SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How many rounds do you normally carry? in gun/spare mags.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many rounds do you normally carry? in gun/spare mags. Login/Join 
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
Full-size 1911, so 8+1 and two spare 10rd mags. Overkill? Probably. But I find it is more comfortable due to the weigh balance.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 568 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on where working. Sig 226-9mm 46. Khar 6+1, 2 spare 6 rounders. Either a m4 or m.c.x. with 140 5.56.
Gtfo. Bag has lots minimum of 10 5.56 magazines. 7 for sig and 2 full loadout reloads.. Usually have a 20 for sig in seat. Tomahawk in door. Ran down to one 17 round 226 mag once on a supposedly easy peasy work. If have my 229-357. 7 mags .
Lately it's been leave sig at home. Boss's idea stated Nothing ever going to happen here. the fact guy on nights found someone coming in by boat and his vehicle was ventilated. When confronted group at water.

Posts: 29 | Location: tn | Registered: December 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
usually a extra mag. but if I am going somewhere I may have some extra ammo at my destination stashed. but if I have the ar15/10 pistol I may have a go bag with 6+ mags and 500+ loose.

If its a party you should always come prepared

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Gotta love the internet.....people will fight about anything Roll Eyes

Dude carries....good...no spare....ok, his choice....reasoning might seem silly but it's his ass not mine....

Dude calls his statement stupid.....again his choice but a bit harsh considering he is a brother in arms.

Can't we all just get along

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
he is a brother in arms.

I am curious to this statement? What makes him a brother? Or am I missing something here that they are actually brothers?

Or is this the mere ownership of a gun make them brothers in your eyes? I have no relation to statistical gunfighters because I can't stomach the hypocrisy. The only question I have to draw from that back and forth is why the one poster carries more than 2 rounds, because you know, .02799975645 made up percent chance and all. More than two rounds seems like great overkill because "statistics". But, then again, we all know the answer.

Let's not even talk about the number of concealed carriers who fail/refuse to act during violent crime. Or they "left" their gun in the car when they went in the store that was robbed. How about those "averages"? They have been told about all those "statistics", and then they fail to act because of them. I can't stomach it, no more than I can stomach the cowards that set outside in their police cars during Parkland.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Everybody has their own risk evaluation based on their own experiences and knowledge. Scientifically derived Statistics should play a part in this, but everybody has their own personal comfort level and a great many folks have defended themselves with very few rounds or no shots fired.

That being said.
-more is always better unless you are on fire or drowning. That doesn’t mean you need 300 rounds of ammo but I know myself well enough that it should would comfort me if my personal SHTF. If you are intellectually honest more is always better in a vacuum.

-You might be a steely eyed gunfighter that knows no fear and misses only on purpose. I, myself am just like that.....only 100% the opposite. So I would prefer personally to have more chances at good hit while I am screaming like a little girl running for cover....or a different locale. I know my shooting skill might suffer a weeee bit in this situation and I think if you are intellectually honest with yourself. Yours might too.

Just those two things absolutely support a large round count and a spare magazine or two.

That all being said I find that I personally am willing to put my risk vs comfort level at 10-15 rounds in the firearm with no spare mag. Could I carry more. Yep. Should I? I dunno if I get killed then yeah. I pays my money I takes my chances.

Just because somebody elects to carry JFrame doesn’t make them wrong, it is their risk vs comfort equation. Same if you carry 3 extra 17 round mags and a backup. Nothing wrong with that either.

At the end of the day stuff happens. The most prepared warrior in the world could be cut down in an instant with a single shot and the least could bumble into a win. The reality lies in the middle.

Know how to shoot. If you can carry legally do so. Have a plan. Be smart. Be vigilant and train. The hardware is very secondary in my mind.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
On duty, 33 rounds of .45acp, plus 6+1 of same in the bug. Off duty typically 10+1 in a G26, and a spare 1 spare mag. If we're in the car, I always have a fifty round box of Gold Dots in the drivers door pocket. If we are vacationing via vehicle, an AR and 3 full mags is added to the repertoire.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
I always have 8 + 8. The spare 8 is always in my Magholder.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
35 rounds, gun and spare mag.

