SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    my KD 228 is turning plum
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my KD 228 is turning plum Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I vaguely recall an issue with CPOs having a similar issue several years ago. I can't be sure, but it may have had to do with the way the slide was held in the coating process.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I vaguely recall an issue with CPOs having a similar issue several years ago. I can't be sure, but it may have had to do with the way the slide was held in the coating process.

The "rainbow" mark left by the clamp on the underside of the stainless steel slides is a completely separate issue from some of the older slides turning plum. It was seen on all the P226 of the time, not just the CPOs.

Considering that the rainbow clamp mark was only visible when the slide was removed from the gun I believe the issue was overblown.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by 4521pop:
Talk about cognitive dissonance.

If this discoloration were to happen on a new American made Sig,would everyone be this accepting?

Silly question. Discoloration because of a natural process in un-blamable. But, if a discoloration is due to poor quality control, then it's not acceptable, whether it's German or US made.

You are aware that it's a common observation since 1974. You are basically questioning the J.P.Sauer manufacturing quality assurance concept of the last 44 years and know obviously more about it then any agency on this planet that purchased SIGSauer pistol in that time.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the best explanation I've ever found when I was looking into P7s (I copy/pasted several posts from user "lowegan" from THIS thread on the Ruger forums):

jmichael1982, Plum color on Rugerframes, loading gates and cylindersis quite common with older guns. It's actually a defect but many people ... especially collectors go nuts over defective bluing jobs.
Here's the skinny ... bluing salts are added to pure water to form a "super saturated solution". When mixed to the proper proportions, it goes to a low boil at 292 deg F, which is the ideal temperature for hot bluing tanks. Water boils at 212 deg F so you have to keep adding water or the solution will get too strong. If the solution is not carefully controlled where either the temperature gets too high or too much water boils off, the gun will come out of the tanks with a plum color.
Further, Ruger uses molybdenum in their frames, cylinders, and loading gate alloys. This strengthens the metal but has a nasty side affect ... in time, a nice bluing job will turn plum colored. Some times it takes several years for the plum color to show up ... sometimes it never does show up.
So ... a combination of the two above conditions ... older RugerSAs could come right out of the box with a plum color or may turn plum in a few years .... either way, it's a defect in the bluing process that can be avoided. Ruger now uses an additive in their bluing tanks that prevent plum coloring. Brownell's sells it as "S" additive. BTW, you rarely see plum barrels because they are a different steel alloy.

Quiet 1, Thanks, I'll try to live up to "wisdom".
FYI, In my shop, I had a good set of Brownell's bluing tanks and using Brownell's Oxinate 7 salts (the industry standard), I learned many things the hard way. For example ... if you blued a Winchester Mod 94 frame without the "S" additive, it will come out of the tanks about as red as a stop sign. With the "S" additive, they turn out nice and blue (actually black). Any other gun with a cast frame, such as a break barrelshotgun, will do the same thing.
My first 357 Mag Ruger Blackhawkwas a 1976 vintage Liberty model. A few years after I bought it, the frameand loading gate started turning plum. I carried this gun many times in a holster when I hunted or just went for a horse ride in the Colorado Rockies. After a few years, much of the bluing wore off and there was even more plumb color on the frameand loading gate. I decided to reblue it. A few years after rebluing it, the frame started turning plum again only this time it also had defined plum streaks, which is also common with the factory bluing. I gave it an acid bath to remove all the bluing ... plum color and all. This time I used the "S" additive and it turned out great. From that point on ... all the Rugers got blued using the "S" additive and I never had one turn plum. I still own the Liberty BH ... it's been over 30 years since I reblued it and it's still blacker than a sinister's heart.

No, I don't think it makes any difference. As explained to me by a metallurgest, once a gun has been blued, the surface of the metal(about .0001" deep) will continue its ionization process for many years. With most guns, this means the surface finish will look better with age, assuming the bluing has not worn off. With some Rugers, it means molybdenum will continue to react and turn plum. Those gunsshipped plum collored due to poor bluing tank control seem to get more and more plum colored as they age.
Ale-8(1), Back in the 70's, people would get rid of plum colored Rugers and they were hard to sell so many of them were reblued. Not to worry ... I still have several OMs and a couple NMs with some plum color. Personally I don't care for plum but because they now are considered more valuable ... I won't mollest them. I do think it is very strange when people are willing to pay extra for a defect.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
thanks for this feedback. it makes more sense then just a random opinion about "QC".

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by 4521pop:
Talk about cognitive dissonance.

If this discoloration were to happen on a new American made Sig,would everyone be this accepting?

Silly question. Discoloration because of a natural process in un-blamable. But, if a discoloration is due to poor quality control, then it's not acceptable, whether it's German or US made.

You are aware that it's a common observation since 1974. You are basically questioning the J.P.Sauer manufacturing quality assurance concept of the last 44 years and know obviously more about it then any agency on this planet that purchased SIGSauer pistol in that time.

If you're addressing me, then you totally did not get my point. RHINO above got it.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post