SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What to Put Under Heavy Gun Safe on Hardwood Floors?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to Put Under Heavy Gun Safe on Hardwood Floors? Login/Join 
posted
If one has to put a 250 to 500 pound safe on some very nice hardwood floors what would you put under the safe to protect the floor? I went to Home Depot and none of the staff in the flooring department could help me. I looked at some interlocking rubber mats by Traffic Master but the density was not that heavy and I could easily squeeze the mass with my fingers. I have a heavy file cabinet that must weigh somewhere between hundred and 25 and 200 pounds with the paper. Underneath that I had a beaver board for about a year and then when I updated the file cabinet the beaver board had not left an impression on the floor. Now I have a piece of felt, then the beaver board, and then the heavy file cabinet.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks guys and have a great day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pickup truck bed mat. Hard rubber, but you can cut it with a razor knife to fit.

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Horse stall mat would work pretty well. Heavy duty and able to be cut with a razor knife.

Posts: 134 | Location: NC | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pwrlftr:
Horse stall mat would work pretty well. Heavy duty and able to be cut with a razor knife.

That was my first thought.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Plywood 1/2" ,a slightly larger footprint than the safe.
Rubber may leave marks. The plywood will spread the load and prevent any scratches.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

Plywood or even 1/4" hardboard will work. I would think you'd want it 1/2" smaller, not larger than the footprint. I doubt the plywood border would do much for the esthetics against a hardwood floor.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hrm. If there's direct sun light in the room, it's gonna discolor the wood around it anyway. For just leaving impressions, I guess it would depend on the bottom of the safe. I'd want something to spread the weight. I had those little rubber feet on my nightstand safe and when I moved it, it pulled some of the laminate up, so I'd avoid rubber directly on the floor. I like the idea of felt, but that'd make me worry about moisture. I guess I'm not really much help!

ETA: actually I like that plywood idea. You could brad some molding around it to make it look a little better.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
500 lbs? That's not a "heavy" gun safe. And, I'll assume that you will not be bolting it down, since you don't want to damage the wood floor. The professional thieves would have an easy work day, if they manage to break into your home. Eek

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd put a piece of carpet and then a piece of plywood way thicker than 1/4". your goal is to maximize the load distribution. If aesthetics permit it should be as large as possible.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I attached Flexi-Felt heavy duty self-adhesive pads to the bottom four corners of my small (~350#) safe. Once in place, I drilled holes and secured it to the floor joists with large lag screws. While it was somewhat disturbing to drill holes in my new oak flooring, returning home to find my safe missing would most certainly be worse. Please do your homework re: residential safe installation. As crazy as it sounds, a determined burglar could actually remove a ~500# safe with little effort.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tractor Supply has rolls they will cut to order. They are heavy.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in a condo, 7th floor, with 24 hour front desk staff. That will help with security. The floor below my engineered hardwood is a concrete slab. Condo rules no drilling in it. Many rules to follow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything rubber will just stick and leave marks. I’d use a piece of plywood like others have said, if you want to dress it up you can put some trim around the plywood and paint or stain it

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hockey pucks.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fitness equipment stores sell mats that go under equipment, and some of that gear weighs as much as lighter safe does. I just got one of those for my son's appartment, 80 bucks, seems like will do the job.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
Plastic pallet. sold on amazon, Uline and a couple of others. By a small pallet jack for a few hundred and u can move it anytime you want...
Smile

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most safe dealers will sell a pedestal that is slightly larger than your safe.

I’d look for the best carpet foam padding, then the cheapest carpet, then the pedestal.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not your actual question but I'd look hard at the ability to bolt it down. Don't want someone sliding that puppy out of your house.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by pwrlftr:

That was my first thought.

I have this in my garage. It has worked well.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
my local Fort Knox dealer brings hockey pucks along. Cheap, will bear the load just fine and portable. Obviously, bolting the safe down is harder if not improbable.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post