SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SW 3" 686+ grips & leather holster for "carry"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SW 3" 686+ grips & leather holster for "carry" Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
what do y'all like?
I have normal sized hands, but fairly long fingers.
For reference, I like the grips on my GP100 Match Champion.
Holster will need to be leather(revolvers just belong in leather), strong side OWB.

Posts: 6303 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hogue grip and Ryan Grizzle working man

Posts: 1659 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Revolver rides well in leather

They also like wood grips

I am partial to smooth Jerry Miculek style

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahrends Retro Combat and Bianchi 5BHL

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
586L comp with Spegel grips and MD Whitefield holster.

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
With a piece as beautiful as the 686, it would be a travesty for it to travel in anything but leather.

Posts: 13104 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great suggestions so far. Keep’em coming.

Posts: 6303 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I have Hogue grips on my 3" 686+ and those are nice, but lately I've really taken a liking to Presentation Grade walnut grips by Herrett's. I have a set of these on my S&W L-framed Model 696 now.

The holster I use for either of these or my factory 3" Colt Python is a 1980's vintage G. Wm Davis "Pancake" style rig, that I purchased "back in the day". I'm not sure if these are still available.

S&W Model 686+ .357:

S&W Model 696 .44 Special:

My holster:

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a 2.5” 686 for years and finally settled on a Milt Sparks PMK. I love that holster. For grips, I like the Pachmayr Compac rubber ones that cover the backstrap.

I know it’s not wood, but they’re very comfortable, even with full house .357’s. My 686 is a shooter / woods gun, not a presentation piece.

Posts: 329 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pulicords, how are liking the grips you put on the 696? I have a 696 and benn thinking about changing it up some. Do those give enough protection to the fingers from the trigger guard?

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cworetired:
pulicords, how are liking the grips you put on the 696? I have a 696 and benn thinking about changing it up some. Do those give enough protection to the fingers from the trigger guard?

If you go to Herrett's website, you'll see that their stocks are made to your specific hand dimensions, as they like you to send a tracing with your (first) order. Consequently, these fit my hand great! They're comfortable as well as good looking.

http://www.herrettstocks.com/orderfrm.htm

http://www.herrettstocks.com/album.htm

ETA: Another nice thing about Herrett's is that they'll make you a nice set of "Roper" style grips even if your revolver isn't an S&W. My Colt Diamondbacks have them too and they feel far more comfortable than the originals!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks I will be looking into them.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am looking into this as well, (grips anyway), for my new to me 4" 686 round butt. I came across a grip maker by the name of Alta Mont company out of Il. . The prices are very attractive but I have no experience with them. I am debating on dropping the hammer, so to speak and getting a set. I am starting to appreciate more the quality/reliability/fit of a nice revolver with a set of wood grips.

That Colt with the wood grips looks fantastic.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am also in the want to know more. I just bought a new S&W 686+ Performance Center with the 2.5in barrel. And I’m having a heck of a time choosing a leather owb holster. Any good suggestions fellow members?

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of good info. Right now I’m going cheap just to get the gun on my hip & to the range.
So far:

Picture of Frogwalking
posted Hide Post
Altamont is first class.

Posts: 9 | Location: Smoky Mountains | Registered: December 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m gonna sound like a Glock hater, but... I’m not sure I like the Hogue grips. The finger grooves don’t fit me at all (never bothered me on a glock, FYI) and they actually feel a bit large. But I haven’t shot it with the new grips.

Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
A lot of great looking revolvers in this thread. I prefer rubber/synthetic or checkered wood grips when carrying a revolver. I find smooth wood grips are too hard to hold when trying to shoot fast.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I just couldn’t get used to the G10 Hogue Monogrip. I never even fired the gun w/ it installed. Doing dry fire and presentation drills, i never could get lined up with the finger grooves. If I settled into the grooves, my fingers felt spread out and I was very low on the gun. If I got up on the backstrap where I felt I should be, my fingers were on the high spots of the grooves.
LGS had a Hogue rubber monogrip so I swapped out for it. It’s a bit shorter and the grooves aren’t as pronounced. Feels a LOT better. My only concern is having my cover garment getting hung up on the soft rubber. I think this grip search is going to take a while.
Oh, BTW...The G10 Monogrip is in my ad in the classifiedS.