SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Legion P226 SAO versus Legion P220 SAO

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legion P226 SAO versus Legion P220 SAO Login/Join 
posted
I have a Legion P226 SAO and absolutely love it. I shoot it better than any handgun I own - it fits me perfectly plus it has a great trigger. I'm thinking of picking up a Legion P220 SAO and my question is will I like it as much as the 226? It appears all the ergonomics, sights etc. are the same - just a bit more recoil with the 45ACP than the 9mm. Thoughts and opinions appreciated!

Thanks

Posts: 122 | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telling cops where to go for over 25 years
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I have P220, P226, and P229 Legion SAOs.

Just like my kids, I love them all equally but there are times when each is my favorite Wink

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 9349 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think every Sig owner should have a 220. As to whether that example(s) should be a Legion and in SAO form, that is really a different question. But you already have & like the Legion SAO format, thus a 220 version would be a good compliment.

My 220 Legion SAO has been excellent since I bought it in late ‘18. I don’t have the 226 version (my 226’s are DA/SA), though I’ve been tempted for years.

I love the 226 and have owned one of mine for over 30 years. It’s hard to think of a better overall pistol in many respects. But the 220 is different in a good way. Just handling one in the shop alerts you to that svelte frame. And, a .45 is more appealing than a 9mm. A 9mm is perfectly adequate and has many advantages. But, practicality aside, I’d rather be shooting a .45 when at the range.

If you emphasize practicality, you have no need for anything beyond that 226. But...

Posts: 415 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. I carried a 226 for years. I recently bought a 220 from a member here because I've always wanted one and the price was right. I absolutely love the 220 and it has become my EDC. Now I'm thinking of buying a Legion SAO 220 but I want to know more about the thumb safety. It doesn't appear to have a plunger to keep it in the safe position so I need to check that out first. But if I don't buy a SAO, I will probably buy a regular Legion 220. IMO it is the ultimate pistol.

Posts: 5253 | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
I agree. I carried a 226 for years. I recently bought a 220 from a member here because I've always wanted one and the price was right. I absolutely love the 220 and it has become my EDC. Now I'm thinking of buying a Legion SAO 220 but I want to know more about the thumb safety. It doesn't appear to have a plunger to keep it in the safe position so I need to check that out first. But if I don't buy a SAO, I will probably buy a regular Legion 220. IMO it is the ultimate pistol.

Bulldog7972,
The P220 SAO thumb safety has a spring(stamped S/S spring steel) piece that serves multiple tasks that is the safe/fire detent & fits into a groove in the RH thumb safety cross stud to keep both thumb lever pieces captive.
The spring (formed flat stock) presses into the frame once preloaded into position.

SAO safties only block trigger bar forward movement in SAFE position.

Favor Center,Mass.

Posts: 42 | Registered: March 23, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll have to take a trip to the gun store and check one out.

Posts: 5253 | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I think you'll like having a 10mm Legion P220 as much as a P226 in 9mm.

Let us know what you ultimately decide.

My other Sig is a Steyr...

Posts: 5952 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post