SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Rainy Day Round of Bullseye
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rainy Day Round of Bullseye Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
One of my favorite internet sayings occurs when people start to talk about "minute of bad guy" shooting, and eventually someone will say "It ain't bullseye shooting". Or someone will be referring to this or that handgun for self defense, and someone will chime in that "it ain't a bullseye" gun.
Why can't it be? I don't think defensive shooting is an either or, and certainly you can't miss fast enough to win due to a lack of fundamentals.

It was a rainy day today and I had to have some maintenance done on my sink. So after waiting around for the repairman to arrive, the actual repair, I wanted to get out of the house. It was raining but I decided to go to the range anyway. Not able to keep a big target up, I elected to break out some bullseye targets, which led to shooting the "Police L" or "Bullseye" course of fire. It is a great exercise in fundamental marksmanship ability.

I shot the course with my carry gun. A stock box P226/9 Legion. No action work, with about a 12 pound DA. I shot the first round of each stage DA.

The traditional course of fire that we fired at the FBI Firearms Instructor course is 10 rounds at 25 yards in 10 minutes. Then 5 rounds from the 15 yard line in 15 seconds (shot twice). Then 5 rounds from the 15 yard line in 10 seconds (shot twice).

I finished dropping 7 points at the 25, and 4 points at the 15, for a total of 289/300. The FBI course we had to shoot a 270 to pass the course, but most instructor level courses only require a 260, and individual classes require a 240.

Its a great little test of marksmanship ability, and carry guns do a great job. I love the Legion. A lot. I get out and shoot plastic guns from time to time, and like shooting them. But, the P226 is always like shaking hands with an old friend...

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Thanks
For the report. Is the target a specific type? Did you shoot one handed?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The target is a downloadable copy of the FBI Bullseye. It can be downloaded off of Modern service weapons dot com.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
First 10 rounds in 10 minutes, is that a typo? All the other strings are in seconds. What ammo JL?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Nope, it is 10 rounds, 10 minutes. I only took about a minute/minute and half to shoot the 10 rounds, but you have 10 by the course. I've seen it posted other places as 10 rounds, 4 minutes.

Ammo was 124 grain Freedom Reman. The Legion loves it as much as it loves Piedrarc's magic green bullets.

www.opspectraining.com

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Well done sir! Great way to spend a rainy day I may add Wink

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Jerry and nice to read someone shooting a P226 for a change. Didn't even know you had a Legion. Last new P226 you posted was a standard railed model. The rain is suckin too. But its not hot.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Nice shooting Jerry and nice to read someone shooting a P226 for a change. Didn't even know you had a Legion. Last new P226 you posted was a standard railed model. The rain is suckin too. But its not hot.

Funny story about the old black gun.
About four or five weeks ago, I was shooting a match. I came to a slide lock reload, got cover, and performed an emergency reload. As soon as the gun came to a stop, I broke the first shot of the new mag. The mag fell out of the gun at my feet. I thought that was odd, as I was sure I seated the mag. I went to my next mag, jammed it in the gun, cycled the slide, and fired as soon as the gun came to a stop. That mag dropped out the bottom and landed at my feet. The RSO shut me down at that point because all three of my mags were on the ground.

The plunger that goes into the mag release had sheered off inside the frame. I can't get it out. Bruce thinks he may can drill out the plunger, but that spot in the frame is a tight place. May be the end for the old girl.

I got the Legion out and put it into service at that time.

www.opspectraining.com

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
So it's true, you do break things.. Big Grin

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Someone has been listening to Ray a littttttlllllleeeee too much. Wink

www.opspectraining.com

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Well, I never heard of that part shearing off so yours' is a first. Maybe this won't happen with the Legion. Big Grin

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Another interesting thing I have found, for all the posturing people do about the DA shot, since I have been dry firing the Legion, I noticed that I am about 1/10 of a second slower on the first shot from the holster than I am with a smooth 8 pound DA pull.

The accuracy is the same.

www.opspectraining.com

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I am done typing on this damn phone.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I am done typing on this damn phone.
Eek Well, ok then.

www.opspectraining.com

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I had a nice post all typed and that auto predictive respelled most of it for me. I got it deactivated now.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I had posed a question about the DAK pistols. Are they DA with every trigger pull? The modern day DA/SA pistols all seem to have unfriendly 1st shot trigger pull. Some, like H&K are very odd to me being polymer triggers. The best DA shooting I've ever done was with a Bill Davis tuned 686.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The DAK has two distinct trigger pulls. One is the lighter full DA shot, and the other is a halfway point (basically) that is a bit heavier of a pull.

The DA shot is unfriendly to some, but the main point is a lack of technique. It is no offense to anyone, but it just is. This Legion above is stock, and I've found that I am about 1/10 slower on the draw from a custom gun with the same level of accuracy. Some guns are obtrusive. HK's coming in with a DA shot measured near 20 pounds. Not even I can shoot them, because it is physically impossible to pull the trigger in any fashion of good form.

I am currently working on a few projects to assist folks in the DA shot. One is about $100 worth of replacement parts. So far in testing, this gets the trigger pull down to a reliable 8 pounds or so. Another thing I am testing is factory, and it will get the trigger pull down to somewhere around the same level, but it will require a bit more maintenance. I'm just thinking that some people want to "keep it stock", and that's why I am running the second project.

Man, we live in good times. Really good times. Lots of good choices out there of all trigger types, and the DA/SA guns are about to get even easier.

Some of the stuff that I know is coming down the pike is going to please an awful lot of people.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
Jerry, good to see a range report on circular targets! I have shot bullseye matches the past four years with non-traditional bullseye guns, just to irritate my custom 1911 friends in our small local matches. I competed in 2014 with a CZ P-09 and a P-226 both with red dots. In 2015 I went to a .45 but it was a CZ 97, not a 1911.

I bought a P-07 early last year and put a red dot on it just for demonstration purposes, and then shot it in our local bullseye match and had high score with it. Winning a bullseye match with a sub 4" gun was a little too much for some of my friends. I think they got the point.

I did have one CZ-75 service gun that was a dog until I put an aftermarket bushing in it, but I don't have a single full size centerfire pistol that would hurt me at all in a formal bullseye match. My trigger finger and my mind are all the handicaps I have.

Joe

P226-X-Five 9mm, P226-9/40/357SIG/22LR, P239-9, Kahr PM40, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B 9mm, Savage 308 bolt gun, Stag Arms AR-15.

Posts: 1941 | Location: West Texas | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post