SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recommendations For Browning Hi Power Grips?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations For Browning Hi Power Grips? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
So the "Is it dead yet?" thread got me thinking. I've got a Mk III Browning HP with the wooden grips, and they feel pretty blocky from side to side. I'd like something that'll give me about the same girth as a P226 (just because that fits me pretty well) or maybe a hair slimmer.

FWIW, I couldn't care less about aesthetics.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
My recommendation would be Hogue.
Hogue offers Hi Power grips in a variety of material. Don't know if it will get you the girth of a P226.....
Check em out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ken @ Hogue Inc,

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1597 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thinnest grips on the market are Naviderix Black Micarta which are available at Brownells.

Hogues are great as well but are thicker than Naviderix and IIRC come in a few different woods.

Spegel's are one of my favorites but they are harder to get a hold of. Lots of custom builders like C&S, Garthwaite, Don Williams etc... gobble them up. They have a slight palmswell which makes them thicker than Naviderix.

Harretts are solid but too thick for my taste.

One thing to remember is that grips are hard to fit to the BHP and at times grips will require some customization to get them to fit perfectly.

Posts: 413 | Registered: July 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another factor to consider is that for a double-stack gun, the Hi Power is actually fairly thin. You need to ascertain the grip thickness that provides for the ideal natural positioning of your trigger finger on the trigger; While Craig Spegel's work is superb, I found his grips to be too thin for my hand; my default Hi Power grip is Hogue's rubber fingergroove grip. YMMV...

Best, Jon

Posts: 995 | Location: Auburn, WA USA | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Ken, you knew I was gonna look - I was trying to dig into the options that I don't know much about.

You aren't offering any bundles with the FX-02, are you? Razz

quote:
Originally posted by WVsigP228:
One thing to remember is that grips are hard to fit to the BHP and at times grips will require some customization to get them to fit perfectly.

I can dig it.

quote:
..ideal natural positioning of your trigger finger...

I can also dig that. The first thing that had to go on the 227 was the short trigger. If you've tried them both, how would you compare the Hogue rubber grips to the blocky original wood grips?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Ken, you knew I was gonna look - I was trying to dig into the options that I don't know much about.

You aren't offering any bundles with the FX-02, are you? Razz

quote:

I can dig it.

quote:
..ideal natural positioning of your trigger finger...

I can also dig that. The first thing that had to go on the 227 was the short trigger. If you've tried them both, how would you compare the Hogue rubber grips to the blocky original wood grips?

Hogue rubber are just as thick as the factory wood but not as blocky in the hand if that makes sense.

They will fill your hand with about the same amount of grip but will feel very different in the hand.

If you needed a short trigger on a 227 I would look for something thinner.

http://www.brownells.com/handg...grips-prod60413.aspx

These are not as thin a Naviderix but are decent. They are not as nice as Spegel but are much cheaper.

I have a pair of Hogue Coco Bolo on a Garthwaite Custom which I like a lot but honestly wish Spegels were available at that time but they weren't so I went with the Hogues.

https://www.hogueinc.com/brown...-coco-bolo-checkered

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WVsigP228,

posted Hide Post
The factory Mark III rubber grips are pretty thin and I like those the best in a thin grip for the Mark III.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
The factory Mark III rubber grips are pretty thin and I like those the best in a thin grip for the Mark III.

There are no MKIII rubber grips. There are plastic and there are wood stocks. The Practical and some of the chromed models came with Pachyars but they have not shipped a Practical or Chromed BHP in a long time.

posted Hide Post
You might like Uncle Mike's Spegels in rubber. Discontinued but Buds may have some in stock.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...r_rubber_grips_59508

I prefer the Navridex for carry but the Uncle Mike's Spegels are great for the range. A little strip of 3M traction tape or skateboard tape on the front strap completes the package.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Navidrex wood or synthetic for the thinnest on the market. Get then at Brownells, you won't be sorry.

Posts: 6614 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Navidrex wood or synthetic for the thinnest on the market. Get then at Brownells, you won't be sorry.

They are out of stock. I love the micarta ones they are my go to BHP grips for serious business guns. LOL

certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
Take a look at VZ
https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/hi-power

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

There are no MKIII rubber grips. There are plastic and there are wood stocks. The Practical and some of the chromed models came with Pachyars but they have not shipped a Practical or Chromed BHP in a long time.

The Plastic ones then. The plastic feels sort of like rubber. But they're the thinnest and have nice ergonomics from what I've seen.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My High Power MK III with matte finish sports the Uncle Mike's rubber panel grips. These are great and look really nice! Too bad they have been discontinued.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, could I ask you to tell me more about the Navridex options? They may be fine or a hair thinner than I originally intended (which isn't necessarily a problem), but the name certainly seems to keep popping up. Do you like the wood or the Micarta better?

quote:
Hogue rubber are just as thick as the factory wood but not as blocky in the hand if that makes sense.

They will fill your hand with about the same amount of grip but will feel very different in the hand.

I think that does make sense. Basically the bulk is more towards the front of the grips than the back of the grips, and the backs of the panels are a bit more rounded, right?

quote:
If you needed a short trigger on a 227 I would look for something thinner.

It's the other way around.

I've gotta admit, those Hogues look really nice.

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mew:
Take a look at VZ
https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/hi-power

I'm new to Hi Powers, having bought my first one a few months ago, but I bought the VZ Pro Slims and I like them a lot.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Gentlemen, could I ask you to tell me more about the Navridex options? They may be fine or a hair thinner than I originally intended (which isn't necessarily a problem), but the name certainly seems to keep popping up. Do you like the wood or the Micarta better?

They are super thin. Thinner than anything on the market. If you have larger hands they might be too thin. Hogues, Herrets and Spegels are all thicker.

The wood Naviderix are thicker because they have a palmswell where the Mircarta are basically flat. I have never purchased their wood version personally but have shot them. I prefer the Micarta.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madmatt:
You might like Uncle Mike's Spegels in rubber. Discontinued but Buds may have some in stock.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...r_rubber_grips_59508

I prefer the Navridex for carry but the Uncle Mike's Spegels are great for the range. A little strip of 3M traction tape or skateboard tape on the front strap completes the package.

The Spegel Uncle Mikes are also nice grips. They are thicker than the Navridex Micarta and have a nice tacky feel to them. Buds found some old new stock and the price has been creeping up. They started in the $35 IIRC. They are now asking $49. At that price they are not worth is IMHO.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have a set of the Navidex on my Hi Power and I love them. Think and grippy.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post