SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How many rounds do you normally carry? in gun/spare mags.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many rounds do you normally carry? in gun/spare mags. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For my 9mm's: 15 in pistol and 2 15 round magazines (17 round mags for my PX4 Storm)

For my CZ83 7.65mm: 15 in pistol and 2 15 round mags

I also always carry a Ruger LCR .22WMR with just 6 in the pistol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
7+1 .380 most of the time in light clothing months. 6+1 9mm in heavier clothing months. No spare mags. I don't see a need to carry more in my state where I am surrounded by CCW (since no license required in Idaho).

Roll Eyes

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read, not just on this forum, but all of the Internet.

Ever since CCW has been available without license in Idaho, CCW has simply exploded in numbers (at least in Boise area). Yes, I feel less need to carry an arsenal when surrounded by (which I literally am) by so many other law abiding Idaho citizens carrying CCW. Just like if I were standing inside the police station (or possibly a Sigforum get-together held in Idaho), I wouldn't feel the need to be heavily armed at all because of the density of firearms around me. In fact there is even a bill being pushed through that will allow 18-21 year old carry unlicensed CCW in all Idaho cities, which they currently are not able to (can only CCW if under 21 outside of cities). Not requiring a permit makes it an easy choice to CCW for everyone. Unlike others in less free states (like you), I don't live day to day fearing for my life and feel I need to carry enough ammo to shoot it out with the hordes of zombies, criminal gang members, or whatever. I only carry enough to either get me to a safe distance or a small "chance" to stop a fight if my luck is so bad that it's shoot or die time. I live in a free state where likely a good percentage of the people around me in public (even in more liberal Boise) are likely armed which lessens my need to make up for for any perceived ammo deficiency against some random criminal shooter. I am not a cop, it's not my job to shoot it out with bad guys.

Do you even CCW? I noticed you didn't state the amount of ammo you carry in this thread, while you sure managed to throw in your two cents about how superior you are. I'm sure your vast experience in gunfight data and superior intelligence has shown how effective carrying an extra XX number or mags/rounds has been? Right?

The studies I have heard/read about place the average number of shots fired in actual "civilian" gunfire exchanges is "2". Other studies give the number of shots fired by actual "police" in gunfights is only 3-4 rounds fired in any gunfight. Sure there are always statistical outliers. There will always be incidents where many mags are dumped, however, you as a civilian are more likely to die in a car accident than get shot or shoot at another in one of these multi mag dump gunfights. There are also people who win the lottery too... Yes, there was a bad guy in Vegas who dumped a a bunch of mags and killed a lot of people. That was a statistical outlier. And if you were one of the people in the crowd, no amount of bullets on you would have helped when you don't know where or can't return fire.

My primary tool is my brain, that reduces my chances of being at the wrong place at the wrong time when I use it properly and I'm on the good side of Lady Luck. If bad luck or fate says otherwise and I am forced into the wrong place wrong time, then my next tool is my legs, which will hopefully get me to a safe distance fast. If bad luck says even my legs aren't fast enough to get far enough away, then I have my CCW pistol with 7-8 rounds. If my luck is still so bad that at this point, my 7-8 rounds is not enough and I still haven't gotten far enough away, then Lady luck really has it out for me, and having several more mags worth of bullets is unlikely to help any since my luck has completely ran out already. US society (even in shitty ghetto urban areas in Chicago) is not so bad that a normal armed civilian's statistical chances of getting into actual gun fight (much less an extended multi-magazine dump gunfight) are beyond next to zero.

