SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Sig question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Sig question Login/Join 
Picture of sigluvr
posted
What is a normal "break in" period for a new SIG? I just bought a P938 and it doesn't seem to be as accurate as the one I rented at the gun range when I was deciding what to get. I couldn't miss with the rental, but when I got home with this new one, I didn't shoot nearly as well.

Thanks in advance,

Sigluvr

SP-2340 .40, .357 SIG
Glock 19
P938

Posts: 182 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: December 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
There is no normal. Some people will say the gun should require no 'break in' whatsoever while others contend that a gun, especially one that is to be carried, should be broken in.

It's not clear why the number of rounds through each (if that's what you mean by break in) would affect how you shoot two presumably identical guns. In the well used model the parts may have had a chance to 'wear in' together making it more accurate but I have no idea whether that's actually true.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My first thought is that the rental may have had a smoother, lighter trigger pull because of its extensive use.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47400 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Same ammo?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigluvr
posted Hide Post
1) Thank you for your responses.
2)I am of the opinion that anything that's not hand fitted will require "some" break in (and yes I'm talking about round count.
3) I was thinking the same thing about how many rounds the rental had shot maybe "smoothing" out the mechanism.
4) Yes it was the same ammo. (blazer brass)
5) The only difference other than the round count was the hand gun grips. I plan on getting a new set of grips to better fit my hand, but I'm still leaning toward the round count angle.

Again thank you for your input.

SP-2340 .40, .357 SIG
Glock 19
P938

Posts: 182 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: December 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigluvr:

5) The only difference other than the round count was the hand gun grips. I plan on getting a new set of grips to better fit my hand...

I was surprised at how much of a difference this actually makes. At one time I was fine with the factory grips on my Sigs and other pistols. I had found a set of smooth grips for my Desert Eagle and gave them a try. Nope. Wouldn't even cycle properly. Sold those and bought some checkered aluminum grips the next day. Made a huge difference. Added aluminum grips to my (only) P220 (at the time) and it made a marked improvement on getting the rounds where I wanted them to go. Now I add checkered aluminum grips to most all of my pistols. Let us know how it works out.

Posts: 9147 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigluvr
posted Hide Post
I will, I have some hogues ordered.

SP-2340 .40, .357 SIG
Glock 19
P938

posted Hide Post
Grips make the biggest difference, especially when shooting with speed.

I am also a big fan of checkered aluminum grips. The Hogue Extreme Main Spring Housing made a huge difference.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
Grips make the biggest difference, especially when shooting with speed.

I am also a big fan of checkered aluminum grips. The Hogue Extreme Main Spring Housing made a huge difference.

+1 Been there, bought that, it is not coming off. Big Grin

Posts: 9147 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yep, grip size and style is important... I can attest to that.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post