SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta PX4 Storm 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta PX4 Storm 45 Login/Join 
Picture of dc54
posted
Anybody have experience with these? I have a wrist issue that I'm trying to postpone surgery as long as possible. I've discovered that I can shoot my 9mm PX4 without as much wrist pain as my other 9mm firearms. I like shooting 45, and was wondering if the PX4 45 helps with felt recoil as much or more than the 9? Getting old sucks, but I guess it beats the alternative! Any shooters out there with fused wrist that want to comment about how shooting is after the surgery, please chime in!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I have experience with wrist injuries and surgery and at least for my it didn't get better, for men even 9mm can be painful when I shoot for extended periods of time. My recommendation would be to stay 9mm, when it comes to handguns I only shoot .22LR and 9mm unfortunately.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one some years back. I don't recall it recoiling less than any other .45 I've had.

Do you reload? If I needed to shoot a low recoil .45 acp I would load target level loads with a 200 gr bullet and a light load of a fast powder. Maybe 3.5 to 4.0 gr of WST and shoot it in a steel 1911.

Cliff
FPD ret., USN ret., NRA Lifer

Posts: 45 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Good news is, if I can only shoot 22 and 9mm, I have a lot of guns to sell. Maybe I can retire earlier!

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Try 4.8 grains of WST under a berry's 185 plated HBRN.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go rent a Glock 21, gen 4. I shot one and was very impressed with how pleasant it was. I was honestly very surprised when I shot side by side with a stainless Springfield 1911.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I have 3 GLOCK 45s, 1911s, HKs and Sigs. I can tell the difference between a G17 and PX4 9mm in terms of pain. I’m hoping the 45 would be similar.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Go rent a Glock 21, gen 4. I shot one and was very impressed with how pleasant it was. I was honestly very surprised when I shot side by side with a stainless Springfield 1911.

I miss my G21 and my G30, I could shoot my G21 better than my SA TRP.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I shot a USP 45 recently and its recoil was substantially less than a steel 1911 and a P220 ST. Not a Px4 and its rotating barrel but I figured it might be helpful somewhat.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Maybe have a go at the Beretta/ Stoeger 9045. The frame material may add a few ounces. Probably cheaper too.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I picked up a used PX4 45 today. I’ll get to the range to try it out this weekend. I’ll keep the 45 round count dowm and hope it’s not too painful! Trying CBD for inflammation at the same time. We’ll see.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Maybe have a go at the Beretta/ Stoeger 9045. The frame material may add a few ounces. Probably cheaper too.

A good option.
My co-worker has a Stoeger Cougar in .40 that is like shooting a 22lr compared to my 357Sig P320.

Think he got it new for around $300.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
I picked up a used PX4 45 today. I’ll get to the range to try it out this weekend. I’ll keep the 45 round count dowm and hope it’s not too painful! Trying CBD for inflammation at the same time. We’ll see.

Nice choice. I’ve owned both the PX4 in 45acp and the Beretta 8045. Sold them several years ago the first time I decided to not shoot 45acp. Now deciding again for the third time! But that’s a different story.

Specially regarding recoil, that’s subjective so you’ll come to your own conclusions once you’ve spent some time with the pistol.

I would definitely purchase a “D” hammer spring as that will greatly improve the double action pull. Can be purchased directly from Beretta for @ $8.

I only experienced two minor issues with my PX4. One was trigger finger sting. I discovered a few others experienced the same thing. At the time there was no real solution. Now Beretta offers a full metal trigger that addresses this issue for people who experience trigger sting. Apparently sting is due to the polymer covered trigger flexing during operation. Not everyone has this problem so if you don’t experience it, not an issue for you.

The second minor issue for me was the grip got very slippery during extended use. Grip tape solved this issue for me.

You got a great pistol. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about it and hope recoil isn’t an issue for you!

Posts: 192 | Registered: June 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
I have one, because I am a Beretta fanboy. If you are wanting one for recoil reduction you are likely to be disappointed

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vero8,

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Davenator:
High round count PX4 .45 thread on another forum

That’s a great (long) read! Having access to a first hand user’s documented experience with that kind of round count is invaluable! Thanks for posting the link!

Posts: 192 | Registered: June 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Well, I made it to the range today. My first shot DA with the PX4 45 was dead center of the 10 ring at 10 yards. The remaining 8 shots took out the top of the inner ring. Great shooting gun, but the recoil was painful for me. I shot 2 magazines, then put it up and shot another 2 mags after my time with the nine. I really like the gun, but it looks like I'm relegated to 9mm for the majority of shooting. I'm changing out some springs, but unfortunately this gun will see very little use.