SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HKS VS Safariland speed loaders
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HKS VS Safariland speed loaders Login/Join 
posted
I am looking to get more speed loaders for my 60-15. I have just the one HKS that came with the gun. I don't like speed strips because of the time it takes to reload with them, so speed loaders it is. I've only seen the Safariland version on youtube videos, and have not tried them myself. I was wondering what to consensus on both of these two was? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 377 | Registered: November 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
I have both for my Ruger Security Six. The Safariland are faster on the insertion. The act of pushing them into the cylinder releases the cartridges. HKS are easier to preload the cartridges into. In the pocket, I feel like the HKS might be more slightly prone to accidental release.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Safariland is faster and smoother for a faster reload, if you get them also buy the loading block, it holds the bullets in position for easer loading of the speed loader.

Speed strips are handy when you want some additional consealability for those extra rounds you are carrying in your pocket.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a couple models of safariland ranging from carry to competition. You have to look at the different models.

I've used the HKS since around 1998, they hold rounds and as long as you control the cylinder the twist feed mechanism isn't an issue. They are also the most common speedloaders available. I don't recall seeing Safariland speedloaders in alot of shops. I've HKS in every shop that carries speedloaders. They have proven to be durable and survived drops on concrete indoor range floors.

I recently purchased some safariland Comp Is for a J frame S&W. It feels faster than then the HKS and it releases for me everytime. However, I haven't run them against a timer or in competition so I can't vouch for them.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safariland versions are better period. You don’t need a loading block or any such nonsense. I just rearranged my office and loaded up some Safariland and SpeedBeez speed loaders. I just put them in place and push against a vertical surface, in my case the edge of my desk. If you wanted to push down you only need a piece of stiff paper to hold them in place as you push and twist to lock.

I don’t care about speed loaders for comp, I tend towards moon clip guns for that. For a real use revolver I can’t imagine why anyone would want a speed loader that requires an extra step.

Buy Safariland.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Safariland versions are better period. You don’t need a loading block or any such nonsense. I just rearranged my office and loaded up some Safariland and SpeedBeez speed loaders. I just put them in place and push against a vertical surface, in my case the edge of my desk. If you wanted to push down you only need a piece of stiff paper to hold them in place as you push and twist to lock.

I don’t care about speed loaders for comp, I tend towards moon clip guns for that. For a real use revolver I can’t imagine why anyone would want a speed loader that requires an extra step.

Buy Safariland.

That about covers it!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a J frame, I prefer the Jetloader. (It is similar to Safariland.)

Posts: 79 | Location: Wooster, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:

Buy Safariland.

You don't need a desk or a piece of paper. All you need is your palm.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh, thanks. Sheesh. For those who are understanding impaired, the point was you don’t need a loading block. Load it against your forehead for all the fuck I care.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uh, thanks. Sheesh. For those who are understanding impaired, the point was you don’t need a loading block. Load it against your forehead for all the fuck I care.

Whatever.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safariland. I just use the palm of my hand to push into.

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed whatever.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
To be the contrarian, I HATE Safariland speed loaders. I won't second guess anyone who likes them, but for me they don't last as long as HKS, are fiddly to load, especially as they get older, and I find HKS easier to manipulate and load into the weapon. We originally only authorized Safariland for our secondary weapons, but after about 2 years of qual courses and complaints HKS was also approved.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Just so copaup doesn't feel lonely, I too prefer HKS loaders. Lower profile, less expensive & work for ever. I've never worn one out.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Zeta 6 loaders lately and really like them. Basically a cross between a speed strip and a speed loader.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
I have been using the Zeta 6 loaders lately and really like them. Basically a cross between a speed strip and a speed loader.

I like these, and the Zeta j clip for my J frames.

For speedloaders, I’ve found 5star loaders work the best for me and I can order them in different colors so i don’t mix them up with the wrong gun.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are some thin arguments. I believe lots of this comes about because in the revolver days HKS was THE ubiquitous speed loader. Period. So most older guys this is what they used and got used to.

The arguments, cheaper, well it’s like 10 bucks to 13 bucks apiece. It’s not cheaper by a bushel. Those those Cabelas and Midway prices. 9.99 vs 13.49. Sturdier. I’ve owned and used mine for well over a decade. The first ones I bought as a 20 something kid for my first gun a model 67. I still have them they work the same as when new. Fiddly to load. You guys really need to get out more for fucks sake if you have trouble loading any speed loader.

The biggest issue which objectively wins this discussion is that the HKS style forces you into the transfer the gun into your support hand to reload style. You absolutely have to control the cylinder from spinning to load. If the cylinder spins you can’t twist. Many shooters in modern times have altered the old police method of transfer and cradle cylinder to the gun stays in strong hand entire sequence. Offhand punches out shells and loads the next rounds. Try doing this with an HKS. If you have never tried this method you probably haven’t shot your gun hot either. Or you just enjoy pain.

Oh yea, don’t put a speed loader in your pocket with your keys and change either. Smdh.

Try them both. The timer won’t lie. If you use the old police method try the other style. It will feel odd at first but it is faster and you keep your bits away from the hot parts of the gun.

The technique also has the benefit of using the same gross skills that your moon clip gun uses. Most moon clip guys don’t swap hands, they just pop open cylinder, punch out empties, drop in fresh moon clip. With the Safariland version you basically do the exact same motion.

It certainly is personal preference but do it on a timer and tell me which is faster with less gun transferring. And for grins try a reload using HKS simulating one arm is injured and you have to reload with one hand. Neither is fun but one is much harder.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I use both Zeta J clips & K-paks for 38/357 frames. Hks for my larger caliber woods guns

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post