SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My glock 19/5 broke today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My glock 19/5 broke today Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
At what point did GLOCK switch to mim?

They do not use MIM for firing pins.

I didn’t think they did, but are we sure? I haven’t looked at a gen 5 during pin yet. That would not be cool if they started to.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Wait, i thought only the P365 striker would break.

Well, I've read about 365s, M&Ps and now Glocks all breaking strikers.

CZ P10C also I have read about. Canik had a lot of them breaking on their striker fired pistols.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
quote:
quote:

I didn’t think they did, but are we sure? I haven’t looked at a gen 5 during pin yet. That would not be cool if they started to.

Was meeting with one of the regional U.S. reps this week, he says non MIM. They are machined steel. He's been to the factory.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:

What did Glock say when you contacted them?

Something in German?

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
quote:
quote:

Was meeting with one of the regional U.S. reps this week, he says non MIM. They are machined steel. He's been to the factory.

This is my experience at the factory as well. The locking blocks and the extractors are MIM and the firing pins are machined.

Posts: 609 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Wait, i thought only the P365 striker would break.

Well, I've read about 365s, M&Ps and now Glocks all breaking strikers.

CZ P10C also I have read about. Canik had a lot of them breaking on their striker fired pistols.

CzP07's the first thing I replace is the FP from Cajun gun works.
Actually broke one on a HKP2000 also.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I broke a firing pin on a Browning HP. I didn't find out until I took it apart for a different reason. It still fired fine.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Ok, so where did OP get that MIM info from? Did he assume it was? Did he read on the internet? Or, Glocks sold in Europe actually have MIM firing pins? Inquiring minds want to know.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
And everyone is scared or uncomfortable to carry a BUG.

Any weapon can break at any time.

Live with it.

Wink

Exactly.... but my belt knife doesn't jam and no reloads necessary Wink

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a late production G17 Gen4 and the firing pin broke at just over 8k rounds . Glock told me they consider it a wear part and it’s not covered under warranty.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You guys with the broken firing pins/strikers etc. do you do a lot of dryfire? If so snapcap or no snapcap? Just curious. I always try to use snap caps.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
OPs probably a P365 fan and Glock hater. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be clear i'm not bashing glock i'v bought 10 of them. I think it's a bad batch of strikers or something else. It can happens. Never experienced that with the early gen3's with lot of dry firing with snapcaps. I was sure the firing pins are MIM now, sorry.

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toto:I was sure the firing pins are MIM now, sorry.

I've heard the same. In some cases, from very respected members of this board. It seems like there should be a definitive answer as to whether the OEM striker is MIM. The fact that someone was at the factory and saw them doing final finishing/machining on the part doesn't mean it didn't start out as MIM. SOMEBODY knows. Smile

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems like there should be a definitive answer as to whether the OEM striker is MIM. The fact that someone was at the factory and saw them doing final finishing/machining on the part doesn't mean it didn't start out as MIM. SOMEBODY knows.

Believe what you like. Smile I know I'm just SGOTI (some guy on the internet) but the process I witnessed was not machining of MIM made precursors, and the process was certainly not just "...final finishing/machining on the part..."

Give Glock CS a call, they're good to deal with and will give you the info you want from the people you want it from. Smile

Posts: 609 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoobaru:
Give Glock CS a call, they're good to deal with and will give you the info you want from the people you want it from. Smile

I just sent them a message through their contact form. If they respond, I'll post it here.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoobaru:

I just sent them a message through their contact form. If they respond, I'll post it here.

Sounds good. I wouldn't be surprised if you hear that some are MIM, and some are not. I just posted what I witnessed. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoobaru: I wouldn't be surprised if you hear that some are MIM, and some are not. I just posted what I witnessed. Smile

I'd say that's entirely possible, especially if your site visit was a while ago.

posted Hide Post
Glock started their MIM blocks and extractors circa 2007 IIRC. I would pay extra for machined parts, but manufacturers don't see it that way. All they care about is the bottom line. Damn shame.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by toto:I was sure the firing pins are MIM now, sorry.

I've heard the same. In some cases, from very respected members of this board.

Respected or not, the echo chamber effect applies.

Makes sense firing pins are not MIM, no spur mark that is visible on extractors and locking blocks.

Same subject came up at glocktalk, members called Glock, Glock would not discuss it.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post