If it makes you feel safer, than go ahead and carry all the backup mags and guns you want. It's cool with me. I'm not the one who has to carry it. I do understand the justification and emotion to want to carry more ammo JUST IN CASE, but the statistics simply don't back up the diminishing returns on more ammo.. One can't logically claim to say that playing the scratch off cards and lotteries is a suckers bet then ignore the even lower statistical chances of needing multiple reloads for a random civilian gunfight. More power to you though. Perhaps instead of smug asshole comments, you can expand upon how superior or special the knowledge you have is.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
All of my carry semiauto guns are fully loaded with one in the chamber/w full mag, and one full spare magazine.
My S&W 638 snubby has a full cylinder and either one HK speed loader, or one Bianci speed strip.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand and agree with what you are saying Xero. I'm going to Washington DC in a few weeks for the annual Police Week. Because I'm surrounded by other cops who all have guns, I don't even take one.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
7+1 .380 most of the time in light clothing months. 6+1 9mm in heavier clothing months. No spare mags. I don't see a need to carry more in my state where I am surrounded by CCW (since no license required in Idaho).

Roll Eyes

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read, not just on this forum, but all of the Internet.

Ever since CCW has been available without license in Idaho, CCW has simply exploded in numbers (at least in Boise area). Yes, I feel less need to carry an arsenal when surrounded by (which I literally am) by so many other law abiding Idaho citizens carrying CCW. Just like if I were standing inside the police station (or possibly a Sigforum get-together held in Idaho), I wouldn't feel the need to be heavily armed at all because of the density of firearms around me. In fact there is even a bill being pushed through that will allow 18-21 year old carry unlicensed CCW in all Idaho cities, which they currently are not able to (can only CCW if under 21 outside of cities). Not requiring a permit makes it an easy choice to CCW for everyone. Unlike others in less free states (like you), I don't live day to day fearing for my life and feel I need to carry enough ammo to shoot it out with the hordes of zombies, criminal gang members, or whatever. I only carry enough to either get me to a safe distance or a small "chance" to stop a fight if my luck is so bad that it's shoot or die time. I live in a free state where likely a good percentage of the people around me in public (even in more liberal Boise) are likely armed which lessens my need to make up for for any perceived ammo deficiency against some random criminal shooter. I am not a cop, it's not my job to shoot it out with bad guys.

Do you even CCW? I noticed you didn't state the amount of ammo you carry in this thread, while you sure managed to throw in your two cents about how superior you are. I'm sure your vast experience in gunfight data and superior intelligence has shown how effective carrying an extra XX number or mags/rounds has been? Right?

The studies I have heard/read about place the average number of shots fired in actual "civilian" gunfire exchanges is "2". Other studies give the number of shots fired by actual "police" in gunfights is only 3-4 rounds fired in any gunfight. Sure there are always statistical outliers. There will always be incidents where many mags are dumped, however, you as a civilian are more likely to die in a car accident than get shot or shoot at another in one of these multi mag dump gunfights. There are also people who win the lottery too... Yes, there was a bad guy in Vegas who dumped a a bunch of mags and killed a lot of people. That was a statistical outlier. And if you were one of the people in the crowd, no amount of bullets on you would have helped when you don't know where or can't return fire.

My primary tool is my brain, that reduces my chances of being at the wrong place at the wrong time when I use it properly and I'm on the good side of Lady Luck. If bad luck or fate says otherwise and I am forced into the wrong place wrong time, then my next tool is my legs, which will hopefully get me to a safe distance fast. If bad luck says even my legs aren't fast enough to get far enough away, then I have my CCW pistol with 7-8 rounds. If my luck is still so bad that at this point, my 7-8 rounds is not enough and I still haven't gotten far enough away, then Lady luck really has it out for me, and having several more mags worth of bullets is unlikely to help any since my luck has completely ran out already. US society (even in shitty ghetto urban areas in Chicago) is not so bad that a normal armed civilian's statistical chances of getting into actual gun fight (much less an extended multi-magazine dump gunfight) are beyond next to zero.

If it makes you feel safer, than go ahead and carry all the backup mags and guns you want. It's cool with me. I'm not the one who has to carry it. I do understand the justification and emotion to want to carry more ammo JUST IN CASE, but the statistics simply don't back up the diminishing returns on more ammo.. One can't logically claim to say that playing the scratch off cards and lotteries is a suckers bet then ignore the even lower statistical chances of needing multiple reloads for a random civilian gunfight. More power to you though. Perhaps instead of smug asshole comments, you can expand upon how superior or special the knowledge you have is.

