SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's.
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first foray into the world of pistol RMR's. Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I guess I'm going to quit running my mouth and man up for a RMR. I will either send off a M&P 2.0 or a Gen5 17.

I think I am going to go with a 3.25 MOA RMR though. I think those are the hardest two choices to me. I've read this thread and a couple of others a bunch over the last six months, wrung my hands, and now is the time to pull the pin.

Jump in jl....the water is fine. I’m up to 6 pistols with red dots and just took my own advice from another thread and ordered the a Sig 226R SAO RX.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I'm just wishy washy. All the back and forth trying to decide 3.25 or 6.5? 2.0 or G17. MOS or ATEi.

First world problems........

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it helps, but with my Vortex Venom 3 MOA and my astigmatism, if I want a bigger dot, I just turn up the brightness.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I'm just wishy washy. All the back and forth trying to decide 3.25 or 6.5? 2.0 or G17. MOS or ATEi.

First world problems........

I prefer the 3.25. I just got a venom with a 6MOA dot and it’s too big. Had a RMR RM07 preciously and felt the same.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty78,

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well OK then. What exactly do you do with the gun because it matters. Now about a zillion competition rounds trying to choose between an RMR06 and an RMR07. my conclusion...for speed choose the 07 at any distance less then 25m. otherwise chose an 06. But overall the 07 is a way better if you are gaming with the gun in IDPA or USSPA, or carrying it. Otherwise get an 06. The vortex dot I have no experience with, but others have described it as blooming.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Well OK then. What exactly do you do with the gun because it matters. Now about a zillion competition rounds trying to choose between an RMR06 and an RMR07. my conclusion...for speed choose the 07 at any distance less then 25m. otherwise chose an 06. But overall the 07 is a way better if you are gaming with the gun in IDPA or USSPA, or carrying it. Otherwise get an 06. The vortex dot I have no experience with, but others have described it as blooming.

That’s fine for outdoor shooting but indoor if you have the brightness up in a dark room or late at night when carrying the 6MOA dot will basically turn the entire field of view into a giant red splotch. Especially if you have s few micro scratches on the lens which is impossible to avoid. I know that they are adjustable but sometimes you forget when transition from a bright to a dark room. I don’t like the non-adjustable for carry. With the 3.25 even with the brightness all the way up the field of view isn’t completely obscured by bright red.

posted Hide Post
I'm not exactly sure your point, at least with respect to an RMR mounted. I use only RMR's so I have no idea about others. I have shot maybe 5K rounds in the last months in the complete dark as part of the winter competition shooting I do. If its totally dark it doesn't matter what the dot size is. If you have a light running ( I use a surefire X300) it also doesn't matter a hoot what the dot size is neither of them 'bloom' in a way that matters. The issues of adjustable versus non adjustable have not a thing to do with dot size at least in the RMR06/07 series. It does matter a lot in the non battery versions and I wouldn't recommend those for any use. I have carried an RMR in the woods for years now with my dogs and pretty much the same on a couple of thousand views of could I actually find the target. When I get a light online all is OK. If I don't have a light it won't matter. If I set my carry gun to a midlevel setting it works in just about all situations. Not perfect but usable. So I'm a bit confused by your post, so maybe some more specifics would help.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
What I’m saying is that if you have an adjustable RMR set to the brightest or close to the brightest setting and you are in a low light condition the larger dot will throw off more ambient light within the field of view of the RMR making the dot just a giant red splotch. The 3.25 MOA dot does this less as it is a smaller dot. I didn’t mean to confuse you. There’s no weapon mount d light in this scenario. I have had both the 6MOA and the 3.25MOA and compared them and found the smaller dot to be better for me in low light conditions. Even more so in low light conditions requiring longer shots.

For instance here is a 3.25 dot in a dark room with the brightness one below full bright.

When I tried the same with the 6MOA dot almost the entire field of view through the RMR was bright red. Just a giant square bright red blob. Yes if you keep the brightness down then that can be avoided but it can get pretty sunny down here and the medium setting might not be enough. sometimes you just forget to adjust it back down when the sun goes down. The 3.25 gives me all I need and I’m plenty fast with it. If you want a bigger dot you can turn up the intensity and not it will appear bigger.

posted Hide Post
I am not sure I really understand the practical difference. If I take an RMR06 and adjust it to the brightest setting it blooms to the point of useless to me in any light. The exact same for an RMR07. I grabbed a couple of guns and tried inside, outside, dark etc. and I couldn't find a meaningful difference. Either the dot was usable or it wasn't and I couldn't see where one was and the other wasn't. But OK I live in Maine so its not the desert on the equator at noon. In actual low light or no light it matters not as you can't see the target in any case.
I'm accept you like the 3.25 and there is a difference that matters to you. I can tell you that shooting competitively in both light and actual dark (with a light) I am personally faster with an RMR07 at reasonable ranges. I'm having a hard time with the idea of a low/no light use of an RMR in any case.

Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
1 is too small, 7 is too large. I agree that 3 - 3.25 is just right.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking of going to a red dot for handguns for a few months. Attaining 70 years next month, and the front sight has been difficult to find for a while, even with glasses! So after reading this thread, I have decided to take the plunge. Not sure if I go with a Glock MOS, a Sig 320 RX, or a Sig 226 RX. Leaning toward the 226 RX SAO if I can find one(sig fits my hand better than my Glocks, and I have several 226’s, and hence magazines, etc)

Now that this forum as convinced me to go the RDS route, any suggestions on how to sell it to the spouse? Already selling most of the unused stuff in the gun safe, but may need another excuse, preferably one I haven’t used before(which is difficult at my age)

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 367 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well after looking at the Sig website, my problem was solved- Sig had the 226 RX conversion kit in stock, and asking Sig CS to confirm it would fit my German 226 and my newer 226 SAO, I was thinking about it when the CSR offered a 10% discount! Almost dislocated my shoulder reaching for the wallet! Got the email several hours later that the conversion kit was shipped- now just have to wait until the 40 S&W conversion kit becomes available again and I will have a 226 Elite(9mm), 226RX(9mm) and 40S&W, all on the SAO frame to match my favorite 220 SAO. Life will be good!

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 367 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Sounds great USAFA71! Post up some pics when you get a chance. Smile

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Monthly update:
I'll try to update once a month as I really am interested in documenting any significant issues or failures as I continue to use the hell out of this pistol.

Since a month ago I've put another 2,000 rounds through it: 1,500 with my usualy 124gr+P defensive replication fodder, and 500 rounds of 147gr subsonic through a suppressor.

Total rounds Glock RMR17: 32,085
Total rounds through the six ETS mags: 38,183

The good:
No failures to fire or extract. Running the same factory RSA. Haven't changed any of the smaller springs or parts in the gun.

The Trijicon has been fine since I replaced the battery a month ago. No loosening of the mounting screws. No change in zero. No sputtering or blanking out of the dot. I am running it on auto brightness mode lately. I'm also leaving the dot on 24/7 even when stored.

Absolutely no loosening of the front sight screw. Fingers crossed.

The bad:
I started getting brass to face about two weeks ago, and is still there but not getting more frequent. I'd say maybe 1-2 rounds per 22-rd mag. Perhaps it's the powder I'm using, as this batch of ammo was made using a different lot# than what I had used in the past. Perhaps it's the extractor spring that needs replaced.
I'll run it again for another week or two with ammo made from a different powder lot to see.
If it continues I'll go ahead and replace all of the small springs in the slide.

That's it. Nothing else bad to report.
Oh, I did have a single failure to go to battery but that was my fault.

I also shot a match this weekend with it and won $80. Smile

Shooting the gun in a deluge is a bit trying. The gen4 grip gets a little more slippery as you can imagine, but it's still a lot better than shooting a gen3/gen2 standard texture while soaking wet. I keep thinking I'm going to eventually do a stipple job on the frame but at this point there isn't an need for it. Why remove material when I don't need to right now?

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
The finish on the Unity Tactical slide and the barrel are holding up well, although I think I'm starting to see some thinning of the cerakote. The Surefire is definitely worse for wear compared to the gun, most likely because it takes the brunt of the holstering retention.

ALso when I set the gun out in the sun later on to dry, I noticed that the rear rails on the frame appear to have a strange brass/bronze colour, as if the rails were made of potmetal rather than solid stainless steel. It almost resembles the gold lube that comes with the gun while still new from factory, but that shit has been cleaned off looong ago. It doesn't scratch off. I'll do a complete strip soon and try to remove it.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Great update!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and gave it a complete breakdown (except for the mag release and magwell) and stuck all the bits into the ultrasonic for a good cleaning, including the slide.
I washed the frame in the sink with good ol' soap and hot water.
I didn't redo the loctite on the front sight as I left it on, but I have a feeling that it may loosen due to the ultrasonic. We'll see.
And the bronze colour on the rear rails didn't come off. I tried brushing it off to no avail.
Interesting.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Quick update:
I picked up ten of the OEM Glock X 19 round mags. I didn't know they were available for sale without having to buy the GlockX so I jumped on some while I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket. Yeah they are a bit expensive, but I've wanted solid tan coloured mags forever. Sadly they are coyote tan rather than the Glock FDE colour, but hey they still look pretty cool.

I ran one full mag each through four of them for a total of 77 rounds. I dig them much more than the ETS mags I've been shooting since before the start of this thread. And because they are OEM they should run reliably forever, right? Smile

Total through the RMR17 pistol: 33,062 rounds
Total through ETS mags: 39,006 rounds

posted Hide Post
I've my first RMR coming. I've a Leupold DPP and AP T-1 mounted, and way back when had a JP optic on, but never an RMR. Where exactly does dielectric grease go?

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just attended an excellent RDS class last weekend with Modern Samaraui Project near DFW. 10 students, no failures

1 P320 w/ Vortex Venom
1 FN 509 w/ RMR
8 Glocks w/ various types of RMR’s.

The instructor said Energizer batteries suck, Duracell only for this application.
Loctite mounting screws and don’t over tighten. Once installed, tap all four corners of optic base to make sure it’s properly seated.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post