SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 grip question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 grip question Login/Join 
posted
80% of the pictures I see on the innernet , of the 1911 , have three similar corners on the panels ,
but the fourth corner has a partial semi circle, around some sort of nubbie pin thing , on the bottom rear corner.

Why is it essential that the shiny nubbie pin thing be visible?

whats it have to do with a sheeps ears in winter?

why not just cover it up?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Winner
posted Hide Post
Because then I'd have to remove the grip panels, before I could remove the pin that holds the main spring housing in place?

Posts: 132 | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how many times in ten years does when do that?

are grip screws problematic? on 1911's

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Winner
posted Hide Post
It's one of the first steps in disassembling the frame. For me, a few times a year on some of my 1911s. On others, I haven't done it more than a few times in 10 years.

The grip screw bushings can cause issues if they are not staked (or locktited) properly.

If you don't like it, go with the "magwell cut" grips.

posted Hide Post
It follows the original 1911 Mil-Spec design. It was developed by J.M. Browning as a military handgun. If the gun has to be detail stripped in the field, you don't need a damned screwdriver to remove the grips first. Everything in an original Mil-Spec 1911 can be detail stripped without tools. Except the grip screws.

If the cutout is aggravating, there are grip manufacturers that provide grips without the cutout. Don't ask me who they are though. Since my first 1911 in 1972, it's never bothered me.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I can't stand that either. The magwell grips don't have the notch on them and I usually look for those first.

Quality grips will have the recess in the notch to cover the pin and look like they are supposed to.

To me, the notch in the grip looks like cheap second rate grips.

Kinda like the rear wheel wells on trucks that are body color instead of black.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't own a 1911, but will go to you tube and see about cleaning one, now

posted Hide Post
I have to Loctite down the grips on a couple of my Colts (LW Commander, Defender), and it would be an ass pain to have to take them off every time I want to do a detail strip and cleaning.
I doubt the cutout bothers 99.99 percent of 1911 shooters.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I don't own a 1911,

Well, there is your problem!!!

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:
I don't own a 1911,

They are hard to pass up, but somehow none of mine are a .45 either.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
It follows the original 1911 Mil-Spec design. It was developed by J.M. Browning as a military handgun. If the gun has to be detail stripped in the field, you don't need a damned screwdriver to remove the grips first. Everything in an original Mil-Spec 1911 can be detail stripped without tools. Except the grip screws.

Correction. The original 1911 grip screws were intended to be removed with a .45Auto casing. No tools needed.

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't own a 1911, but will go to you tube and see about cleaning one, now

Warning: 1911s are like honey roasted peanuts, take it from a man who has nine.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bendable:
I don't own a 1911,

"They are hard to pass up, but somehow none of mine are a .45 either".

Blasphemer.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crash:
quote:

Correction. The original 1911 grip screws were intended to be removed with a .45Auto casing. No tools needed.

I thought it was the front of the magazine base?

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Winner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quality grips will have the recess in the notch to cover the pin and look like they are supposed to.

Well, damn! I guess I don't have "quality grips" on any of my 1911s. Now I'm embarrassed, that I don't have a single 1911 that looks like it is "supposed to". I should probably scratch an heirloom precision piece off my wishlist, because they don't use quality grips, nor look like they're supposed to...

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I don't own a 1911, I am a servant to several!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bendable:
I don't own a 1911,

"They are hard to pass up, but somehow none of mine are a .45 either".

Blasphemer.

Yeah, I know. I need to do something about this. I found a few in 10mm, .38 Super, and one in .17mach2, but no 45s as of yet. Heck, I just recently bought a 9mm conversion barrel to finally have a Glock in 9mm (I don't have a Glock in .45 either).

quote:
Originally posted by jlb226:
quote:

Well, damn! I guess I don't have "quality grips" on any of my 1911s. Now I'm embarrassed, that I don't have a single 1911 that looks like it is "supposed to". I should probably scratch an heirloom precision piece off my wishlist, because they don't use quality grips, nor look like they're supposed to...

Okay dude. Take your meds...

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks...I stand corrected. Red Face

However, I can't imagine using the casing to remove a tight grip screw. No leverage. Just curious, were original MilSpec screws made with a concave slot? If not, it's even more problematic since the round case wouldn't allow for full slot width/depth contact.

I have a properly fitting bit in my Brownell's set I use for grip screws. Takes considerable effort to break screw loose after snugged down. No...I don't over tighten. Have a grip screw bushing wrench I use to snug down the bushings. Then you can snug down the screws without worrying about the bushing backing out of the frame.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the first 7 videos that I watched made no mention of removing either the grip panels or the llittle pin thing.

( there goes 90 minutes Roll Eyes

Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
quote:

I thought it was the front of the magazine base?

It is the front of the magazine base Wink

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post