SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My glock 19/5 broke today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My glock 19/5 broke today Login/Join 
posted
Yeah it's a shame my Glock 19/5 firig pin broke today after 2650 rounds. The tip of the firing pin broke, i thought that the new version would be more durable but that's not the case.
Fuck MIM!!!!

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toto:
Yeah it's a shame my Glock 19/5 firig pin broke today after 2650 rounds. The tip of the firing pin broke, i thought that the new version would be more durable but that's not the case.
Fuck MIM!!!!

What did Glock say when you contacted them?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
Originally posted by toto:
Fuck MIM!!!!

What did Glock say when you contacted them?

"My glock 19/5 broke today"

He contacted SIGforum first. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26324 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Wait, i thought only the P365 striker would break. Say it ain't so.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Wait, i thought only the P365 striker would break.

Well, I've read about 365s, M&Ps and now Glocks all breaking strikers.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could OP post a pic for public education? This would be the third Glock firing pin I've heard of breaking, like ever.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've ordered a new one through Glockparts. My gunshop has an horrible SAV i will wait 6 months before an answer. I will give him the broken firing pin and see what's happend. I'm in switzerland, and my gunshop does not buy glocks trough the switzerland dealer, so i think it would be complicated with the warranty and as i know him he has no interest to spend tim with a firnig pin.

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're entitled to contact Glock directly, instead of the local gun shop.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Maybe from Switzerland it’s easier to just get the part yourself.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
In the early days of the first Gen4 releases there were rare reports of firing pin/striker breakages. There were one or two postings I came across prior to the Gen4 with Gen3 guns as well. All were centered around Glock's changeover to MIM strikers, at least that seemed to be the common theme on the way the posting threads went. In the decade since there have fortunately been VERY few posts regarding such failures in Glocks, so one could justifiably presume that such breakages are aligned with unicorns and not rabbits in heat.

My own experiences with Glocks of the MIM era have been equally benign. Granted I don't have a Gen4 with extremely high round counts but the one I Gen4 do have that has a decent amount through it (G23, about 17,500+ as of this past Tuesday, plus about another half dozen or more range sessions that I forgot to log). And then there's the untold dry firing (maybe 3000?). So far snappy ol' 40S&W (and a few hundred 357SIG rounds) have yet to break its striker. But the gun also doesn't exhibit any primer drag or any such problematic symptoms either. The only wear items this gun has had replaced are springs and the vulnerable-to-shearing-failure cross pins (purportedly more "a thing" with 40S&W guns). All of my other Gen4 guns have much lower round counts but none have had any problems with their strikers.

I'd tend to say that you were just that unlucky one in a couple hundred thousand or so to get a defective striker.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Maybe from Switzerland it’s easier to just get the part yourself.

Doubtless so, and the original poster did, but that wasn't the point.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I've read about 365s, M&Ps and now Glocks all breaking strikers.

I had 2 firing pins break on a Kahr PM9.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC the Gen 5 striker tip has a different shape...more of a tear-drop. Not sure if that's a factor. I know we have to adjust malfunction drills with dummy rounds as a result as the Gen 5 striker tip can catch the primer area on our dummies and lock up the slide when performing a tap/rack. Didn't have that issue with Gen 4.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had exactly 1 part break out of all my firearms: the firing pin on my 1994 P229. So I don’t put any blame in MIM.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Egads!!!! All Glocks must now be crap and should never be carried again...what? Too soon?

Ok just a little levity - everyone flipped out when the P365 had its issues (and they were legitimate). I carry it and have had zero issues. Get a new firing pin/striker and carry it with confidence.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
At what point did GLOCK switch to mim?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
subbed to this thread

I've got a 19.5 MOS and I'm curious how this shakes out.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
At what point did GLOCK switch to mim?

They do not use MIM for firing pins.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GataGunner
posted Hide Post
This is why I carry a flintlock. You can't break a firing pin if you don't have a firing pin.

Posts: 64 | Registered: January 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
And everyone is scared or uncomfortable to carry a BUG.

Any weapon can break at any time.

Live with it.

Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post