SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What's the forum consensus on the Ruger Mk IV?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the forum consensus on the Ruger Mk IV? Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Daughter has a birthday coming up and I think this might be an appropriate present to go along with her 10/22 I bought her for Christmas a couple of years ago.

What's the forum consensus on the new MK IV's? I know Mk II's are very highly thought of, Mk III's not so much. The other option is to go with a Browning Buckmark. I have one that she keeps, "borrowing".

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Got to handle one recently, it's on my short list.

Balances well and I like the new controls. Not hilariously exaggerated but much more user friendly than the controls on my MkII.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I played with a bronze Lite version the other day at the LGS, very nice fit and finish. Only reason it didn't come home with me was that it was hilariously overpriced (by about $100-120 from what I've seen online). Once someone has them in stock for a reasonable price I'll be picking one up.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on how it breaks down/goes back together.
I had a MK-I
1. Accurate...highly.
2. Easy to shoot...very.
3. Basic cleaning...no problem.
4. Through cleaning...a REAL pain in the butt to put back together.

I'm getting back into shooting after a long layoff. As I sold my Ruger MK-I many years back, I bought a Browing Buckmark for .22 shooting. The three first lines from above...the same, but the full cleaning...MUCH easier to reassemble.

Mike

Posts: 19 | Registered: January 07, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'll be getting one, once I can find a non-Tactical, non-Lite 22/45 Mk IV.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Their main selling feature is the ease of takedown and reassembly. What's wrong with the Mark III?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Their main selling feature is the ease of takedown and reassembly. What's wrong with the Mark III?

The lack of ease of takedown and reassembly. Big Grin

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

The lack of ease of takedown and reassembly. Big Grin

It also has a slide release, mag release and safety that are similar to a real 1911. So that is kind of nice for training purposes

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I have the the 2245 in bronze and I love it. Only downfall is the trigger and I plan getting a vq trigger and take the 5lb trigger down to a 2 1/2 lb trigger.

the thing begs to be suppressed. I plan on getting one of those down the road as well.

My 13 year old son liked shooting it because it is a lot lighter than my mk2 with the 10" bull barrel

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'll be getting one, once I can find a non-Tactical, non-Lite 22/45 Mk IV.

I got the Tactical, non-lite so I can suppress it later. Only 200 rounds down so far but I like it. As said above, the trigger isnt "great" but not bad either. A handful of fail-to-feeds that I'm going to attribute to break-in and/or ammo. Ironically, I have yet to take down and clean Wink

Posts: 143 | Registered: August 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I bought one a while back. My wife took it for herself, she really likes it.

We have had other Rugers MK II and III in the past - love the MK IV's take down and reassembly procedure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big plus for Mark IV 22/45 Lite with parts replacement. Then one gets rid of "magazine safety" and has a much better trigger with little pre-travel and over-travel. Many will find attaching a Halo to the back of the slide helps and does away with finger pinching.

. . . and after replacing parts, putting it back together is very easy!

At the moment, many Mark IV are in short supply and priced over a S&W Victory. One expects that to abate in time.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Sweet takedown. Meh triggers. The black MkIV Target is on my wantlist primarily because I've never owned any of the Ruger Standards in any of its generations. But frankly I don't see it besting my Victory, at least without a bit of help from the aftermarket.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Take a look at S&W's new Victory. Love mine. Eats anything I put through it. Easy take down with one screw.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
Sold my MkIII 22/45

Bought a MkIV 22/45, taking it to be integrally suppressed on Monday. I reckon that NFA wait time bubble is gonna pop soon.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Mark IV Hunter and a Buck Mark. Both are excellent guns. You cannot go wrong.

I would buy the Mark IV and then let her choose at the range!

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
I have one and really like it, fun to shoot. It runs Walmart white box with no issues, and very accurate.

God,Guns,Cars,& 1Wife, I would say I have it all.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got tired of the take down on my MK11 and got the Victory but will look at the MK IV

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MBOYD
posted Hide Post
I have had a chance to shoot one and handle it. Solid as all other Ruger 22's. Likes to be well oiled to function well when new. Ambi-safety is a huge improvement. Since the back of the barrel/breech face needs frequent cleaning when shooting lots of 22's the easier take down is a big plus. Well made. The one I have handled belongs to a member of our youth 22 steel team. He paid $480 for a "lite" 22/45 model, which seems a little high. It's #1 on my list for the next 22 pistol I buy (I currently shoot a custom Beretta mod 89, mainly due to the ambi-safety thing)

Also: the levers are a big improvement over past models.

-mb

Posts: 684 | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Slowly taking over the .22 shelf in my house:

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post