Lol, nice rant. You could've just said it's too much bother to carry a spare magazine and you prefer to put your personal safety in the hands of others.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
I understand and agree with what you are saying Xero. I'm going to Washington DC in a few weeks for the annual Police Week. Because I'm surrounded by other cops who all have guns, I don't even take one.

Oh, and I take back what I said earlier about your post being possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read. Apparently someone took that as a challenge.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, and I take back what I said earlier about your post being quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on the Internet. Apparently someone took that as a challenge.

Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Oh, and I take back what I said earlier about your post being quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on the Internet. Apparently someone took that as a challenge.

No contribution to thread, no actual argument. Must be a fully loaded tactical mall ninja.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I generally carry a full magazine chambered (not +1) and two spares, for whatever I'm carrying. More about weight than anything else.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

No contribution to thread, no actual argument. Must be a fully loaded tactical mall ninja.

Of course.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Well, it was 21 rounds, 10+1 in the P228 and another 10 on the support side. Thanks to Judge Benitez though, it is now 15+1 in the P228 and another 15 on the support side.

If I wanted to go crazy, I could do 18+1 in the P226 (also on my permit) and either 18 or 20 on the support side. Gotta love Judge Benitez!

While statistically I’ll never need the gun and if I were to, 10+1 would be more than plenty, I feel a lot better with 15+1. I put a bit of effort into avoiding any situation where even strong words are needed, but life doesn’t always go as planned...

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I usually carry 8+1, and a 10 round reload.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends what I'm carrying. If it's the G32, usually a G31 spare magazine, sometimes a couple of G32 magazines, but most often just the one.

If it's smaller, a couple of reloads. For A S&W642, a couple of speed strips with six rounds each. If something like the G43, then a couple of spare 7 round magazines (factory 6 round with a Pearce + baseplate, stock magazine spring).

It also depends how I'm carrying. If I don't need to carry a lot of extra weight or it won't work, like dress clothing, then lighter is better. If I'm driving a long distance, then there's no reason not to have a couple of spare magazines and a spare pistol. A lot of the time, it's a pocket pistol, with a couple of reloads.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At work I'm carrying a M9 9mm 14+1 in the chamber plus 2 15 rounders on my duty belt. Off duty its my G19 9mm 15+1 in the chamber, 2 spare 15 round mags on my belt.

James

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
My pocket organizer/mag carrier arrived yesterday. I spent a fair amount of time with it, testing the retention level (pretty good) and directionality.

I wanted to consistently establish which way the carrier has to face in my pocket (it has differing 'front' and 'back' so decide which one of those faces my body) and which way the mags have to sit in the carrier, for me to pull mags from it and have them facing the right way in my hand to insert properly- without having to look or think.

With all that worked out today is the first day of, 'if I'm wearing pants I have the LCP (6+1) in my pocket and two spare mags in the offside pocket (6+6) so 18+1'.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

He's being an abrasive jerk, but there is a valid argument inside the jerkiness.

Do you vaccinate your kids, or count on the herd immunity provided by all the other vaccinated kids around them to keep them from being exposed to disease?

Not carrying because you count on the other cc'ers around you to provide herd immunity (at least deterrence, if not actually direct intervention if you're attacked) is almost like not vaccinating your kids. Far from a perfect analogy, but if it gets your attention it's working.

It's a form of free riding. Enjoying the benefits provided by the efforts of others without contributing anything yourself.

Carrying or not carrying is a decision every competent adult must make, but bragging that you free ride is kind of lame.

Does that help?

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post

17+1 in the gun

24 round Glock factory spare

42. It’s the answer to life after all

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He's being an abrasive jerk, but there is a valid argument inside the jerkiness.

Do you vaccinate your kids, or count on the herd immunity provided by all the other vaccinated kids around them to keep them from being exposed to disease?

Not carrying because you count on the other cc'ers around you to provide herd immunity (at least deterrence, if not actually direct intervention if you're attacked) is almost like not vaccinating your kids. Far from a perfect analogy, but if it gets your attention it's working.

