SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta 92 ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 92 ? Login/Join 
Picture of indigoss
posted
I'm entertaining the idea of getting a Beretta 92 series but I don't know much about them. I have heard mixed opinions through the years but never paid much attention. So now I am looking for information or recommendations etc. Any input on pros, cons, finish, reliability etc would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I bought a new 92 from PSA for $449 I shot it a bit and but in the D spring hammer spring and a 14 pound recoil spring and it's been fantastic to shoot.
That led me to getting a Wilson Combat 92.

Sweet guns!

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
One of the most reliable combat pistols around.
A little big, but so are the P226, HK USP, Ruger P89, Walther P88, Glock 17, CZ 75.

Q

Posts: 26351 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're great guns. Reliability complaints usually stem from poorly maintained service pistols and/or use of bad mags. Stick to factory or MecGar mags and it should be fine. My Beretta 92FS has been the most reliable gun I've ever owned.

They are large guns, so that can be an issue. However, I have small/medium hands and I can shoot my 92 better than just about anything else, even 1911s.

My only experience has been with the 92FS so I'll let others talk about the other variations.

Also, the 92s have been discussed here quite a bit. You should do a search if you haven't already.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat/Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical is all that needs to be said, IMO.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Beretta 92 series of pistols are some of the finest service pistols available and I would happily trust my life to one. I own several examples and I have never had an issue with any of mine after thousands of rounds over a span of fifteen years.

You have several great options to choose from and you won't be disappointed with any of the various models. If you want a rail I would recommend trying to find an M9A1 (they can be difficult to locate right now) or an M9A3 (if you can afford one) but a 92A1 has a number of features that make them appealing also.

If you would prefer a pistol without a rail the 92 and M9 pistols are great options. A current production 92 with have a slight relief cut under the bevertail that will make it very comfortable but the M9 will not have the same cut. Some people have commented that the recent batches of Italian made 92's have had a rough texture to the frame finish but I cannot speak from personal experience.

Any time someone gets a new Beretta 92 I recommend they also purchase a set of VZ G10s (I like the Tactical Slants personally) and a "D" hammer spring (to reduce the double action trigger pull to about ten pounds).

Hope this helps.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
The 92FS is an excellent handgun. At the $449 price point perhaps the best value full size DA/SA pistol currently available. Accurate, reliable and a joy to shoot.

My preference was to add the Beretta steel parts kit and above mentioned "D" and recoil springs.

The FS (decock/safety)is easily changed to a G Model(decock only), using Beretta's conversion kit.

Some do not care for the fixed front sight. I have no problem with it.

Be warned, Beretta's tend to multiply. Big Grin

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
IMO the best full size 9mm made.

VZ slim grips make a big difference in the feel. If your looking for upscale, the Wilson Combat Brig Tac is awesome, get the trigger tune.

The M9A3 offers both the Vertec and regular grip options.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:

The Wilson Combat/Beretta 92G Centurion Tactical is no slouch either. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Redhookbklyn,

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Enjoy some eye candy while you decide....

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3790056234

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 92fs is one tough pistol that functions like it is riding on ball bearings. The action is very smooth and adding a "D" spring, can make all of the difference in a da trigger pull. Magazines are probably the cheapest you will find for a pistol but don't buy Promag brand. MecGar makes a lot of mags for a lot of manufacturers and can be trusted. It is a large size pistol but is one of the best shooters and recoil is next to nil. You just have to decide what options you want-dovetail sights,color, rail,etc..

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the zombies come, I put down what ever I had and pick up my 92g without hesitation.

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
My experience with Berettas is limited to a 92FS Inox and an 84BB. The 92 is very smooth and the DA trigger pull is really nice with the simple addition of a D hammer spring. It's a great looking pistol and very reliable.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:

The Wilson Combat/Beretta 92G Centurion Tactical is no slouch either. Big Grin

Have you made a trip to the range with your Centurion Tactical yet? I have one on order with the action tune. Should have it in about a month or so. As a long time Beretta 90 series fan I absolutely love my Brig Tac. Costly, but well worth it!

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueinterceptor:
If the zombies come, I put down what ever I had and pick up my 92g without hesitation.

This. I carry a P229 daily but if things ever go pear shaped it will be the M9A3 that I'll be reaching for.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I grabbed one of the PSA Beretta 92FS pistols made in Italy. I added the D spring kit and what a sweet shooting pistol it is. I can see how addictive they are. I just ordered a Beretta 85F 380 pistol. And so it begins.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
A lot of great replies so far. I'm sifting through information and options. I found this video which I thought was very interesting, an in depth look at the Beretta.

https://youtu.be/c2AZyOswi7g

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Love my 92's, so much that my year 2000 92fs is my favorite gun in my collection.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Beretta 92 is great! So much so that I sent my Italian made 92FS to Josh at AGW in Pittsburgh, PA and had a few custom things done to it: had the trigger guard rounded off and the frame re-annodized. Then Josh installed REAL bar stock steel parts (one-sided safety lever, trigger, mag release button). Replaced the plastic lanyard loop with a metal one and finally replaced the plastic guide rod with a steel one. Not only is the pistol a work of art, it shoots like a dream too. The Palmetto Armory deal is too good to pass up for $449 shipped. Get one!

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
My 92 is the absolute last gun I would part with.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post