SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up a P320 V-tac, review
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a P320 V-tac, review Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Although not entirely sight unseen, I decided to go with the P320 V-tac I've been eyeing up for months now. Handled one in the store, but not had any opportunity to shoot a gun with the X frame.

Initial impressions:

The FDE finish is quite nice; even, no blemishes, etc. The V-tac engraving is visible, but not egregious, IMO. I generally don't care one way or the other for such markings, but they're not too obtrusive. All the extra machining is neatly executed on the exterior of the slide and there are no tool marks on the interior.

I don't have any of the issues with an immoveable takedown lever like others have reported with some newer 320 models. The takedown lever is definitely harder to rotate than on my ~3.5 year old 320 carry, but it's not too much of a pain. Upon reassembling the slide and frame, you really do need to reset the takedown lever hard, because I managed to reset the takedown lever and get a dead trigger. Slide was clearly locked onto the gun, but the trigger wasn't setting. Giving the lever a firm upward rotation set it right, though. I'm assuming this has something to do with the "upgraded" trigger, since my un-upgraded 320 does nothing of the sort.

Gun was definitely test fired and there's a nice bit of lube on the barrel, but the slide rails are bone dry, as are the rails on the FCU.

Straight out of the box, the trigger is definitely inferior to my un-upgraded 320. The take-up feels sloppier. I don't think it's any longer than my other 320, but it is more or less just dead space, without any weight behind it. This could be a product of the flat trigger face. Break is pretty positive, but there is a sort of "click" before you hit the wall. Not a click per se, but a slight hitch. No real complaint there, just an observation. Reset is also not as nice as my un-upgraded 320; it's less crisp.

I'm well aware that this is just a regular 320 trigger with a flat face, but it is definitely not as great out of the box as the original 320. It's not bad, but it's less good. The thing that gets me the most is the undefinable change in the feel. After a few thousand through an original 320, it is different and springier, for lack of a better term. It feels more toy-like, in a way. This is only the 2nd "upgraded" 320 trigger I've felt and both have that strange difference from what I consider to be an excellent out of the box trigger, so it's not the V-tac, it's the new 320 trigger setup.

I'll shoot the hell out of it and see how it develops, but it definitely leaves me longing for the olden days.

Mag ejection is absurdly positive, more so than my other 320. Damn things fly out of the gun. The internal magwell is quite nice, based on the dry loads I've done.

I'm not sure how I feel about the X frame yet. I love the standard 320 grip, so the X frames boxiness is a bit different. I appreciate the beavertail and the undercut trigger guard, but we'll see how it handles on the range. My one true gripe is the off-hand side of the mag release. Jeebus, does that thing have to protrude any farther out the starboard side of the gun when you hit the release? I've never encountered a gun where hitting the mag release makes part of the button pop out the other side as obviously as this frame. I mean it actually hits my middle finger at the second knuckle. Probably not an issue, but it's annoying.

I'm ambivalent on the sights, at this point. I suspect I will swap them out for Trijicon HDs, but I'll give it a 1000 rounds probably before making that decision. I appreciate the concept behind the V-tac sights, but they are quite busy with all those damn dots. My main concern is the sight picture when using the night sights. You really have to cover up A LOT of the target to use the tritium vials at the bottom of the sights. Also, in the sort of lighting where the fiber optics are working a bit and the tritium is glowing, they get really confusing. In bright daylight, I'm sure it's all good, and in the dark, it's also good, but looking at them under indoor lighting, it's way too easy to see both sets of sights. I'd much prefer it if the vials were say, 3/4ths the size they are now. I do like that the fiberoptic element is not exposed on the front of the sights. Racking the slide off the sights, for instance, won't mar the rod, unlike some sights out there.

Again, not sure how they work under live fire, so I'll give them a shot.

Overall, I got the gun for what it is. I wanted a full-sized gun for HD, etc. and am tired of trying to make a Glock work. The V-tac has a bunch of features that interest me, but I know it's not some super custom piece.

Will try to get to the range tomorrow to put a few rounds through it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oat_Action_Man,

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
My only true gripe with my VTAC was the sights. At a 25 yard distance, the lower sights were on target, but the upper were 6 inches low. I didn't want to have to adjust which sights to use at different distances so I switched them out to Ameriglo I Dot pros and have been happy afterwards. I also put in a Grayguns trigger and Apex trigger bar. Not needed, but nice. You'll enjoy the gun and it's the only FDE I really like.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I also had an issue with the sights, but have kept them so far.

Looking at the sight picture it seems when you line up the bottom sights and when you line up the top sights, the POA is different which doesn't make sense.

If you have the right sight picture they should each give you the same POA and POI.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back from the range and 150 rounds of 115 gr Blazer Brass.

