. And building a Glock 19 slide topped with an RMR on a 26 frame with the appropriate slide spacer may be the perfect EDC gun. Now to find another 19 slide. Smile

The ETS mags have been a surprise also. They've been dropped and abused and not cleaned. Despite early issues that were very quickly addressed by ETS, they have been as boringly reliable as factory mags. These six mags will be loaded with defensive ammo and stuck into my go bag/plate carrier/belt.
I have a couple dozen of the 19-sized ETS mags and look forward to running them exclusively in my future 19 build.

the Voodoo Innovations barrel has been great. Good price for a decent rifled barrel that shoots a little better than factory. The melonite finish has been the biggest surprise. Just a minimal amount of shine-through in the areas you suspect wear to occur. That said, If I were to do it again, I'd spend the extra cash and get a ZEV barrel...I have these in two of my other guns and the accuracy is remarkable.

The Overwatch Trigger has been boringly reliable without any problems whatsoever.
Great trigger that got better with use.

I also got the suppressor issue straightened out...turns out the piston spring for the Omega suppressor was sticking. I simply cleaned it really well, and it works fine suppressed with several types of ammo.

Thanks everyone for the input over the past year. It has proven valuable.

Stay tuned for a 'second foray into the world of RMR's' thread soon. Big Grin

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I wish this wasn't the final update.

I'd like to see what this gun does at higher round counts.

www.opspectraining.com

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish this wasn't the final update.

I'd like to see what this gun does at higher round counts.

Oh I'm kinda OCD so I keep a good record of round count etc...It probably won't get fired as much once the RMR 19 gets built.
As long as the thread doesn't drift so far back that it gets locked, I'll try to keep it updated. Smile