SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's.
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's. Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Good to see this thread is dying. Big Grin

Ha!
You convinced me earlier to keep it alive

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Alright.

Glock RMR19 is now at 1,250 rounds.

Ran 124gr+P factory Gold Dot, and my own hot replica loads for reliability and accuracy with an OEM barrel.

The good:

I really wanted to work my new holsters in shooting live drills. I need to pat myself on the back because I love them! I've carried the AIWB for two days straight and other than the longer grip, it feels identical to carrying my 26 in a GCode Incog.
I did ding up the battle belt holster a bit on the edges doing one handed reloading drills.

No probs at all with the RMR19's reliability. All HP rounds load fine. I am running an OEM RSA.

Now, I did order a VDI barrel for this gun, since I had so many hassle-free runs through the VDI on my RMR17. I'll run it with defensive ammo soon and if it proves reliable as factory, I'll leave it.

All rounds are still ejecting to the right of the gun as it should with the factory extractor. No need for an Apex yet.....although i did get one round to the top of the head, but that was shooting righty one handed with the gun tilted slightly.

RMR is holding up well. No probs with the LED going out. The screws are holding also. I did prime them prior to loctiting so that may have something to do with it.

The bad:

The damned front sight came off again! LOL
To be fair, I didn't prime the screw before loctite so maybe that is the issue. The 19 also recoils more violently than the 17 with a steady diet of +P so maybe that has something to do with it.
I'll clean, prime and loctite this time.

All in all, I probably won't shoot the RMR19 as much as the RMR17 (didn't shoot it at all over the past week, and I do miss it.)
But I will work with it during at least one gun class this year, maybe two.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Oh, also.
I tried the RMR19 slide on my edc 19 frame with the Agency magwell.

I must say that the magwell really helps to lock my hand at the pinky on the grip. It feels so much better for me than the gun without the grip and I notice the gun is much more controllable. However I don't want to put a magwell on the RMR since it adds a wee bit of width to the grip. And even though it isn't much, it's enough to change the way it carries under a garment. It becomes more noticeable if that makes sense. Or maybe I'm just being self-conscious about it.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update - it's interesting to watch as someone who carries pretty much a basic G19 Gen 4 (OEM - connector & extended slide stop, grip plug, Ameriglo sights, some grip tape, and XC1).

I have thought seriously about a low profile magwell, but know it is a game of "just a little more" until it's too much (which is a personal and subjective thing).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GREAT job on making your own holster, not sure i am there yet. Good to hear that things seem to be working so far with the RMR on the 19.

One of the top reasons i put the Agency magwell on all three of my 19s is the reason you described, really locks the grip in.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I've learned over the past year that the magwell may assist in seating mags, but honestly I can't think of a situation--whether during a training class, competition, range practice, or dry practice--that it's sped up my reload times or made them more consistent. In reality they're kind of useless on the large frame guns. But the grip assist on the compact frames is rather noticeable.

Picture of bmo
posted Hide Post
I like the holsters agony! I also got around to making an IWB for my RMR'd G19 with the comp, but still need to make an OWB with the X300U using the RTI setup. I don't know if I'm actually going to carry with the comp because it's pretty long, but in case I need to now I have a holster for it lol

Posts: 2653 | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bmo:
I like the holsters agony! I also got around to making an IWB for my RMR'd G19 with the comp, but still need to make an OWB with the X300U using the RTI setup. I don't know if I'm actually going to carry with the comp because it's pretty long, but in case I need to now I have a holster for it lol

That looks great, bmo!
I agree, I don't know if I could carry a Roland Special IWB, especially AIWB. Way too long for me.

How do you like the Freya magwell? Have you compared it with other brands?

Picture of bmo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:

That looks great, bmo!
I agree, I don't know if I could carry a Roland Special IWB, especially AIWB. Way too long for me.

How do you like the Freya magwell? Have you compared it with other brands?

I've been really happy with the Freya. My palms are a little large so the meaty portion of my palm hangs under the G19 magwell a little and a lot of times I'll get a magazine that won't drop free because the rear corner of the baseplate was contacting my palm. So that was my main reason for getting one. The magwell has solved that issue for me. Reloads seem smooth as ever and can't complain about the increased margin for error. The front lip of the magwell really does lock in your grip as you mentioned the Agency does.

