SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking about a P229
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about a P229 Login/Join 
posted
Firstly, should i consider new or used?

Posts: 232 | Registered: April 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An agency trade-in or CPO is a good choice if you don’t mind .40. Usually they’re carried a lot but shot just enough to smooth out the trigger.

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree used 40s are cheap. Picked up a
40 with Legacy slide for $450, added SRT kit, Hogue G10 grips.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P229 is one of my favorite pistols and is my go to gun for about everything.

Whether you buy new or used is your personal choice.
All of mine are CPO's(red box) and they were like new. It seems though that within the last couple of years, Sig CPO's have went up in price.

There are a ton of companies that are selling Police trade ins at some really good prices.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have no problems with used guns if they are in good shape.

The real dilemma with the 229 is which one to get first.
So many flavors to choose from.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what should be examined if the gun is used?

Posts: 232 | Registered: April 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
A worn finish from holsters and such.
How much finish is left if it is worn.
All that is cosmetic, if the frame rails have a significant amount of wear that is a problem.
But if it was lubed properly then that shouldn't be an issue.

My P220 had quite a bit of finish wear on it but the rails on the frame still had all the anodizing and didn't have any aluminum showing.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What to look for one a used P229? Nothing different than any other pistol I guess. Do the NS work (though not important if you're changing anyway), is everything factory or did they bubba things up, any signs it was dropped, either on hammer or muzzle. You can try to get a basic idea of how much it's been fired by the amount of smilies on the outside of the barrel, but they're no guarantee of anything.

If you're getting a PD trade in, you're not gonna be able to look before you buy, but that wouldn't bother me anyway. With those, I'd just expect to change the grips, they tend to get worn rubbing and bumping into everything sticking out of the holster.

Either way, if it's a range toy, just clean and lube and shoot the snot out of it. If it's to be used for defense, get a parts kit to give it a tune up, clean, lube, test fire for reliable function and go.

To me, the P229 is the pistol for .40. My wife actually prefers the recoil out of my .40 P229 than my 9mm P228. So anytime I hear someone say .40 is snappy, I assume they've only fired Glocks. And if .40 in a P229 is mild, how do you think 9mm is? IMO, if you think bore axis is a concern, you'll forget about it after shooting a P229.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with used. I have a P228 & P229 in 9MM and really like them. I did recently realize my trigger finger is a bit short to reach the trigger correctly. So, if you have stubby fingers, it might be worth checking out before you buy.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
The 229 is an excellent choice. I recently picked up a nice one for $400. I am quite pleased with it.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P229 in .357 is my favorite pistol. I carry a P365 as well when a smaller footprint is preferred.

Posts: 111 | Location: Alabama | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of johnnyringo8769
posted Hide Post
well this is what i did when i was looking....i knew i wanted a early one...really wanted to find a german made one...they are harder than hens teeth to find...so i found a triple serial number one from 1994 and what i think was a NOS condition with box and two 12 rd mags and case and box with paperwork..and got it for a song just under 500 usd ...and i got it around Christmas time too..so they just wanted to move it along..i personally love the older stuff...it will all depends on your budget...i find lots of great deals online..as i live in a small town where there is very few Sig Sauers...and they get a pretty premium if they do sell...
Merry Christmas...God Bless,John

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. Our Military
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

The Republic will cease to exist when the government takes away from those who are willing to work to give to those who are not.
Unknown....

"This is what the Lord says: 'Stand at the crossroads and look; Ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.' " (Jer. 6:16)

Posts: 106 | Location: Jamestown NY 14701 | Registered: December 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
A P229 in your choice of caliber is a great pistol! Used or new it will shoot and be reliable with a little TLC.I prefer one in .357Sig, But be careful, they do tend to multiply!

Posts: 783 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an SAS, frame made in Germany. It's my desk gun and I am replacing it with an 40 cal Elite all stainless one (bought from member here) because I like the heft of an all steel gun. Also, it will become a Sig 357.

That said, I won't get rid of the SAS it's just too damn good of a pistol and my last 9MM. I suggest that you buy new if the model you want available. That way you actually know its history.

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
If you know what to look for on them, I'd suggest finding an older version.

While I'll probably eventually let my .40 go, I'll most likely keep the .357 SIG:

I bought these while I was stationed in Germany during the early/mid '90s.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I've got one of each flavor..the 9mm handles like a souped up .22, the 229 in .40 is the only pistol in .40 that I've ever enjoyed and the .357sig seems like it was made for the 229. As others mentioned, the "snappy" .40 is for Glocks/etc...in a .229, it's just solid and very controllable. The .357Sig version is hands down my favorite. I carried a newer version with a light attached as my duty gun for years. I've got a 94 year model in .357sig as well. If you end up with a used one, just install new springs, buy a pile of mags, get a quality holster or three and off you go. You won't be disappointed.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a circa 2010 9MM P229. It's been great, lots of rounds through it, no mods required, but I made a few just because. It has done multiple courses with only one noticeable magazine caused issue.

I'd look for a 229-1 so you could interchange slides and calibers if you chose. You also get a 15 round vs 13 round magazine. You can get them new or used. If you go used, I'd drop a sig parts kit in to refresh the springs.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a CPO 229 from an SF member. Older gun with no rail. I could not tell it from a new gun and it shoots that way. I try to send any used Sig I buy back to Sig for the $150 tune up, which will bring the gun to factory specs and include fresh night sights. I don't much care what a used Sig looks like, as long as there is no sign of gross abuse or a cracked frame. I can always turn it around.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
On the police trade in's look it over good and make sure it wasn't carried by Officer Sweaty in a leather holster.
I seen a couple that looked like parts gun candidates.

3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
New, clean used, rail/no rail. Don't think you can go wrong. Within my humble experience,they all work. Just get what appeals to you most, at a price you're willing to pay. I've had several variations. I will confess my preference is for the earlier "Legacy" type slides, with the 13-shot type frames (if in 9mm), and no rail.....ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post