SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    UPDATE w/pictures Have you had your gun grips stippled or laser modified
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE w/pictures Have you had your gun grips stippled or laser modified Login/Join 
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted
I have a Gen 4 Glock 19 which I shoot very well. I've been mulling over having the grip stippled or use a laser modified pattern simply because, well just because. After reviewing posts here and looking locally, I could not find what I liked. Locally options are few and no one responded to my inquiry so I took to the internet. I decided on some laser stippling from Alpha Dogs in CT. The grip is a medium aggressiveness over the Glock. The finger grips were removed and a cut under the trigger was done. The stippling looks like this.

In all I like the job done and look forward to the next range session with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AZSigs,

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Dusty78 personally did great jobs on his guns. They all looked professional quality to me. But, I don't know about the degree of "grippiness" of his guns.

I had my beater G23/G19 FrankenGlock's grip stippled by a local guy. He had several patterns and let me feel each one, before I decided. I decided on the honeycomb pattern. Not insanely aggressive like the RTF2 or the MP 2.0 that will rip your skin/clothes off when CCing, but still very grippy.

quote:
How did you decide your gun grip needed to be modified/stippled?

Everyone's preference is different. For example, for me, the G43/43x/48 is just not acceptably grippy enough. The P365's grip a perfect balance between grippiness and aggressiveness. The RTF2 and the MP 2.0 are off-the-chart grippy and aggressive.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I had my Glock done with a laser. In my opinion the laser option is the best available now. It is neater, has many more options, and is easier to get the work done right. I have seen far too many really bad hand stippling jobs to trust many workers to get it right.
If you opt for laser the most aggressive textures use smaller cuts, once they get over about 3/16" they are not terribly effective. My recommendation is to try some out and decide for yourself if they are more effective than the factory surface, and which texture is most effective and attractive to you personally.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1493 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Kent did this in his solar cross style. Polymer Refined. One week turnaround.

It feels great. So great I never bothered buying a gen4 like I planned.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did my own on my P320 grip. I'm very happy with it, but I don't know that I would be brave enough to do it myself on something I couldn't replace easily if I screwed it up.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I did a Gen 4 G19 after I removed the finger bumps with a dremel tool. I used a soldering iron and it took some time before the area wore down enough to keep from ruining clothing.

I know I will never sell this gun, and I’m ok with that.

And then Glock came out with the Gen 5 w/o finger bumps.....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
once they get over about 3/16" they are not terribly effective

Good to know. I am having a hard time finding local people to do any of this. Options from gunsmiths online look great but I can't gauge the aggressiveness of their work.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Stop by Robar on 7th ave, just south of Deer Valley.
They have mods to grab that will give you an idea of what is possible and what you may or may not like.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Dusty78 personally did great jobs on his guns. They all looked professional quality to me. But, I don't know about the degree of "grippiness" of his guns.

I had my beater G23/G19 FrankenGlock's grip stippled by a local guy. He had several patterns and let me feel each one, before I decided. I decided on the honeycomb pattern. Not insanely aggressive like the RTF2 or the MP 2.0 that will rip your skin/clothes off when CCing, but still very grippy.

quote:
How did you decide your gun grip needed to be modified/stippled?

Everyone's preference is different. For example, for me, the G43/43x/48 is just not acceptably grippy enough. The P365's grip a perfect balance between grippiness and aggressiveness. The RTF2 and the MP 2.0 are off-the-chart grippy and aggressive.

I had this done to my PPQ.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I had my 226 X5 Comp done by a good friend and fellow USPSA shooter.

He used a soldering iron so the pattern was whatever the tip could produce.

I wanted the texture as rough as could be. My hands are calloused and sweaty during matches, so I wanted a rough texture.

Totally satisfied, and if I wasn't, $30 OEM grips would fix it.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an X-carry grip on a P320 full size, from Grayguns, which is laser textured. They call it the sculpted grip. I quite like it, and it for now it's the pistol I use in steel shoots and other local competitions.

I don't say that to suggest it's the winning pistol at any match...I'm middle of the road and will never be much different. I like it all the same. It's the right amount of grip without being too much, and if aesthetics mean anything, it looks nice, too. I don't have pictures and have no idea how to post them these days. They're on the Grayguns website. Mine looks like any other.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Lane at Cold Bore Customs did a couple of mine.
Highly recommended.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
For me it was luck. I went into the range where I am a member at and in the used case was a Gen 3 Glock 26 that had a grip reduction and stipple job.

I picked it up and it felt great. The range allows you to rent the used guns and try them out, if you want to buy the gun after, the rental price is taken off the sale price.

I did, again the grip felt like it was made for my hand. First Glock 26 that I have ever liked, no rear grip hump; something that I have always disliked on the 26s.

So that is how I got my grip reduction/stippled Glock.

I have shot several Robar grip reduction/stippled guns as well as a Bowie Tactical grip reduction/stippled gun. I would not hesitate to go with them at all.

A client of mine just got two Glock 19s done at Robar, I told him that if decides to sell them later, give me first chance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked into getting a polymer80? It fixes almost all the issues people typically have with a glock grip. Just weds some gen3 parts to complete it.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Polymer refined did a couple for me. Great work and turn around. I've had a local guy do a few as well. Great work also. Just fine the right person to trust! My PX4 Storms are now perfect!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Kent at Polymer Refined!

I like a rough texture grip on my pistols. It holds better for me. I've been known to get dirty, sweaty, a little blood on the rare occasion, and a rough texture just seems to work.

I'm using 3M "no-skid" tape on my duty gun which is working well for me, but the stippling just looks soo much better.

I looked at Polymer Refined stuff on here, and was impressed. I called Kent up, and it was a done deal. I sent my G-19 out on Monday, had it back the next Mon- possibly Tues. quick turnaround time, and phenomenal outcome! Still feels great to this day, and it's on my off duty gun/ pretty much EDC. I've looked at other people's work, and just liked Polymer Refined's better. He also double undercut the trigger guard and scalloped out the mag release. Again, it looked cleaner than other people's work, in my opinion.

I don't think there's much of a difference now between laser cut or stippling. Laser, if you get someone that knows what they are doing, and it's in something like a CNC machine, you can control the pattern better. Come up with different patterns...
But it's about the same feel between stippling and laser.

http://www.polymerrefined.com/

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve been happy with boresight and Wilson combat. I don’t have any experience with them, but I’ve seen some by stipgrip that look amazing.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had Lane Owens / Cold Bore Custom stipple 3 glocks. I was very pleased with the work, cost, and turn around time.

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some companies do an amazing job on their stippling-Polymer Refined just pops into my head, while others look like a botched mess. I like the laser stippling look, as it seems more uniform but wish the stippling did not go all the way up to the top of the frame. Depending on how you decide to carry the firearm makes a big difference. My M&P 2.0 is, for me, way to aggressive and I had to take some fine wet/dry sandpaper to it as it was painful to carry IWB as it was.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Stop by Robar on 7th ave, just south of Deer Valley.
They have mods to grab that will give you an idea of what is possible and what you may or may not like.

I'm over there every now and then. The gun would have a major wait for them to do anything. However, they are a local alternative.