Haven't compared it with other brands first hand though. I've wanted this particular design for my G19's since they were known as the Sentinel Design magwell for the G17. Sentinel Design kind of fell off the wayside and their G19 magwell became vaporware, so I was really happy when I learned Raven bought out the design and released the G19 model. So far have no complaints.

Posts: 2653 | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agony I swear you have bad loctite. RMR's and then this front sight. I've 100K+ rounds with Glocks and all of them have had a front sight replacement. I have never had this issue. clean prime loctite tighten. end of story.
PM me an address and I'll send you some of the real stuff that I know works!

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Agony I swear you have bad loctite. RMR's and then this front sight. I've 100K+ rounds with Glocks and all of them have had a front sight replacement. I have never had this issue. clean prime loctite tighten. end of story.
PM me an address and I'll send you some of the real stuff that I know works!

Thanks hrcjon.
I got a new bottle of 7649 primer. I also picked up some Permatex blue thread locker. Maybe this combo will do the trick.
There was a discussion on facebook amongst gun folk that I know that swear the recent batches of Loctite have been bad. Lots of loosening of things recently at gun classes.
If this doesn't work, I'll email you. Smile

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

Glock RMR19: 1,550 rounds.

Glock RMR17: 17.587 rounds

ETS 22-round mags: 23,925 rounds

I've been concentrating more on the 19 the past couple weeks since I'm still in that honeymoon phase with it, but I did manage to squeeze 300+ rounds through the 17 today as well.

Only thing new is I was able to pick up a new non-threaded barrel for the RMR19...I've had good luck with the VDI threaded for the 17, so for less than a third the cost of a S3F or other well-regarded aftermarket barrel, and for less than half of an oem barrel, I picked up a VDI again. It proved a tad bit more accurate than the OEM barrel.

The good:
The new barrel has proven reliable today. I only ran 300 124gr+P GDHP through it, without any failures whatsoever.

The RMR is holding up well so far. Screws remained tight.

The front sight is holding up well too. No loosening since re-priming/loctiting with a new tube of the blue stuff.

The RMR17 shoots as lovely and as reliable as ever.
The Trijicon for it is holding up well....although one string of fire I thought it turned off and quickly went to the irons. But when I looked again the dot was there. I don't know if it was just me (I was transitioning from an emergency reload after moving to cover then going to prone to shoot a 25 yd target) or if it was the sight. Time will tell.

The holsters are doing fine also.
I really love the AIWB especially.
I will be making one this weekend for my 43.

The ETS mags are still chugging along, in both the 17 and the 19.

No bad to report at all.

Happy Easter everyone!

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I've looked at the pictures, but I can't tell if you went with the same model RMR on both guns.

The thing I like best about this thread is it keeps me from having to keep my own notes!

Late summer, I think I am going to do a RMR project.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've looked at the pictures, but I can't tell if you went with the same model RMR on both guns.

The thing I like best about this thread is it keeps me from having to keep my own notes!

Yup, same model: RM07. It's the 6.5MOA dot. I really wanted a 3MOA dot for a second pistol, but this particular one was posted in the Classifieds for a good price. I couldn't resist.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
quote:

Yup, same model: RM07. It's the 6.5MOA dot. I really wanted a 3MOA dot for a second pistol, but this particular one was posted in the Classifieds for a good price. I couldn't resist.

Having both 3.25 and 6.5, I like them both but past 25 the 3.25 really shines.

Interesting on the VDI barrel, not one I hear mentioned much, where have you had luck finding them?

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundawg:
Interesting on the VDI barrel, not one I hear mentioned much, where have you had luck finding them?

Yeah there isn't much written about them online. I do read where their complete uppers suck balls.

The are machined nicely. The melonite finish is rock solid so far. Decent crowns.

The 17 barrel I found on ebay for I think $130.
The 19 barrel I found on another forum's classifieds for $60. Smile

posted Hide Post
I need to see the top of the slide, where the optic mounts and the bottom of the optic.

to see what or how the stay together ,
please

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I need to see the top of the slide, where the optic mounts and the bottom of the optic.

to see what or how the stay together ,
please

On page 9 you can see the bare slide, the dovetail for the atom mount adapter, etc. I don't have a pic of the bottom of the optic. And I'm not removing it anytime soon hopefully. Smile

I'll see if I can find a pic online of the bottom of a trijicon.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
the bottom of the optic looks like this:

posted Hide Post
thanks ,
I found this helpful, as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4CX3_zgnS8

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post