SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 locking block insert
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 locking block insert Login/Join 
Picture of bashman
posted
Stripping my 226 down today for a much needed deep cleaning, and I discover a small piece has sheared off of the locking block insert. It is on the right side, just in front of the trigger pin. Looks like everything would go back together as it should and shouldn't affect function.
That being said, in the event it doesn't work, I started looking around for replacements. And noticed that prices seemed to be all over the place.
http://www.topgunsupply.com/si...ing-insert-p226.html
http://www.brownells.com/handg...174-21871-47658.aspx
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...nsert-sig-sauer-p226
http://www.midwestgunworks.com...rod/LOCKING-INSERT-2
As the links show, prices range from $52 to $147 on what appears (to me at least) to be the same or similar items. Is there indeed a difference in these items?
I'd prefer to stick with Sig factory parts, but I also don't want to pay more than is necessary.

A man who does not read has no appreciable advantage over the man who cannot read.

Posts: 1192 | Location: Charlotte | Registered: July 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Are you certain that a piece broke off the part? There is a bevel on the right front of the locking insert as seen most clearly in the Midwest Gun Works photo.

If it has, I don’t know why you wouldn’t purchase a replacement at the best price (don’t forget shipping).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bashman
posted Hide Post
Yes, a small piece definitely sheared off. That's the piece in front of the block in the first pic.

A man who does not read has no appreciable advantage over the man who cannot read.

Posts: 1192 | Location: Charlotte | Registered: July 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Definitely correct. Smile
I didn’t read your description carefully enough.

As far as I know, there are no aftermarket or counterfeit locking inserts, so it should make no difference which one you buy. One description says theirs is “machined,” and I would take that as not being a MIM part as most are today, but I wouldn’t rely on that claim either.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like everything would go back together as it should and shouldn't affect function

I would never use that in its current form.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hey, The piece itself should look like this one.

Numrich or some other gun parts seller may have what you need.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not had any experience with midwest gunworks, but I know the other three sources on your list are very reputable. You might give midway a call and ask why their product is so cheap in comparison and double check it is made by sig.

davemercer

Posts: 936 | Location: NE USA | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Midwest gun works is completely good to go as a source of parts.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Give Sig a call, get a customer service reps email address and send them pics of your part. They may send you a replacement for free.

I had a pin sheer off the charging handle on my MPX and did the above and I had a replacement charging handle in the mail within a week.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
$140+(!) for the locking insert...yet it's definitely been a while since I last bought one. Last time was about 4 or 5 yrs ago; around $50-60 for a factory insert for a P229, what Midway and Midwest charge for this one for the P226.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe I have one laying around in good shape. I'll check and get back.

Posts: 163 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
Give Sig a call, get a customer service reps email address and send them pics of your part. They may send you a replacement for free...

Wow...looks more like a large chunk than a small piece. Two comments:

1) Definitely call Sig CS, explain what happened and send a pic. Never seen this before. Given the location, looks more like a metallurgical defect than something related to wear and tear. Sig would probably just swap. Send you a new one and they can examine the old one from a QC perspective.

2) The last several years, Sig CS has been very good. It's just good business, especially with the expansion of their model lines and the success of the P320. The old maxim in marketing (unless they are AH's) is: It's a lot cheaper to retain an existing customer than have to find a new one.

3) Unrelated directly to your post. My practice has always been to clean, INSPECT and lube after each range session. Operative word is INSPECT. Gives you a chance to detect any problems between range trips. This is one reason for shooters to learn how to detail strip as well. It's not difficult. I will detail strip, clean, inspect and lube my frequently used guns at least annually. Cheap insurance.

Good luck.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I doubt that the broken corner compromises the integrity of the locking insert and gun function in any significant way. It's the takedown lever shaft that carries all of the recoil forces. Assuming no other defects are found, I'd bet the gun would function perfectly with the locking insert as is.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post