SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's.
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's. Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I have the Vickers on most of my Glocks. They are good, but I'm having issues with the one in my RMR17. It sticks at times, and takes significant pressure to pop the mag. No issues with the vickers on other guns.

I had a similar issue after installing one of my Vickers releases. I swapped it with a Vickers release from another Glock, and had no issues with either gun after that.

So you may just need to play mix-and-match until you find a particular Glock that it plays nice with, and find a Vickers release that likes your RMR17.

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I'll eventually buy another for the 17...the vickers are working fine in my other Glocks, I don't want to jinx anything by switching them out. Smile

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice second setup, if you are looking for AIWB for that 19+XC-1 take a hard look at the Guncraft arcane, he has that option as a quick ship. Emailing you pics now, one of the best holster I own

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Got your email, thanks!
Yeah I've been making holsters lately, and already have a blue gun with xc1 molded and ready. But if I utterly fail at least I have options to purchase now. Smile

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
How do you like the GCode INCOG?

Do wish it came in more than just three guns, though, based on what the website suggests.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
The incog is very comfy. The only improvement I would make is that the muzzle is a little exposed when I ride the 19 in it. The 26 is perfect in my 19 Incog.
And it's freaking expensive.
And for lefties like me, the wait time has always been too long. I've been a GCode whore for more than a dozen years and the wait has never improved.

Picture of bmo
posted Hide Post
Got my G19 slide and RMR back from ATEI the other day. Excellent machine work and perfect fit of the RMR. Dry fired a decent amount before hitting the range and could tell I'd like the RMR. Got to the range Saturday morning and wasn't disappointed. I agree that finding the dot is a little bit of a challenge at first but once found, it's very fast and I have no problems with losing the dot under recoil.

Just need to practice my presentation with it more and things should line up faster. It's going to take some practice going from a front sight focus to a target focus. I've read what works for some guys is to try to find the sights first and then have the red dot appear. This didn't really work for me. In fact I found it a little slower because I'd be going from focusing on sights, to looking for the dot, to focusing on the target. I found that for me, if I just present with a target focus from the get go, and my presentation is good, the dot is already "there" superimposed on the target. So definitely going to take some more reps, but I'd say I'm about 75% there.

In the past few years my eyesight has gotten worse. Normally right eye dominant but these days the vision in my left eye is better, so it tries to take over dominance. Makes seeing a crisp front sight a bit of a challenge. Figured a red dot would help, and it really does. Now I need red dots on all my handguns Wink Going to have to make a holster for it though when I get a chance.

On a separate note, got to fondle a full size P320RX today. That's a nice alternative imo, assuming the optic holds up. Haven't been out too long so not many reviews yet about reliability from what I could find. Larger fov than the RMR though which is nice.

Posts: 2653 | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
That's great news, bmo!
ATEI is top-notch.
Have fun with it, and post pics!

Picture of bmo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
That's great news, bmo!
ATEI is top-notch.
Have fun with it, and post pics!

Here you go. I'm using the RM07. Currently running the gun with an S3F barrel and the TBRCi micro comp which I really like. Had the threaded barrel already because I plan on getting a suppressor. Until then, I figured the comp would be better than the damn S3F thread protector, which I couldn't keep on the gun no matter what I did haha.

Also using an Ameriglo plain suppressor height rear and a Dawson Precision fiber optic front which is spec'ed at the same height as the Ameriglo suppressor front sight, except with a thicker blade. I didn't like how thin the Ameriglo front suppressor sight blade was.

Posts: 2653 | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Very nice!
The thread protector won't come off if you use an Viton O-ring.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Okay, so I got my prerequisite 1,000 flawless rounds through the RMR19 this week.
And I was quite eager to start carrying it.
Unfortunately I don't have a holster that fits the gun with the XC1 and the RMR.
My personal preference for AIWB carry is GCode's excellent Incog Eclipse holster. However, the 8-12 week wait is ridiculous. I figured for the cost of a new holster, I could get the kydex and hardware and have enough to make a couple holsters and some knife sheaths.

So...I ordered some stuff from knifekits.com
Kydex, rivets, screws. While I was at it, GCode had a 15% off sale, so I got a couple of their Incog belt clips and Super-Mojos.

I decided to make an Incog Clone. And while at it, an OSH RTI clone for my battle belt.

I modded a bluegun in order mold clearance for the tall suppressor sights...I ended up gluing it in place then rubber banding it overnight. It worked.

Cut the kydex, popped it in the oven for a couple minutes, then into the press:

Then I drank a beer and contemplated how the project would go from here.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Made the rough cut, and wanted a full sweatguard all the way up the slide.

So far so good.
Now to mount the supermojo and the clip, as well as retention screws:

Almost done! Test fitted, and properly adjusted for ride in the waist.

It was late, so I went to bed, waiting to finish it in the morning.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
This morning I finished the final polish, and took the gun out (with the oem barrel, not this threaded barrel). Fits perfectly, and feels great!

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
However, one thing was missing:

I NEED the 'tactical fuzz' that GCode does on their holsters as an option. It has proven quite comfortable and really makes a difference when carrying AIWB all day long.

So a quick trip to the fabric store for some microsuede.

Glued it to the holster.

Then trimmed it as best as I could. Now I'm letting the adhesive dry completely for a day or so before I do the final edge polish to remove the remaining fabric.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
While waiting for the glue to dry on the AIWB holster, I took a break from reloading ammo to make the second holster. Basically a range holster for my battle belt. It's really tough finding a decent holster with the RTI attachment plate. At least finding one for cheap and quickly. Gundo Holsters has been great in the past, as the primary holsters for my RMR17 were made by them. However, I don't want to wait a month. And I'd like to save a hundred bucks.

So, I formed the kydex with clearance to attach the RTI attachement.

Did the rough trim, and drilled for retention scews. Made some fitting adjustments, and attached the RTI plate.

Fits great!
Made a couple minor adjustments on the grind, then polished the edges. It does need a couple of flush-fit washers for the screw heads, which I did order today. Otherwise the RTI holster is done.

Did some dry practice draws, and it feels just like the custom holsters I've spent a ton of money on in the past, but for a fraction of the cost. I'll never buy a holster again, that's for sure. Kydex isn't rocket science. It's pretty simple, just a little time consuming. But the time used was quite rewarding.

Here it is on the battle belt:

I'll post pics in the next day or two when I finish the AIWB holster.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Awesome work!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Thanks Riley!

I finished removing the excess tactical fuzz from the edges this morning. Then reassembled and loctited the screws after final adjustment.
Fits in the waist perfectly. And the fuzz against my baby-soft skin feels soooo good. Like holster panties. Smile

A couple things I've learned if I ever decide to make another holster:

-leave more material prior to the final sanding/removal of the tactical fuzz. Those wee little dremel polishing buffs take off a surprising amount of material and quickly.

-Have all the small parts ready instead of finding out later that I need washers, screws, etc.

-Have a plan and stick to it. Think of the geometry, which ensures you don't have to modify the plan along the way.

-A little spray adhesive goes a long way. Don't overdo the glue.

-I could never make kydex stuff for a living. Too time consuming.

Well, off to the range to play with the new holsters.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I think you could be very successful as a part time holster maker, specifically for lefties! It may take more tools to speed things up, like a vacuum former setup maybe or an upgraded kydex press. For one offs or friends, I think you're set.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Good to see this thread is dying. Big Grin

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I think you could be very successful as a part time holster maker, specifically for lefties! It may take more tools to speed things up, like a vacuum former setup maybe or an upgraded kydex press. For one offs or friends, I think you're set.

I make waaaay more money at my real job in less time than it would take to make holsters lol!