SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thoughts on this case?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on this case? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted
After a range session yesterday, when picking up the brass, my son found this jewel and shared it with me. New, factory loaded ammunition. Speer Lawman 124 grain TMJ. Didn't notice anything different with any of the shots, no issues with either of the pistols, but this case doesn't look happy.

My guess what that it was just a bad case and no reason to worry about it, but I thought I'd check here as there are others that know a lot better than I do. I don't see pressure signs on the primer, but maybe I just don't know what I am looking at...

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
That has happened to me twice, both with CCI aluminum case .38 Special, in 2 different J frames. Also had a fail to fire with that ammo. Sent the pictures to CCI, and they did not care.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1858 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Corners are still rounded on primer so pressure doesn’t look like an issue. Like you said probably just a bad case. It happens, on factory ammo it’s pretty rare IME.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Looks as it has corrosion from the spots on the case.
Shot some 1942 45 acp that had spots like that and a couple ruptures like that.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Corners are still rounded on primer so pressure doesn’t look like an issue. Like you said probably just a bad case. It happens, on factory ammo it’s pretty rare IME.

Agreed.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Cool. Thanks guys! I didn't think it was anything more than a bad (but not bad enough to cause a real problem) case, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

re rarity: That is the first time I have seen this in a factory case. I have seen two different "rounds" with missing primers over the years, but over a fair bit of ammunition, maybe even as much as some of you guys shoot in a year. Wink

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see it from time to time but only on reloaded cases. The nickle cases that I have reloaded seem to be more susceptible and the worst offenders for me. I think that it has a bit to do with "work hardening" or over belling brass during the reloading stages.

For factory ammo, it's probably a similar metallurgical/manufacturing and brittle brass issues.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Looks like the chamber might have been a little generous too.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Just a bad case, I wouldn't get too worked up about it, especially if you're not seeing a pattern. Splits from the neck like that aren't particularly dangerous, and it doesn't show any pressure signs that would concern me. Now if it was blowing out near the base, then you have a problem.

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, a bad case and nothing to be concerned about.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I shoot, reload,....shoot, reload....etc. all my handgun rounds until they eventually look like that. Big Grin

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
I shoot, reload,....shoot, reload....etc. all my handgun rounds until they eventually look like that. Big Grin

Takes a while to do that with 45 ACP but I have had a couple over 3 decades of reloading and shooting. Full house 357 a bit more frequently and usually the nickel plated cases first.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
This is a very timely post. Just today, five (5) nickel plated R-P .38 Special RNL cartridges fired through my recently acquired 1977 S&W Model 36 ruptured in their respective chambers. Since the extractor was locked up tight, the range session was over and a brass rod was required to remove the empties. Each of the cartridges were rather old with light discoloration/corrosion on their cases. Since I don't suspect they were reloads, I'm wondering if the corrosion worked its way under the nickel plating and attacked the brass. Any thoughts?

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post