SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bought two Taurus revolvers...predictable results ensue.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought two Taurus revolvers...predictable results ensue. Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted
I’ll start by saying that I’m no Taurus hater, I have owned a couple revolvers previously that while unrefined, were reliable. But I also recognize that Taurus QC is a bit lower than many others.

I was in a LGS and saw a stainless 905 9mm snub nosed revolver on the shelf. I asked to see it and while it was marked new it looked used. They said that they have had that gun since the shop opened and a lot of people like to play with it but nobody buys it. I lowballed them on the price, we negotiated and I got what I thought was a good deal. While they wrote it up I saw a used Judge in the stainless public defender configuration for a fair price, so I had them add that to the ticket even though I have zero use for it.

Being new to FL and not having my carry permit yet I had to wait 3 days and just picked them up yesterday. The judge worked great, but the 905 did not. At least one round in every cylinder failed to fire even after multiple strikes.

I think the problem might be the very shitty moon clips Taurus sent with the gun. They are very cheap and weak metal. I have some TK customs on the way so I’ll find out soon if I’m right.

For their part the gun shop seemed willing to give me a refund on the gun since it was new but I told them not to worry about it. I knew what I was getting into buying a Taurus and I’ll deal with the consequences of my actions. If I gotta send it in I’ll send it in.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any problems with Taurus revolvers.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
To me, buying a Taurus automatically assumes you must send the gun in for "post-sale adjustments". You assume this is the trade-off for the lower price point. If it turns out not to be necessary, so much the better.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Tauri; the 650-a 5 shot 45 Colt for which I use a Charter Arms 44 Special holster and modified 3 speed loaders from 44 special by making the holes bigger, works fine. It is reliable and very accurate, putting everything (as long as it is a Federal 225 GR HP) into an inch at 20 meters from a rest. The other is a 5 shot .380 built on their smallest fame, uses moon clips, kind of like it. Never fired it at more than 20 feet as it obviously for close in type of things. Accurate at that range and will shoot any .380 ammo on the market, I use Hornady Critical Defense 90 grain HP.
Both guns are substantially built, not as smooth as a S&W or Colt, but the 650 has really smoothed out and the .380 is as good an anything else in that size range-probably because any other revolver in that size range is a .22 LR and requires a heavy spring to ignite the rimfire rounds.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Taurus 9mm revolver. It likes "soft" primers, not the hard ones some manufacturers use. It should fire without the clips as well, so try it without before shipping it.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Taurus 5 shot 38 spcl revolver, never had an issue with it.

When you say you think it’s the moon clips, what do you mean? The clip is to headspace off of as the 9mm cartridge has no rim and to aid in extraction. Is the moon clip bent? If so lay it on a vise and flatten it out with a hammer

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I think if I hit these with a hammer they would explode. I’m being 100% serious. I read some comments about the gun online after I bought it and every comment I read mentioned the moon clips being terrible. But I was still not prepared for just how shitty they are. Granted I don’t have much experience with moon clips but these are paper thin.

I could be wrong and they might have nothing to do with it. But before I try anything else I’ll try the TK customs moon clips.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Taurus 85 UL and it goes bang every time. It seems that their revolvers are hit and miss,you either get a good one or you don't. I will say their G2C 9mm pistol is a great performer. It takes a little getting used to the trigger but for $200.00 or less, I can't complain.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I could never understand buying a cheap gun that just might be good enough to save your life. Or not. I've never owned a Tauri and never will, Based on my above argument.

I had kind of a friend long ago. Another buddy and I went shooting about once a week. To do that I had to reload to afford it. Better still, I could shoot enough that I liked it. So this other "friend" kept nagging us to let him go along. So one time we agreed.

He went to a discount house near where he lived and picked up a box of the cheapest 38s they carried. Not usually a problem. So we get to the "range" we used and his Tauri refused to fire very regularly. Note that the buddy and my S&W went off every darn time, using my reloads. So he needed more ammo and I generously offered him some of my finest. They also refused to function in his cheap ass gun. So in a fit, he threw away my reloads and the empty brass of mine and his. Then he left, refusing to consider the gun as the problem.

My buddy walked over to the garbage can and fished out the ammo. Every one of the off brand rounds fired, as did my reloads. No shock there. We probably fired 200 or so reloads and they functioned and were as accurate as ever.

The guy with the Tauri then bad mouthed my lousy reloads for a while. That was just how he was, nothing was ever his fault, always put it off on someone else. At least in this instance, it was clearly the gun that was junk. Sure, it might have been repairable. If you've got the time and patience to get it fixed. I don't.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
To me, buying a Taurus automatically assumes you must send the gun in for "post-sale adjustments". You assume this is the trade-off for the lower price point. If it turns out not to be necessary, so much the better.

That’s been my experience also. Taurus was one and done for me. That was over 20 years ago.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I could never understand buying a cheap gun that just might be good enough to save your life. Or not.

I agree. I didn’t buy either of these with the intention of using them to save my life. These are range toys.

posted Hide Post
Interesting perspective. Buying a "quality" gun does not ensure it will work, it merely increases the odds it will. Folks on this forum should know this, as Sig owners have also had quite a few problems. When you buy a gun, make sure it works reliably before "trusting your life" to it. (I hate that phrase...I trust my life to my brain, my gun is just a tool.) That rule applies from the most expensive Korth revolver right down to pot metal Ring of Fire guns.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I had a buddy, since passed, who brought 2 Taurus revolvers ... a .44 Mag Raging Bull and a Judge.

The first time out with the guns I watched both barrels flying down range. Somewhere I have a photo of the Raging Bull with its 2 piece barrel assembly and his face all cut up from the lead shavings that spit back at him.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own three(3) Taurus revolvers, all big bores, and have owned them for years. I don't know how many Ks of rounds that I have put through these revolvers, but I can promise you, NONE are for sale!!

All are snubbys (1) Ti in 45LC, (1) in Alum. frame in 45LC, and (1) in blued steel in 44 Special. I have carried them all from time to time. They just work, and I shoot them well....win-win!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned two Taurus revolvers, and one semi.
The semi was a PT-99 (think Beretta 92 with adjustable rear sight) and would only fire ball ammo with 100% reliability. Also, the rear sight had a tendency to fall apart under recoil.

The revolvers were the original model 85, which went bang each and every time (went with the ex girlfriend back in 1992) and a model 96 .22, which has also been a very pleasant experience. The 96 is the only Taurus I’ll own, barring a super deal on something I can test fire copiously.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Taurus is one of the few brands I warn people to stay away from. I've handled them and shot them. I never liked them and never will. If you want a cheap handgun, buy a Ruger.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In 1995 I bought a PT945, a semi-compact 8-round-magazine .45. It was such a steaming turd that to this day, when I pass a gun show table or store display, I look right past all the Taurus guns. Words can't describe what a POS it was. Yes, I do realize it was a long time ago, and some of their guns (older revolvers and the Beretta semi-clone PT92) have decent reputations. That still hasn't changed my mind.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
I have been a firearms instructor for a long time, and the only single brand of gun that has consistently failed in my classes are made by Taurus, revolvers and bottom feeders alike. I won't touch anything they make.

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Try tightening the ejector rod or at least check to see if it is loose.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4191 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned two Taurus revolvers, both have been flawless. One was a 22 I sold a few years ago, the 38 has 3600+ rounds. Zero issues with either one.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post