SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 19 Slide Locking on Every Round
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 19 Slide Locking on Every Round Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
Went to the range yesterday with family and tried to run a box of ammo thru my G19 and the slide kept locking back after every round fired. The mag was newer with Taran Tactical base plate, my slide stop is after market extended release that I has ran flawlessly for yeas. I only had one mag with me, but plan on going out today and trying all six that I have to narrow the problem. Only way I could get the slide to release was to use the slide release.

Anything else specific I need to look for while I’m at it?

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3625 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you installed the slide stop you probably didn't install the SSL spring on the correct side of the frame pin. Spring has to be on the BOTTOM of the small pin, not the top. Common mistake.

Am I a genius or what? Not really. I did the same thing installing a Vickers SSL on my G19. A friend had his Glock tool and we just reassembled it with the spring below the pin.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com...ed-slide-stop-lever/

https://www.code9evolutions.co...ed-slide-lock-glock/

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
The slide stop is a weak link. Thats the biggest thing addressed in the Gen 5's.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Yup. It a spring issue. Not mags.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
For three pin Glocks, I created this little ditty to remind me:

The top pin is the locking block pin.
It's the first one out and the first one in.

Very important, otherwise, the slide lock spring has insufficient tension, and the pistol locks open after each shot.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've also seen the slide stop lever spring break at roughly the point it rests on the pin and then it would pop over the pin and stick "up" with recoil. It's the only part I've ever broken on my Glocks.

If you want a replacement, I have a bag of them for the three pin gen 3/4 guns because I put extended slide stops in my guns. Email me and I will mail you one FREE.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I'd either say you're riding the slide stop with your off hand or the spring is over the top pin. Easy mistake and it should pop up very obviously when you remove the slide.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience, riding the slide stop is an intermittent problem. I had this problem with a G34, and had to replace the stop with a non-extended version. If it happens with every shot it is probably the spring was not installed properly, as has already been pointed out. This was a problem I experienced with a used G23. Easily fixed.

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post