Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GP100 22lr Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted
The wait was long but I finally checked this box today. Heavy double action but S.A. is very nice. Ruger makes some nice revolvers imo.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Nice. It is on my wish list too.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted a S&W 617.
How does the Ruger compare to the Smith?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
No comparison.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by black1970:
No comparison.

Which way? Care to elaborate? Wink

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by black1970:
No comparison.

Which way? Care to elaborate? Wink

And how do you know? Have you actually shot both?

I had a 617 and the trigger was garbage and when I changed the springs to lighten it up it became unreliable. I still enjoyed it but I got the chance to trade for an old model Ruger SP101 .22 and while the trigger isn't as nice as the 617 post spring change it is better than the stock 617 and fires every time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
The Ruger can be dry-fired, it has a crowned/recessed muzzle, does not have a full lug like the Smith (balance/personal preference), does not have a lock, value, and customer service are a few reasons why I chose the Ruger. I'm sure the 617 is also great.

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Is Ruger back to using the 'old style' rubber grip on the GP100, or did you add it yourself?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Ruger. Not my cup of tea but I get the appeal.

Between the S&W and Ruger, this is how I fall:

Trigger: the factory triggers that we've been seeing...617 has the edge. Neither is anything to write home about, but Ruger DA rimfire revolver triggers are generally weighted too damn heavy, and the 22LR GPs that I've ordered on occasion in are no exception. Just for 22LRs that we bring in, I keep an ample supply of #4-6x7/8 wall anchors around our gun office. Purely for educational and fact-gathering purposes, of course... Wink

Aesthetics and ergonomics: A take on a classic K-frame profile versus a former Ruger heavyweight that looks like it's going through a bout of bulimia? Are you kidding me? S&W, by a large margin.

Live fire: the only experience I have with the S&W was with a trigger-modified pre-lock that a former coworker owns. After shooting that sweetheart, all I can say is that I WANT THAT GUN! I've shot the 22LR GP on at least two occasions; the first time left me wanting more out of it. The second time I only confirmed what I felt about the gun after the first time. There was a third time, but that was only to settle a friendly bet. I lost, that I do recall.

Cost/value: To me, the specialness of the S&W is enough to be worth the extra cost, even with the stupid lock. But this one's a pick 'em or even slanted towards the Ruger for just about anyone else.

My buddy's 617 is a HARD ONE to get out of my mind. I know I can get him to tune one for me to the same intoxicating standard his example sets. However these days a 22LR DA revolver is kinda low on my priority list. But a 617, especially a nice pre-lock, would be where I'm at if I have to choose.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That would be splendid rat blasting!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Very nice! Is Ruger back to using the 'old style' rubber grip on the GP100, or did you add it yourself?

The 01766 comes with those grips standard.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
You can lighten up the double action pull by replacing the trigger rebound spring with a reduced weight spring. Then leave the gun cocked in the safe for a week or so. The springs take a set and the trigger pull smooths out quite a bit after that.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
I got my Gp 100 .22 last summer. It balances well and I like it overall, but it has to go back to Ruger--it misfires on 3-4 out of the 10 shots on all types of ammo.

I am a little upset with Ruger, this is my second GP100 and the second one that misfires! Mad

SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1645 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've got both the 617 and the GP100-22.

Have used the 617 4" in speed steel for several years on a regular basis. Had it slicked up a bit. Any one can make a Smith SA work very nice, the trick is getting the DA to function as you'd like for competition.

The GP100 was a little stiff at first. What I reallyREALLY like was the spiffy way in my hand how the DA was stiff enough PREDICTABLY to index before SA let off. Actually shot my best match time in a decade with this revolver.

Granted there's some difference between 4"/5.5" barrel handling. The lock work feel is different enough that I've come to actually prefer the fast fire on steel targets with the GP100.

My GP did go back for issue with the cylinder becoming so stiff in turning I couldn't advance it with the trigger. They fixed & returned it in 6 days. Down side was after another 1000 rounds same complaint. I took it to local 'smith who fixed it. Only 500 rounds since then and still so far so good.

For such as speed steel or ICORE that allows 22, either of these is a great choice.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a 317 and an SP101. Smith trigger was better out of box. The SP101 out of box was friggin insanely heavy. It also suffered from very bad cylinder drag. I don’t know if that’s the right term but it clearly rotated freely as it should and then dragged on a couple cylinders. Went back to Ruger immediately. They fixed it and no more drag. Still heavy as shit though. My wife and son couldn’t even really thumb cock it is was so bad. I could but it was tough. Instant turnoff. I bought a Wolff trigger pack of springs and played around a bit to find the combo that worked. Now it is a favorite of mine.

The factory springing is ridiculous. I get reliable ignition but my gun and others I have handled was way off scale in terms of useability. Luckily a simple cheap solution is available. You shouldn’t have to though considering the not insignificant price tag on these things.

I looked at the GP 22 version. Personally too big and heavy for 2 more rounds. I think the SP101 is perfect. Bonus it fits my 4 inch K frame holsters and my speed loaders for the 317 work perfectly with the Ruger.

Of course I just bought a 5.5 inch 8 shot Ruger Redhawk so it kind of hypocritical of me to talk about a gun being too big and heavy for its purpose. Lol

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post