SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 Legion 9mm DA/SA (E29R-9-LEGION) Slide takedown
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 Legion 9mm DA/SA (E29R-9-LEGION) Slide takedown Login/Join 
Picture of Laity1
posted
I've watched numerous YouTube videos on basic take-down of the P229 for cleaning and lubrication.
I'm looking for more specific information (website, video, document) for slide disassembly and reassembly, especially the firing pin.
What tools are required?
It looks as though the vertically oriented pin (1st pic) needs to be tapped out from the underside of the slide (2nd pic) to remove the extractor (3rd pic). I'm guessing this will reveal the site to remove the horizontally oriented pin (4th pic) to release the firing pin parts.
Does this tool kits contain the necessary tools for my gun?

Posts: 16 | Location: Chicago | Registered: March 26, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
You might consider ordering this video:

https://opspectraining.com/pro...auer-armorers-video/

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
If I am not mistaken all Legions use the long extractor. As far as I know, disassembly of all long extractor Sig slides is the same.

It's not cheap, but I use this punch https://www.brownells.com/guns...-tool-prod54547.aspx to remove the pins.

You could also try to make a D-shaped punch.

Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_maO2Qy2AI&t=435s is a video

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Laity1
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gary and cyberiad!
I found this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU4UKHXfNho
It sure looks like my slide/upper. Called the E2 upper? Sorry, I dunno Sig development history. Maybe my E29R-9-LEGION uses this slide/upper?
The vid says Brownell tool part number 100-009-923 wb is the tool for the job. However, the vid did not show firing pin removal.
I'm going to order the video (gotta find a way to play a dvd.. lol) and the Brownell tool.
I'm not a gunsmith. I'm just a guy that wants to be able to clean and lube his firing pin every few thousand rounds.

Posts: 16 | Location: Chicago | Registered: March 26, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm just a guy that wants to be able to clean and lube his firing pin every few thousand rounds.

You do not want to lube the firing pin. That only allows dirt to coagulate into gunk. Run the firing pin channel dry. Clean it with aerosol solvent.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and you do not want to take this section of the slide apart very often IMO>
The brownell tool is mint. Once you have the extractor out, and the cross pin out, you simply push down on the firing pin block to have the fp come out.
I've fired sometime 30-40K rounds through a sig and never felt the need to go here at least on the solid pin ones since its such a PIA>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Laity1
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gary and hrcjon! Your replies are appreciated. I'm here to ask and learn.

When I clean my gun each time after the range, I see black oily stuff on the hammer side of the firing pin around the perimeter. Several swabs are needed before it is clean. It makes me wonder if clean inside. Y'know? Thus my inquiry. I feel like pollution is getting in by the safety lock (firing pin block).

I'd still like to develop competence in disassembly and reassembly of the gun to increase my intimacy with the gun. I really like my new gun.

I've been cleaning my gun each each range visit. I have Lucas CLP and Lucas Gun Oil. I have ordered grease from Shooter's Choice.

When I practice at home I use a MantisX with a snapcap. Couple thousand fires there. Between range and home maybe 5k trigger pulls. No dry fires (without snapcap). Well, maybe a couple three..lol.

I have high-end personal defense ammo and have shot maybe three or four boxes. But most of my range practice is with house-brand reload stuff.

Don't be shy to bust me for noobness. I like candor and clarity.

posted Hide Post
Listen to hrcjon and GaryBF. They know what they’re talking about.

If you’re worried about the firing pin and channel buy some Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber and spray that in without disassembling. You’re more like to cause problems continually taking it apart.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Laity1
posted Hide Post
OK. Thank you Buddy!

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I applaud your desire to learn about your SIG and believe there is some value in knowing how to detail strip it. But, you should be aware that detail stripping a SIG will technically violate the warranty. If you never need the warranty then I suppose it is a moot point, and if you detail strip a SIG and reassemble it correctly then SIG may be none the wiser...but if you happen to make a mistake or possible break something in the process and find that you need the warranty you might just find yourself S.O.L.

I wouldn't think twice about detail stripping any of my SIGs that are out of warranty...but I also wouldn't make a detail strip part of every range trip clean and inspect either. I've removed the old dual roll pin set-up but have never tackled one of the solid pin or spiral pin slides but I can't help thinking that the more often these pins are removed and installed you run the risk of either enlarging the hole or otherwise damaging it or damaging the pin.

As noted previously, removing the firing pin assembly is not part of a regular cleaning or inspection routine after every range trip and the firing pin channel shouldn't need frequent cleaning or any lubrication. Although I've removed the firing pin from a couple of my old SIGs when replacing the roll pins, I have other SIGs with thousands of rounds through them that have never had the firing pin removed because I haven't had any reason to do so.

If it were me I would not disassemble the firing pin assembly on a new Legion if it was under warranty...and certainly not unless there was an issue. Buy yourself a used SIG that is out of warranty if you want to practice a detail strip...or consider taking a SIG Armorer's course and becoming a certified armorer.

Laity1 welcome to the forum. Smile

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Laity1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Savage!
I didn't think about the warranty bit.
You guys got me simmered down. There's no real need to tear-down my gun. I just wanted to do it and to maintain and protect the gun. Don't worry! I'll just channel my noob enthusiasm more positively.