SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking about a P229
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about a P229 Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
To look for:

The earliest P229s I’m aware of had slides finished in something called “F-coat.” The next version’s slides were finished in the original form of Nitron. That finish was very abrasive and not all that durable. It caused very noticeable wear on the barrel, to the point of leaving a ridge near the top of the muzzle. The worst one I had was a 9mm. The barrel wear didn’t seem to have any effect on accuracy, but it was disconcerting to look at. The sharp edges of the slide also showed finish wear with that Nitron.

The later Nitron that I assume is still used is an excellent finish. It is not obviously abrasive and is extremely tough and durable. I have a P229 that I’ve carried almost daily for years and two P226s that are my primary training handguns. One has over 14K rounds through it and the other over 9000. The P226s have been drawn countless times from leather and plastic holsters, but none of the three show any finish wear on the slides—none at all, even on the sharp corners.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun Zeke:
Nothing wrong with used. I have a P228 & P229 in 9MM and really like them. I did recently realize my trigger finger is a bit short to reach the trigger correctly. So, if you have stubby fingers, it might be worth checking out before you buy.

Solved that problem with my 1995 P229 .40. G10 grips and GrayGuns trigger. Combo reduces distance from trigger finger pad to trigger face.

https://grayguns.com/product/p...ntermediate-trigger/

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Nipper

quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:

Solved that problem with my 1995 P229 .40. G10 grips and GrayGuns trigger. Combo reduces distance from trigger finger pad to trigger face.

https://grayguns.com/product/p...ntermediate-trigger/

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many rounds be fore a sig tune up?

Posts: 232 | Registered: April 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rjksx1:

IIRC, every 5k for 9mm's and 3k to 3500 rounds for .40s/.357s.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are a pussycat to shoot in 9mm. And not bad in 40. Will buy the next229R in 9mm that I see if it has the short extractor. And NO,I don't mean whatever they are calling the M11a1 or else.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rjksx1:

Parts replacement does not have to be done at the factory:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6801056451

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Do. Or do not. There is no think. Razz

Still my favorite SIG form factor in a handgun. Surprising to me that I actually own more P226-based guns because I strongly prefer the compact P228/229 pistol. While I've come to prefer the non-rail versions, I really don't see any serious downside with the railed guns. My P229R is positively the sweetest, smoothest shooting DA/SA SIG that I own.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
$600 brand new. Plus G10 grips, no ugly rail, SRT, night sites, and short extractor. At that price I wouldn't consider used.

Down side. Old mags and large SIG logo on slide, and God awful short reach trigger.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great price, but where did this thing come from? Curious as to how Talo got them in the first place to offer them at this price. Anybody know?

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
P229: My favorite handgun. Fired 148 rounds with one of mine today and was reminded why.

Changing the trigger in Classic line SIGs is very easy; find a regular one and do it.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
I have a German made P229 with .40 and .357 barrels. It has been to Gray Guns for their work, and shoots like the other pistols I sent to GGI. It is a 1994 model, AC serial number, and no rail.

However, the action does seem exceptionally smooth. Bruce mentioned that this was typically of the older German made pistols, and recommended that I not let it go. Perhaps the factory does some had fitting, but I am not sure of that.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Great price, but where did this thing come from? Curious as to how Talo got them in the first place to offer them at this price. Anybody know?

It is a close out model. Also is 9mm only. With a .40, you can shoot any of the three calibers with a barrel change.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks...

posted Hide Post
how is it as a primary carry?

Posts: 232 | Registered: April 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got mine in 357 sig approx 10 years ago. Just bought one in 9mm a few months ago. It is just slightly bigger than the G19. P229 Handles much better for me. It is a beautiful and reliable weapon for carry.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 373 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P229 9mm SAS is my go to carry gun. Just perfect in every way.

Posts: 179 | Registered: September 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
I've had 4 of the 229. I traded the Legion 40 and the SAS 40. I have '94 357 and 1996? 40. I also have a EFK 9mm conversion in the 96. I have stopped shooting 40 and my main carry is 357.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Sig P229 and a P228 a few years ago. I sold them cause I thought I might like something else better. That was a mistake. Picking this Sig P229 Talo tomorrow. https://www.tombstonetactical....ion-9mm-13rds-3-9in/

Fire fears me, Women love me!

Posts: 83 | Location: York, PA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post