SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Issue Login/Join 
posted
I am a new member and this is my first post on this site, so please bear with me if this topic has been discussed before.

I recently bought a new 9mm Sig P320 FDE pistol. I like everything about this pistol except for one thing. When I shoot it, 9 out of 10 spent cases hit me on the bill of my ball cap or on the top of my glasses frame.

I am not new to shooting semi auto pistols. I have been an avid 1911 guy since my Army days back in 1968. I own several other polymer framed semi auto pistols and I do not experience this case discharge problem with any of them.

Has any of you had this problem? I defer to you for suggestions as to the cause and the solution.

Oh, did I say this pistol is very accurate even thought I am ducking hot brass!!

Posts: 6 | Registered: September 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
A few boxes of ammo run through the pistol should make the problem go away. This is basically a break-in issue.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I find a good deal on 9mm ammo, I buy some. I think I have nine or ten cases on hand currently.
I will take your advice and run a few more hundred rounds more through it. It has 150 rounds through it so far.
I hope to eventually use this pistol as the weapon I carry in my console.

posted Hide Post
I don't recall seeing any P320 threads indicating it has a chronic BTF problem like the Glocks did a few years ago.

Could be break-in or a certain ammo brand. I'd at least try a second brand. What are you using now? If it still persists with a mix of ammo, I'd consider sending it back under warranty.

I'd also do a visual check on the extractor and see if anything looks out of the ordinary, like burrs.

Welcome to the forum.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum!

Try a few different kinds of ammo. You can also try a noncaptured guide rod (Gray Guns makes a good one) and a selection of different weight recoil springs. Use 1911 springs.
Other than that, grease it up and shoot it until it's broken in Smile

Luck,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SF. Something may be retarding the slide speed. New, fully loaded mags may cause this. And I would run it "wet" for 300 rounds or so to ensure its not a lubrication problem.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you shooting 115 grain? 124 grain or higher might help.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far I have used 115 gr Fiochi, 115 gr Blazer Brass, and 115 gr UMC. The brand of ammo doesn't seem to make much difference.
I load five rounds in a magazine each time I shoot. That keeps the RO's happy.
Prior to this Sig I bought a S&W M&P2.0. It jammed almost every time on the first range trip. During that first trip, a friend I shoot with asked to see it. He field stripped the pistol and oiled the hell out of it. So much so, that my glasses ended up with oil spatters after a few mags. That was the only way it would run for the first 200 or so rounds.
My 1911s require just a light coating of lubricant and they will run like a Swiss watch. After My 2.0 incident, I now generously lubricate any new polymer pistol I buy, prior to the first range trip.
I generally shoot at 7 and 15 yards. At that range I general look through the sights. It is an odd sensation seeing every spent casing come flipping end over end directly over the rear sight and land directly between your eyes or on your ball cap bill. I am not one to flinch, but a piece of hot brass landing on your eyelid or nose will give you pause.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEXVET:

Are you in NY? Confused

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:

Are you in NY? Confused

I have a friend in Lansing MI whom I visit and we go to a free DNR run range near him that requests the same thing. Roll Eyes

quote:
So far I have used 115 gr Fiochi, 115 gr Blazer Brass, and 115 gr UMC.

That would be interesting to see what 147gr does.
And welcome to the forum TEXVET.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ddown
posted Hide Post
The DNR Range let's you load 6 don't exaggerate

Posts: 17 | Location: MI | Registered: February 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So far I have used 115 gr Fiochi, 115 gr Blazer Brass, and 115 gr UMC. The brand of ammo doesn't seem to make much difference.
Prior to this Sig I bought a S&W M&P2.0. It jammed almost every time on the first range trip. During that first trip, a friend I shoot with asked to see it. He field stripped the pistol and oiled the hell out of it. So much so, that my glasses ended up with oil spatters after a few mags. That was the only way it would run for the first 200 or so rounds.
My 1911s require just a light coating of lubricant and they will run like a Swiss watch. After My 2.0 incident, I now generously lubricate any new polymer pistol I buy, prior to the first range trip.
I generally shoot at 7 and 15 yards. At that range I general look through the sights. It is an odd sensation seeing every spent casing come flipping end over end directly over the rear sight and land directly between your eyes or on your ball cap bill. I am not one to flinch, but a piece of hot brass landing on your eyelid or nose will give you pause.

Thanks for the detailed info. I'll use your post as a template. For ease of reading, I'll use all CAPS on my comments.:

- So far I have used 115 gr Fiochi, 115 gr Blazer Brass, and 115 gr UMC. The brand of ammo doesn't seem to make much difference.

