SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's.
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
That's exactly the design that another plate adapter system uses, the Agency AOS.

http://www.agencyarms.com/trijicon-rmr-plate

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
So after now going through 3 adapter plates would you still go the Atom route? I understand the draw towards it with the modularity however at 100-150 bucks now into it your not that far off from another custom slide. I personally had mine milled and considered purchasing a new slide altogether, but cost held me off. I do wish I had front serrations milled in at the time though. Either way your report got me bought into the RMR and had me jump into the foray. I use the battleworx plate as well and have been extremely happy with it.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 98XJRC:
So after now going through 3 adapter plates would you still go the Atom route? I understand the draw towards it with the modularity however at 100-150 bucks now into it your not that far off from another custom slide. I personally had mine milled and considered purchasing a new slide altogether, but cost held me off. I do wish I had front serrations milled in at the time though. Either way your report got me bought into the RMR and had me jump into the foray. I use the battleworx plate as well and have been extremely happy with it.

I think at this point, I'd go a custom milled slide route if I were to start all over. The main reason I went Atom was because of convenience at the time. I didn't want to wait weeks for a slide to be milled, and also wasn't sure I would like an RMR in the first place.
But yeah, I really haven't taken full advantage of the modularity of the Atom system. I haven't strayed to any other RDS other than the Trijicon. Hence the reason I'd go custom slide next time.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Most heavy use RMR users on other sites seem to say the same thing - get a milled slide for an RMR to eliminate the need for an adaptor plate - either have an existing Glock slide milled or a purpose built aftermarket slide made for an RMR.

Not an RMR user here (yet), but that seems to be the HEAVY favorite as I see shooters post what works for them, etc. It gets the RMR lower and is one less set of screws / things to break.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on a user, obviously. I like direct milling, I've several slides with different optics but my Atom slide has seen three different optics, for different reasons.

posted Hide Post
I got my start in this slide mounted RMR game using the Glock MOS system which has an adapter plate> Those guns have seen tens and tens of thousands of rounds and never an issue. Including having to be reinstalled every time you need to change a battery or the sight. I have moved on to milling slides just so I can get an RMR on things that don't provide it otherwise, but properly engineered there is no reason an adapter plate is an issue. The extra height is something you have to decide if it bothers you (it doesn't me as long as you have irons visible). FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
End of the year update:

I was able to shoot more this past month, putting 2,232 rounds through the pistol. I also put 1000 rounds through my carry gun this month. A lot of pistol shooting for sure.

Total rounds through the RMR17: 41,092
Total rounds through the ETS mags: 46,996

No issues since rebuilding the Atom plate adapter, new battery, Battlewerx anti-flicker plate, etc etc etc.
The RMR07 ran exquisitely this month without any flickering at all.

No issues with the gun itself. Front sight hasn't loosened in a long time.

The factory extended mag release is much better than the Vickers that was on there at the beginning. I'm thinking about replacing the Vickers in my other guns now.

Haven't mentioned the Overwatch trigger in a while. What can I say, they work well. OEM curved triggers feel funny now, since all my Glocks have the flat-faced TAC triggers. I shot my cousin's bone-stock gen3 17 recently and it felt quite heavy and awkward.

I still think the Agency magwell is the best option available. The finish on it is really tough, and still looks pretty much brand new considering how many thousands upon thousands of insertions I've subjected it to over the years. That said I pre-ordered Overwatch Precision's new magwell that should start shipping at the start of the new year. Only available for the 19 though, so it'll be a while before I replace the magwell on this pistol.

No barrel issues.
No extraction issues.
No Surefire light issues.

The ETS mags are chugging away.
No feed issues.
No failures to hold open the slide.
No issues dropping the empties from the gun.
No cracks.
No noticeable weakening of the springs.
No loading issues.
They are quickly closing in on the 50k round mark, which is when I'll retire them forever.
Not because they haven't worked well, but because they are friggin ugly as sin.
I'm more fond of the factory FDE and coyote 19 rounders and look forward to running 8 of these regularly through the gun once I'm done with the ETS mags. Mostly because the new OEM mags just look better.

I'll update again once the ETS mags reach 50k.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
agony, otally appreciate the update. I wish I could stick with the same gun long enough to get these round counts on a given gun, but sadly in the same period (and just about the same number of overall rounds) I have switched between four different glock setups... but I'm really deciding the 19x/45 combination with an RMR is the go to.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of shooting.
If you don't mind me asking, where do you shoot?

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm curious if ETS would want to take your mags back for examination and maybe toss you some new ones. If I were them, the cost of a few mags for the ability to examine them and maybe use them in social media marketing as proof of concept would be worth it.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I'm curious if ETS would want to take your mags back for examination and maybe toss you some new ones. If I were them, the cost of a few mags for the ability to examine them and maybe use them in social media marketing as proof of concept would be worth it.

I like the idea as well, Agony.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:
That's a lot of shooting.
If you don't mind me asking, where do you shoot?

private gun club in southern wv.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

I like the idea as well, Agony.

