SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Tungsten Guide Rod
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Tungsten Guide Rod Login/Join 
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted
So I got a hold of a rod of tungsten at work and thought I'd try making a guide rod for my P320-RX. It turned out pretty good. Our prototype shop is pretty light on lathe tooling and the tungsten was a pain in the to machine. There are a few chatter marks but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Nice. How does it shoot? Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Testing it out after work tonight, I'll let ya know.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any idea on how much the rod weighs compared to a stock one?

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
Any idea on how much the rod weighs compared to a stock one?

It weighs a little over 3 ounces, I'm not sure what the stock one weighs.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
quote:

Any plans on selling these in the future?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
quote:

Any plans on selling these in the future?

I'd like to see how this one holds up first. I may be able to do a small run if there is enough interest. The bar stock is $120 a foot so these things are not going to be cheap.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A WC bit in the lathe?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
A WC bit in the lathe?

We have mostly cemented carbide lathes tooling and most of it has been reground by the machinists. Tungsten is gummy and kinda like a cross between cast iron and stainless IMO. Really sharp carbide seems to work the best. We have a new CNC lathe with a bunch of tooling, I just have to sweet talk our guy into programming and setting this up for me. Since I hired him it probably won't take more than a 6-pack.

posted Hide Post
I have the Springer Precision and the Grayguns versions.

The Springer Precision rod comes in at 1.30 ounces.

The Grayguns rod comes in at 1.50 ounces.

I would have never guessed tungsten would be that much heavier. Now the only question is; can a guy feel that difference or will it make much of a difference.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do we change the stock one anyway?

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
posted Hide Post
The tungsten rod is easily twice as heavy as the Springer Precision rod. The extra mass should help with muzzle climb during recoil, I'm still new to this but I could tell the stainless rod made a small difference.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 454gun:
Why do we change the stock one anyway?

Because we can. Razz

In all seriousness by going to a full length guide rod you can utilize a 1911 recoil spring tailor the weight of the spring to the load you are running in the gun.

The stock spring configuration is really over sprung and getting replacement springs or even that complete system is nearly impossible at this time.

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I bought a tungsten guide rod for my P229/9 here in the classifieds years ago. I like it, helps keep the muzzle down. Don't recall what I paid. Let us know how you like yours.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
I have the Springer Precision and the Grayguns versions.

The Springer Precision rod comes in at 1.30 ounces.

The Grayguns rod comes in at 1.50 ounces.

I would have never guessed tungsten would be that much heavier. Now the only question is; can a guy feel that difference or will it make much of a difference.

Yes, it will make that much of a difference. If is fine for general use, or even USPA, but if you compete in IDPA, tungsten guide rods are a no-no.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post