It's a form of free riding. Enjoying the benefits provided by the efforts of others without contributing anything yourself.

Carrying or not carrying is a decision every competent adult must make, but bragging that you free ride is kind of lame.

Does that help?

Well, apparently me only carrying 7-8 rounds in my CCW pistol somehow equates to not carrying at all. No where did I say I didn't CCW and depend on others. I only said, that when many other law abiding people are also carrying, I don't need to carry a whole lot of extra ammo for reloads.

Your vaccine analogy makes no sense at all. I carry a CCW, so according to your analogy, I've been vaccinated, but now carrying it further, I'm not sure if you are implying I'm supposed to be the bad person because I don't keep or take even more vaccinations (more spare ammo and magazines) and depend on others??

Either way, lets get down to numbers, that no one like to actually talk about. At least for me, the numbers look like this: City of Boise published 2016 crime stats puts violent crime (all types) at 2.7 incidents per 1000 citizens. That means right off the bat, there is only a 0.27% chance for normal citizen to be involved in a violent crime, and more likely less because violent crime tends to be mostly perpetuated within a smaller segment and or locations that more law-abiding people avoid. But in this case we'll go with a full 0.27% chance for every citizen. Now of all this violent crime in Boise, only a small percentage of it actually involves guns. An even tinier percentage of the incidents involving guns with two-party shootouts NOT involving police shrinks this down yet more. Also then take into account that of these near-nonexistant civilian "shootouts" that involve MORE than the average of "2" rounds being shot, and the overwhelming "just in case" reasons for carrying extra mags as a civilian in Boise is damn near ZERO percent.

Again, I understand the "better to have and not need" emotion, but realistically and statistically (at least for me in Boise), the gun and one mag is plenty for the near-zero chance I'll ever need more than the single mag's worth of ammo, and not "need to depend on anyone else" as you and others like to imply.

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
One of the primary reasons for carrying spare magazines is not the spare ammo, but the spare magazines.

Malfunctions with magazines are one of the more common reasons for gun failures.

Having spare ammo is also nice.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Does that help?

Well, apparently me only carrying 7-8 rounds in my CCW pistol somehow equates to not carrying at all. No where did I say I didn't CCW and depend on others. I only said, that when many other law abiding people are also carrying, I don't need to carry a whole lot of extra ammo for reloads.

Your vaccine analogy makes no sense at all. I carry a CCW, so according to your analogy, I've been vaccinated, but now carrying it further, I'm not sure if you are implying I'm supposed to be the bad person because I don't keep or take even more vaccinations (more spare ammo and magazines) and depend on others??

Either way, lets get down to numbers, that no one like to actually talk about. At least for me, the numbers look like this: City of Boise published 2016 crime stats puts violent crime (all types) at 2.7 incidents per 1000 citizens. That means right off the bat, there is only a 0.27% chance for normal citizen to be involved in a violent crime, and more likely less because violent crime tends to be mostly perpetuated within a smaller segment and or locations that more law-abiding people avoid. But in this case we'll go with a full 0.27% chance for every citizen. Now of all this violent crime in Boise, only a small percentage of it actually involves guns. An even tinier percentage of the incidents involving guns with two-party shootouts NOT involving police shrinks this down yet more. Also then take into account that of these near-nonexistant civilian "shootouts" that involve MORE than the average of "2" rounds being shot, and the overwhelming "just in case" reasons for carrying extra mags as a civilian in Boise is damn near ZERO percent.

Again, I understand the "better to have and not need" emotion, but realistically and statistically (at least for me in Boise), the gun and one mag is plenty for the near-zero chance I'll ever need more than the single mag's worth of ammo, and not "need to depend on anyone else" as you and others like to imply.

You carry all the time, but not always a spare mag? Cool. Same here, until yesterday.

That's what I get for skimming posts while taking a break from something else. I must admit, I am now completely at a loss as to what that other fellow was going on about.