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Just curious about how many rounds do you carry on a consistent basis inside your gun, and also your spare magazines?

Are you comfortable with your choice and carry "just enough" or do you think you should be carry more?

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
15 and 1, plus 2 15 round magazines (sometimes just 1 extra mag) - my .32 H&R Magnum Ruger LCR revolver is always in my jacket/coat pocket for easy access.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
These days the baseline is 19. Frequently increases to 32, more rarely to 44.

That's 6+1 with 2 spares, with optional 12+1 and optional spare.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swiss_seth
posted Hide Post
My HK USPc 9mm

full mag plus 1 in the chamber

3 13 round mags in my maxpedition jumbo versipack

got all kinds of goodies in that versipack lol

Posts: 1655 | Location: Steel City USA | Registered: October 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I download my hi caps by 1 round.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
G43x is my edc. One 15 round mag in the gun. Two more in the door pocket of my truck.

If I’m edc with a j-frame it’s 5 in the gun and one speed strip.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Current 9mm EDC is 25rds (12+1 in the pistol, and one full 12rd spare magazine).

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I may have missed an earlier similar post and I moved this from a different thread, but my thoughts:

For the non-LEO, I believe that the most important reason to carry an extra magazine (for pistols with detachable magazines), is because sometimes the primary gets released from the gun unintentionally. If that happens it may not be noticed and the mag is completely lost between the car seats or someplace else.

Even if it happens when handling the gun as was seen in a recent video of a law enforcement incident (and I’ve had it happen to me), it’s usually better to be able to reload a spare from a pouch than try to find the original in the snow or weeds or in the dark or while moving to cover.

Some magazines like the early Glocks’ sometimes disassembled themselves, and some P226 mags had the reputation of ejecting all their rounds if they were dropped just right. Even if those things don’t happen, sometimes the top cartridge of a dropped magazine gets partially dislodged and won’t feed and chamber properly.

A spare mag is just good insurance even if it’s unlikely to ever be needed.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I may have missed an earlier similar post and I moved this from a different thread, but my thoughts:

For the non-LEO, I believe that the most important reason to carry an extra magazine (for pistols with detachable magazines), is because sometimes the primary gets released from the gun unintentionally. If that happens it may not be noticed and the mag is completely lost between the car seats or someplace else.

Even if it happens when handling the gun as was seen in a recent video of a law enforcement incident (and I’ve had it happen to me), it’s usually better to be able to reload a spare from a pouch than try to find the original in the snow or weeds or in the dark or while moving to cover.

Some magazines like the early Glocks’ sometimes disassembled themselves, and some P226 mags had the reputation of ejecting all their rounds if they were dropped just right. Even if those things don’t happen, sometimes the top cartridge of a dropped magazine gets partially dislodged and won’t feed and chamber properly.

A spare mag is just good insurance even if it’s unlikely to ever be needed.

I couldnt agree more! This is one of the top reasons I carry a spare and one of the main reasons we developed the Magholder! Another reason would be a pistol jamming and malfunctioning, the current magazine is often times the culprit. Cycling a new magazine is a sure fire way to eliminate the problem!

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
Glock 19M: 15
Glock 43X: 10
Glock 21: 13
Glock 23: 13
Sig Sauer P225: 8...maybe 16...Big Grin

Soon...

Glock 17M: 17

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My normal EDC is a P220 45. Three mags.

But, I fell in February and broke my left wrist, suffered nerve damage in my left hand they tell me will take a year to heal. (if then.) Can't charge the dang P220, not able to make a fist with the left hand, or grip things.

My EDC right now, and in the hottest OK months, is the Smith M&P 340 .357 with two or three bianchi speed strips., so 23 rounds. If we go into the city, any city, I add the Sig P556 and a couple extra mags. (90 rounds) Riot Control. It's cased behind the seat, but I was in Richmond when they trapped cars on the bridges, and driving cross country when the rioters were blocking interstates. I spent 15 years in the military and 30 years in LE and know what happens in the dark. "If you want peace, prepare for war."

"You can tell a lot about the character of a man, by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Posts: 14 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: November 17, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
At a minimum a Glock g19 with the 15+1 and then another 15 on the side. .............................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post