OBVIOUSLY APPEARS NOT TO BE AMMO RELATED.

- I load five rounds in a magazine each time I shoot. That keeps the RO's happy.

NO CHOICE IF THAT'S A RANGE REQUIREMENT. HOWEVER, AT HOME I'D FILL ALL MAGS TO FULL CAPACITY AND LET THEM SIT FOR A WEEK OR TWO. SOME LARGER CAPACITY MAGS NEED THIS FOR EASE OF RELOADING, AND IN SOME CASES, PROPER FUNCTIONING. IT'S A BREAK-IN FOR MAG SPRINGS. REGARDLESS, ALSO MARK EACH MAG WITH A UNIQUE ID. HELPS IN TRACING SPECIFIC MAG PROBLEMS LATER.

- Prior to this Sig I bought a S&W M&P2.0. It jammed almost every time on the first range trip. During that first trip, a friend I shoot with asked to see it. He field stripped the pistol and oiled the hell out of it. So much so, that my glasses ended up with oil spatters after a few mags. That was the only way it would run for the first 200 or so rounds.

FINE IF IT'S NECESSARY TO MAKE THE GUN RUN AND IS A TEMPORARY MEASURE. GENERALLY THOUGH IT'S BAD PRACTICE. EVENTUALLY GUMS UP AND WILL COLLECT DEBRIS FROM FIRING. IMO, SAME FOR THE PISTOL ITSELF. EXCESSIVE LUBING SHOULD NOT BE NECESSARY. NEVER HAD A GUN THAT NEEDED IT TO WORK RELIABLY...SINCE 1962.

- If all fails, send it back to Sig under warranty. Something is wrong with the pistol. Provide them with as much detailed info as possible. Call CS first and discuss it.

FWIW, my own P320C 9mm is not picky at all with ammo. Runs low-mid range reloads, factory ball ammo and +P+ defensive ammo. Ejection and reliability is fine with anything that goes bang.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being a Veteran and also a Companies Armorer during my years in the Army, it is with great duress that I overly lubricate any pistol. The amount of oil I applied to that M&P 2.0 would have gotten me an Article 15 back in my Army days.
I appreciate the advice you guys have offered. I would really like for this P320 to operate smoothly. It is a very well thought out firearm. I am sure that after several more rounds and maybe a little tuning of the ejector, it will be fine.

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I understand some of the early models had the same problem. My advanced tactical instructor had one of those and experienced the same problems as you. One of the gunsmiths in my class worked on it and eventually tried several different recoil spring weights. They ended up with a lighter weight recoil spring. I was asked to shoot the gun during the first half of a class as the instructor was writing an article to be published about the 320. Except for one Type 3 malfunction it ran without a hiccup. Slide velocity was thought to be the original problem. You might try the same thing to see it it fixes your issue although YMMV.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I would try ammunition with heavier weight bullets and higher velocities if possible. Although they seem to be out of stock of it at present, SGAmmo was selling Winchester Q4318 “NATO spec” stuff with 124 grain bullets at a good price. I’ve tested it before and it’s a little hotter than most 124 grain FMJ, so it might do better in your P320.

That ejection pattern is often due to low slide velocity and anything that speeds it up might help. The 115 grain loads you mention aren’t particularly powerful.

And FWIW, a billed cap or hat is an essential bit of safety equipment when shooting any autoloading firearm. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am a new member and this is my first post on this site, so please bear with me if this topic has been discussed before.

I recently bought a new 9mm Sig P320 FDE pistol. I like everything about this pistol except for one thing. When I shoot it, 9 out of 10 spent cases hit me on the bill of my ball cap or on the top of my glasses frame.

I am not new to shooting semi auto pistols. I have been an avid 1911 guy since my Army days back in 1968. I own several other polymer framed semi auto pistols and I do not experience this case discharge problem with any of them.

Has any of you had this problem? I defer to you for suggestions as to the cause and the solution.

Oh, did I say this pistol is very accurate even thought I am ducking hot brass!!

My Defender did the same thing. After 600ish rounds it stopped..

So like some suggested.. run more rounds through it and see how it goes..

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Bremerton WA.
Sig P938/238 Equinox
Sig P320C RX
Colt Mustang XSP FE

Posts: 50 | Location: Southeast NH | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 115 grain loads you mention aren’t particularly powerful.

The recent NH State IDPA event seven shooters failed to make the power factor. all were using factory 115 gn and at least five
Winchester White box.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given that you mention a similar issue with the new M&P 2.0, which is a totally unrelated technical issue, I respectfully recommend you consider your technique. I use the same ammo, am a small guy, with the same guns, and have not seen this issue with either gun, much less both.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post