SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    700 Perfect rounds through P365 then.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

700 Perfect rounds through P365 then..... Login/Join 
Picture of dc54
posted
Nothing catastrophic, but the rear sight came loose enough to almost fall off. Sending back to Sig to fix. I've been very happy with the accuracy of this little gun. After 25 rounds shooting all over the place, I looked down to see the rear sight all the way to one side. Moves easily with finger pressure. I was hoping mine would be trouble free, but this seems to be a lesser of evils. I was starting to believe I'd dodged the Beta Tester bullet!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
I was starting to believe I'd dodged the Beta Tester bullet!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
How is the sight held on? Press fit, or is there a screw you can loosen so you can slide it? Any screw on a violently moving slide can come loose, but a press fit loosening is odd.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:I was starting to believe I'd dodged the Beta Tester bullet!

You were not a Beta tester on a sight design that has been around for a few hundred years. Out of spec part or QC issue maybe, but it's not like Sig went out on a limb by releasing a dovetail rear sight.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Press fit, no screw.

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
How is the sight held on? Press fit, or is there a screw you can loosen so you can slide it? Any screw on a violently moving slide can come loose, but a press fit loosening is odd.

They're pressed into dovetails on the slide.

Unless it's a Mosquito or something off the wall, it's the way SIG does the majority of their standard production pistols.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing catastrophic, but the rear sight came loose enough to almost fall off. Sending back to Sig to fix. I've been very happy with the accuracy of this little gun. After 25 rounds shooting all over the place, I looked down to see the rear sight all the way to one side. Moves easily with finger pressure. I was hoping mine would be trouble free, but this seems to be a lesser of evils. I was starting to believe I'd dodged the Beta Tester bullet!

Was this one of the guns from the first batch before they installed the XRAY3 sights? I remember loose sights being something that happened with that batch. Taran Butler did a review with one from the initial batch and had a sight come loose.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
No, this has the X-ray sights.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’d. Ball that up to bad luck. I have plenty of issues with the 365, but sig obviously knows how to do sights.

Someone likely got a little aggressive grinding down the base during assembly. That’s no buggy.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eclayton
posted Hide Post
It’s a press fit dovetail, not exactly a new design element, as others have pointed out. And without making excuses for this failure, I will note from pistols in my own collection that an out-of-spec dovetail is not a new defect unique to the P365. I have a KA triple-numbered West German P220 from which the front sight fell out of the dovetail and landed at my feet during shooting. And I have a JK-marked West German P226 whose front dovetail slot is milled out of spec into the slide, such that the front sight sits at a noticeable cant in its dovetail slot. The cant is most clearly manifested by the fact that I have to drift the rear sight all the way to the right in its slot to zero the pistol (because the canted front sight’s dot sits right of center). Those are just two examples of out of spec dovetails from SIG’s “glory years.” It just happens that two of the nine classic SIG P-series pistols I own have defective dovetail slots.

I am sure SIG will make your P365 right. Most likely they will replace the slide. They offered to replace the slide on my P220 but I opted to keep my matching serial numbers and peen the inside of the dovetail slot (suggestion from the SIG tech) with a punch to tighten the fit. With the P226 I just chose to live with the cant since it shoots fine and the off-center rear sight doesn’t bother me.

My own two P365s are at 800 and 600 rounds so far with no issues. Thanks for your report.

Posts: 312 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eclayton:
It’s a press fit dovetail, not exactly a new design element, as others have pointed out. And without making excuses for this failure, I will note from pistols in my own collection that an out-of-spec dovetail is not a new defect unique to the P365. I have a KA triple-numbered West German P220 from which the front sight fell out of the dovetail and landed at my feet during shooting. And I have a JK-marked West German P226 whose front dovetail slot is milled out of spec into the slide, such that the front sight sits at a noticeable cant in its dovetail slot. The cant is most clearly manifested by the fact that I have to drift the rear sight all the way to the right in its slot to zero the pistol (because the canted front sight’s dot sits right of center). Those are just two examples of out of spec dovetails from SIG’s “glory years.” It just happens that two of the nine classic SIG P-series pistols I own have defective dovetail slots.

I am sure SIG will make your P365 right. Most likely they will replace the slide. They offered to replace the slide on my P220 but I opted to keep my matching serial numbers and peen the inside of the dovetail slot (suggestion from the SIG tech) with a punch to tighten the fit. With the P226 I just chose to live with the cant since it shoots fine and the off-center rear sight doesn’t bother me.

My own two P365s are at 800 and 600 rounds so far with no issues. Thanks for your report.

We all like to see new guns be perfect when we open the box... and of course we should inspect them when we buy them, although sometimes we get in a hurry... but I think its pretty cool to be able to accept a minor flaw in something just because it is overall pretty good.

(Aside: this isn't really about the P365's, which have enough systemic issues to have created a lot of discussion on this and other forums).

It isn't easy to accept less than perfection in an expensive pistol, of course, but if you use it hard -- put it in a holster, shoot it a lot, or lay it on a bench at the range -- they tend to get marked up a bit anyway. So for a working gun, a few flaws here and there are okay. If the gun is overall good enough to have earned its place at the table.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Press fit, no screw.

What is the build date, although that probably isn't all that relevant.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Well hopefully it's the sight that's defective or out of spec and not the dovetail slot. Then again, a new slide is a fairly easy fix.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A loose sight isn't all that uncommon, and honestly the simple gunsmith fix is to stake the sight base and file back slightly. A pin punch two or three places on the sight will press more dovetail material at the base, slightly widening it, and it's then inserted back into the slide dovetail with an interference fit.

Sig will probably replace the slide or sight to account for a milling error, rather than a quick fix...but the quick fix is common, and works.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Gun came back in right at 2 weeks. New slide and rear sight. I guess I have to go to the range this weekend and shoot it!

posted Hide Post
Good to hear that Sig treated you well. I bought a law enforcement IOP P365 recently with a born-on date of July 2018. Just reached 1000rd rounds without a single issue. I did trip the slide release a few times and prevented lock-back on the last round fired, but it is such a tiny gun that I have to modify my grip to stay clear of the controls. So far, I love this little 9mm.

Posts: 731 | Location: Midwest | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post