SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    my KD 228 is turning plum
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my KD 228 is turning plum Login/Join 
Let's be careful
out there
posted
My West German, three number 228 is turning plum colored at the front of the slide. I have seen this in HK squeeze cockers but never before in a Sig. Reassure me that this is okay. I especially want to hear from our 228 expert, 12131.
SN is B202731, Thanks, John.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little unusual if it's the slide, but controls turning plum certainly isn't rare.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The slide on my KD P220 turned plum shortly after I got it, the whole damn slide. Very normal, very ok.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My p220s and p226s dated KC and before have the same plum color on the hammer and the part of the slide where the Kx or Jx date resides. It is a really nice patina not to be complained of.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Agreed. Nothing says "golden era of European pistols" in quite the same way.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
The plum coloring has been discussed before, but I haven't seen any recent discussion of it.

In my experience with the classic SIG stamped folded carbon steel guns the hammer tends to turn plum first. None of mine have the plum anywhere on the slide (as of now) but I have seen some that do.

Correction. In taking my own advice, I just checked and found that, while viewed in natural lighting I can detect a subtle plum color in one of my slides.

In cases of subtle plum coloration the lighting the gun is viewed in can affect whether the color is detected. Sunlight or camera flash seems to show it moreso than
indirect or artificial lighting.

Nothing to be concerned about. Some of us go grey when we age...some of our classic guns go plum.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The front of my hk usp slide is plumb collored 1995 date code.

Posts: 435 | Location: rocky river ohio | Registered: February 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
In my expert opinion, it's rust. I'll be glad to take it off your hand, free of charge.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
My 91 P228 has little or no bluing left, it's mostly shiny metal. But it was a purplish color in 96. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
But, seriously, as everyone else has said, it's normal. Smile

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.
12131, you don't have anyplace to store another 228.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
It just means your P228 has reached its prime ripeness. Big Grin

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
In some collector circles of some brands, plumb is actually a desired thing. Also sort of proves the finish is original.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And it also means you own one of the good ones. Mine from that generation had done everything from just the controls to pretty much the whole gun.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
It’s normal. The P228 slide is a two piece construction with a folded rear and a milled muzzle section welded to each other. A discoloration to plumish shade happens when the two parts have different, not exactly the same technological specs, from the welding process or later tempering. This is something that can be observed on all SIGSauer pistols with cold drawn slides and nothing to worry about.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Nothing at all wrong with Plum...

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talk about cognitive dissonance.

If this discoloration were to happen on a new American made Sig,would everyone be this accepting?

Proud American Made Sig Sauer Owner

Posts: 24 | Registered: February 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4521pop:

If this discoloration were to happen on a new American made Sig,would everyone be this accepting?

Silly question. Discoloration because of a natural process in un-blamable. But, if a discoloration is due to poor quality control, then it's not acceptable, whether it's German or US made.

Q

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by 4521pop:

Silly question. Discoloration because of a natural process in un-blamable. But, if a discoloration is due to poor quality control, then it's not acceptable, whether it's German or US made.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post