SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recco for a Universal Sight Tool
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recco for a Universal Sight Tool Login/Join 
posted
A while back, one of our members posted a link to a universal sight pusher tool sold on Amazon. I have that link, but Amazon doesn't sell that tool anymore (too bad, it looked like a pretty nicely designed one).

What do we like for a sight tool that will do fronts and rears for multiple pistols? Not looking to spend $200 on a Sig branded one that can't do tall sights. MGWs are a bit spendy, and they are model specific, which is a pain.

Thanks.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I have this one and I have probably used it a couple dozen times, works great

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...mwkhiDIoL&ref=plSrch

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:

That looks to potentially be a very good tool...

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:

The Wheeler is one I'd like to try. We need a new universal tool for the shop and the boss is balking at spending the dough for the MGW Sight-Pro (and all of the individual shoes that are needed).

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:MGWs are a bit spendy, and they are model specific, which is a pain.

Thanks.

That's true, but...........

I have the MGW brand specific pushers for Sig, Glock and 1911. I recently bought the Wheeler that is linked. It certainly does the job, but not as well as the individual models. I find it more time consuming to set up and it's more difficult to "feel" what is happening as the sight moves.

Probably a decent choice if you have a few models across different brands, but I'd still go with the brand specific MGW if you have a bunch.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t aware of the model-specific MGW sight tools before I bought the Sight-Pro universal, but I don’t regret my decision. As far as cost of the universal versus the specifics is concerned, I’m already ahead for having purchased one $300 tool that included straight-side and slanted sight pushers plus four inserts versus four $100 tools. Then there’s the fact that there are evidently slide clamp inserts available for far more guns than there are specific tools.

The Sight-Pro also seems to provide far better support for the slide to help prevent any bending/warping with tight sights. I cannot imagine how any other tool would work better for the purpose.

The primary drawback I see to the Sight-Pro as compared with the individual tools is being a little slower to use. The side slide supports take a few extra seconds to adjust and swapping out the slide clamp inserts and adjusting the top support takes perhaps four or five minutes. That could matter, I suppose, if one were running a production line operation with many different types of guns. The Pro is also big and heavy to handle unless it’s clamped into a vise, and that might be a hassle for some users. (I have never used a vise myself, though; holding it by hand works fine for me.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Honestly, it depends how often you install / change sights and where you like to do that.

I liked the specific MGW tools for ease of use for common firearms (SIG / Glock / etc) and ability to easily tweak firearms at the range and you don't need a vice.

If you change sights a couple times a year on different weapons, I like this option (what I currently have) - https://sightpusher.com/

It takes longer to shim and you need to have a DITY mentality, as well as using tape / etc to protect the firearm but it works well on SIGs / Glocks / Walthers. Having it in a vice helps for tight sights.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I snagged an MGW Universal tool with several inserts from one of the Sight companies at the end of SHOT Show for $200. One of the best investments I've ever made.

Getting sights adjusted or pushed on made super easy. And I've installed sights at HALF the rate wanted by local Smiths, for several shooters at my Club. So it's paid for itself already.

Great unit. Well engineered, works just fine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FN in MT,

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
MGWs Sight Pro universal is my favorite as well. I've had mine now for several years.

I do still have and use MGWs Glock specific tool, instead of buying the additional part for the Sight Pro.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reccos, guys.

As sweet as the MGW Sight-Pro is, that's a pretty huge punch in the gut, price-wise.

The basic Fisher units are just a bit too Home Depot for me (wing nuts?!) and I can't get my head around how the X2 unit works.

I hadn't seen the Wheeler unit when I did an Amazon search. That looks to be the ticket!

Rob

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SlimMan
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Jennings Machine and Tool. http://www.sightpushertool.com
He makes and excellent sight pusher at a reasonable price IMO.

Posts: 268 | Location: Parrish FL | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post