I'll look into it. IIRC, the owner of that company was a member here.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
~3 momth update.

Total rounds through RMR 17: 44,392.
Total rounds through the ETS mags: 50,296.

Despite a busy few months since Christmas, with almost every weekend booked for activities out of town, I managed to get my two-range sessions/week in, still shooting 150 rds per session through this particular gun and mags.

The gun:
Absolutely nothing wrong with the pistol. It is chugging away without any signs of failure or abnormal wear. No cracks in the slide or frame, no loose rail guides, no extraction issues, no FTFs. Barrel accuracy is still acceptable, being able to hit 8" plates at 50 yards without missing if I do my part.

The damned RMR screws loosened again.
I noticed this last week while shooting a Dot Torture and absolutely blowing it at 10yds. When the screws are loose, the red dot moves laterally. I did break it down, re-primed the threads after cleaning, and reapplied blue loctite.

Since this seems to be an issue every 2-3k rounds or so, I have a feeling the Unity adapter plate and the screws don't share the exact same pitch. I have no other explanation.
**edit** IIRC, I surmised that this is due to the shallowness of the threads in the adapter plate hence minimal amount of purchase by the screws.

Strangely, this hasn't been an issue with my primary CCW gun which has a Unity 19 slide and the same generation RMR.

If I have to eventually replace the adapter plate for the third time, I'm retiring this slide altogether investing in a custom milled slide and an updated gen2 RMR.

The mags:

Well, as I promised myself, I'm going to retire the six ETS Group 22 round translucent magazines.

I started off this project with eight of these mags. A couple hiccups at the beginning of this thread and I kept six of these mags that I deemed reliable and used those since the beginning.
If you really think about it, 50k rounds divided into six mags isn't that many rounds per mag at 8,300ish rounds per mag through the run.
In my eyes it would've been more impressive If I only ran 4 of these mags from the beginning instead.
However I'm not complaining. Whatever issues I had with these mags were corrected very early on when ETS without question replaced a couple of the mag springs.
IIRC I did have to remove a few burrs inside the mags to get the follower to seat properly.
But since then I've had no issues.
They are still quite serviceable but ugly. The baseplates are pretty beat. Feed lips look fine. I see no cracks or chips despite the translucent plastic. And that's with constantly dropping them on gravel and concrete.

As with any non-OEM mags I'd definitely suggest running at least a few hundred rounds through each one before considering them worthy of serious use. I would not have any problems using my six mags for non-range work if the need arises. They have proven themselves.

I haven't contacted ETS Group regarding my experience with these mags. I may make a short post to their facebook/instagram pages.

Otherwise from here on out, I'll update here periodically in regards to the gun itself. I will be running OEM 19 round mags from now on....4 FDE mags and 4 Coyote tan mags with the +2 baseplates.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Update:

Total rounds through RMR 17: 45,624

I'm no longer using the ETS mags and have been using OEM Glock mags since the last update.

Well a couple things.
Last month the RMR loosened. I retightened and so far so good.

Overall the gun is chugging away without any issues. I did have one failure to detonate, which is the fault of the reloaded round. I've been using the same batch of brass for a couple years and the pockets have gotten a bit loose. So they have been tossed into the recycle bin.

I've noticed accuracy is getting a little worse. My groups are no longer as tight as they used to be. I used to be able to cluster rounds in a 2" group at 10yds but this has spread to 4". Could be the new batch of ammo I've made, or could be I need to clean the barrel. We'll see.

Last weekend I started my tween daughter on centerfire pistol. I stressed riflework with her since she was 10 which she has mastered. However pistolwork I waited until she was older. I started her on a rimfire over the last couple years until she could prove competent enough. She shot cold @15yds, single shot. She wasn't too concerned with the recoil, but the weight of the gun was definitely a thing. She'll get used to it.

Here's a short vid of her:

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I did have a non-catastophic failure today.
The front sight sheared off, most likely from constant abuse of the sight against kydex from countless presentations.
The screw shaft failed. Unfortunately I couldn't find the front sight, but admitedly only did a casual search in the grass to no avail.

I don't even think I'm going to waste any money replacing it. I did think about doing a tritium up front but this gun is not meant for anything more than range work.

It is a bit disconcerting not seeing the front sight in the field of view anymore. That will take some time getting used to I think.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Good news.
Unity Tactical emailed me back and is sending me a replacement front sight for free.
Smile

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I can't for the life of me figure why no one has offered a RDS with internal rear sight built into the window.

It wouldn't even be difficult to make it adjustable.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your kiddo keeps her finger on a trigger when she gets overwhelmed by gun's weight and brings it in for a short rest. Only pointing it out on the outside chance it may have escaped your attention, otherwise, A+ for getting her to learn this in such a methodical manner.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
Your kiddo keeps her finger on a trigger when she gets overwhelmed by gun's weight and brings it in for a short rest. Only pointing it out on the outside chance it may have escaped your attention, otherwise, A+ for getting her to learn this in such a methodical manner.

Yeah, we're working on that. She does well to keep her finger off when shooting rifles but she isn't used to pistols.