I'm not in love with the gun.

No malfunctions with the 3 supplied 17 rounders and I didn't have a problem with it shooting outrageously low. Yeah, it shot lower than POA, but maybe an inch or so. It did shoot nicely dead center for me, windage-wise, and I had no problems with low/left shooting like I often do with other striker fired guns. I did all of my shooting between 5 and 7 yards today and everything, slow and rapid fire, was in a palm sized group or smaller, including 30 rounds of strong hand only and 20 rounds of weak hand only. At the beginning of the session I was able to get a quarter sized group with no difficulty at all during slow fire.

Although I'll eventually try it from a bench at longer ranges, it seems to be pretty darn accurate.

Two major cons:

- Ejection. Literally straight back and weak as hell. It's like I'm shooting a gen 4 Glock or something. Nearly every single round of the 150 either hit me on the head or the chest. None in the face, thankfully, but far less than ideal ejection pattern. With the same ammo, my older 320 tosses them perfectly to 4 o'clock about 6 or 7 feet. Not sure what the cause of this is, but it is less than ideal. Again, the gun works (just like a Glock does), but I don't want my ejection on my head.

- Reset. Far inferior to my un-upgraded 320, which I consider nigh perfect in this regard, or a Glock. I suppose this is a byproduct of the "upgrade", but I do not like it. Reset is not at all positive and it totally stands out in slow fire. Let the trigger out and it feels like it should have reset, but it hasn't, so you have to let it out considerably farther. It wasn't that big an issue during rapid fire, but when I was taking my time, it was maddening because I kept thinking it should have reset by now, but it hadn't.

Although they are functional, I am just not a fan of the V-tac sights. I'll leave them on there for a while, but they're going to get changed out for Trijicon HDs eventually. Sight picture is just too cluttered, again, especially apparent in slow fire. During rapid fire, it was pretty easy to key in on the fiber optics and get fast hits, so double edged sword I guess.

Things I'm on the fence about:

- The X grip frame. The standard 320 small grip module is, for me, utterly perfect, and no gun feels as good in my hand as that. I'd be interested in trying the X grip if they ever come out with a small module, but currently it's just not as perfect as a standard 320 grip. This isn't a complaint, and I suppose I'm picking nits, but the standard 320 grip is so good, I'm just disappointed with the X grip because I like the added features of beavertail, undercut and mag well.

I'm planning on getting a full-size grip module and trying that out on the V-tact and see if I can get the best of both worlds.

Recoil impulse is different. Not a complaint, but it's different, especially after thousands of rounds through a standard 320 carry. It is much softer shooting and I think the slide velocity is way lower than the 320 carry, but the 320 carry snaps immediately back on target for me. This could also be the grip.

Anyway, not entirely sold on the gun yet and I'll shoot way more through it before making a final verdict. Some of my "not perfects" can be remedied easily, but the ejection and the reset are just less than idea.

Grade: B/B+

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report! I love the way the gun looks but have no real need for it, I do love the 320x5 but wish they made a larger grip and or had replaceable backstraps. With grip tape the grip is good, but would like a bigger one. Maybe after some more rounds your ejection will get better? Hope you get it worked out and come to love the gun!

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I love my V-TAC and after a few range trips I was able to figure out the sight picture.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a VTAC as well on a trade. It was exceptionally accurate to its credit. I still prefer the standard medium grip module to the X-Carry. The X-Carry is kinda square like a Glock which feels like holding a 2X4. I also shot low with the VTAC sights. I called Sig CS who advised those sights are proprietary to that slide. I went ahead and put on my standard Ameriglo #8 front and rear. With those sights, I was dead on POA/POI. I think it’s a fine pistol, but my standard full size P320 with a GrayGuns flat trigger has same accuracy and feels better in my hand and less expensive.

Posts: 172 | Registered: January 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I would buy a VTAC, but I don't care for the lightening cuts on the slide or the busy looking sights.

I just put an X Carry grip module and a SIG flat trigger on my full size P320 and called it good. If it had the top slide milling and the FDE PVD slide finish of the VTAC, I would be ecstatic.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just at my favorite store/range today getting alittle practice in for our IPDA match tomorrow.

They have one in their rental case. I think it is a very cool pitola looks wise. I will give it a go in the next few weeks.

Thanks for your review.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I like the look and think it is a decent gun, just not for the price IMO.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It'll be interesting to see what happens if you try other brands or maybe a slightly heavier bullet. A slightly hotter 124 grain load might lead to slightly more energetic ejection and a slightly higher point of impact.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll run some 124gr Gold Dots through it and some 127 gr +P+ Ranger at the very least, but I'll probably pick up a smorgasbord of loads from the store and see what's up.

I've also got a standard full size grip coming to see how that works out.